BF expectations.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

hey2abills
Black Friday Pro

BF expectations.

Postby hey2abills » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:29 am

Just wondering what everyone thinks on this. For years I was a manager or sales consultant taking part in many black fridays, and for a few years I have been on this site. And it seems like every year a lot of people are not pleased with the sales on black friday. Each year I hear and read "This isn't as good as last year."
Is it possible that people over hype black friday, or remember things as just a little bit better than they actually were?

Just curious for everyone's thoughts.

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Re: BF expectations.

Postby nikkigirl01 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:39 am

I think a lot of it this year is that finances are TOUGH for a lot of people. More than ever, "we" are trying to make our Christmas shopping money go further and last longer. Many are being forced to be picky as to what deals they actually purchase this year, whereas in previous years it was more of a "get whatever you can get your hands on" attitude.

For me personally, I have only been impressed with ONE item from ONE store. (1600 piece Lego Box at WM...which if you know anything about the price of Legos, is a STEAL.) I don't buy electronics on BF, so I can't comment on those deals, but the toy deals so far have been HORRIBLE. (Hoping for Target to really step it up.) Even then, I have to really weigh my options, because unlike previous years, I don't have a CC to max out.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:40 am

Well I don't think its neccessarily the hype but with the economy I would think that there would be bigger or more dramatic deals. Then again I am not paying attention to the tv's or laptops. Until I see some good toy deals I can't give a true yes or no, kwim.

One thing I noticed about Walmarts ad that I had hoped for was their clothing. The last 2 years they have had the bubble type jackets for I think 8 and the track pants. This year they did not and infact raised the price on their pj's for children. They also need to consider brands. If I am paying 7 dollars for Wranglers, I betcha I would opt out of those and pay 10 bucks instead at Old Navy.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:46 am

nikkigirl01 wrote:I think a lot of it this year is that finances are TOUGH for a lot of people. More than ever, "we" are trying to make our Christmas shopping money go further and last longer. Many are being forced to be picky as to what deals they actually purchase this year, whereas in previous years it was more of a "get whatever you can get your hands on" attitude.

For me personally, I have only been impressed with ONE item from ONE store. (1600 piece Lego Box at WM...which if you know anything about the price of Legos, is a STEAL.) I don't buy electronics on BF, so I can't comment on those deals, but the toy deals so far have been HORRIBLE. (Hoping for Target to really step it up.) Even then, I have to really weigh my options, because unlike previous years, I don't have a CC to max out.

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. I can almost garauntee that 75% of americans are just using their cash or debit to pay for their holidays this year. With the whole BOA thing people don't want to pay an arm and a leg to pay off Christmas. I know BOA decided not to add all the fees since they pretty much got a chair threw at them. However it doesn't make us feel all cozy, next door neighbors with credit cards right now.

It is the year of neccessity or your childs most sought after items not grab it because it is a good deal.

sunshineyRushfan
Black Friday Pro

Postby sunshineyRushfan » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:58 am

I was hoping that places would have more toy deals, because my daughter is at an age that she picks out some pretty popular items that are not cheap. We also have a Wii, and those games are not cheap, and quite frankly the "deals" they offer on games she wants are not worth getting excited over.

I also wish that some larger retailers could understand that especially this year, due to the number of places opening between 10 and midnight, that they need to post their ads sooner because we need to figure out whats worth going for and where it is. I'm lucky I have people to help me because otherwise my daughter or my best friend would lose out on their gifts....because WM and TRU open the same time, and so do Kohls, BB, and Target.

I work at a large retail store as well, and I haven't worked a BF in 8 years, but I do notice that in past years not only were the stores varying their openings, but there were better deals on toys, games, and movies. I was never a big ticket buyer (this year I kinda am, though a portable DVD player is not really big ticket item), but this year I am trying to get my friend a new bass guitar which I doubt will be on sale. Was kinda hoping to get a couple more surprises for the daughter, but seeing the toy deals so far, it doesn't look like that will happen.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:37 am

I think its a few things actually, we won't ever see the big discount doorbusters again like 07 and 08 simply because the prices of those items have dropped so much. In 06 a 200$ laptop was flat out a steal, no bones about it. Now 300$ laptops are the norm and they just cannot cut them as deeply as they did back then. Even 3 years ago everyday laptops were in the 500$ range so we were still impressed to get one for 200, but with the low end ones being available every day for 250, we don't get as excited when they drop to 200$, we want to see them for 100$. If someone had told us in 08 that we would see an everyday price on a 40 in tv in the 450 range we would have been shocked and yet it has come to pass, so we don't get as excited by the cuts we see them making now.

Steff

pandagirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby pandagirl » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:40 am

steffj89 wrote:I think its a few things actually, we won't ever see the big discount doorbusters again like 07 and 08 simply because the prices of those items have dropped so much. In 06 a 200$ laptop was flat out a steal, no bones about it. Now 300$ laptops are the norm and they just cannot cut them as deeply as they did back then. Even 3 years ago everyday laptops were in the 500$ range so we were still impressed to get one for 200, but with the low end ones being available every day for 250, we don't get as excited when they drop to 200$, we want to see them for 100$. If someone had told us in 08 that we would see an everyday price on a 40 in tv in the 450 range we would have been shocked and yet it has come to pass, so we don't get as excited by the cuts we see them making now.

Steff

I think this is a really good point.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:12 am

I got tired when I was posting and didn't finish ....the other things I think that factor in is compared to 07-08 the economy is STRUGGLING massively to recover, the bubbles have burst so to speak and people are being more careful with their dollars, especially when it comes to these big ticket items and we want to think the retailers give a damn that we are hurting and when they aren't pricing things the way they have in recent past(3$ jammies anyone) especially when they are posting record profits and paying their execs billion dollar bonuses, it kinda pisses us off.

Steff

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:22 am

sportymonkey wrote:
With the whole BOA thing people don't want to pay an arm and a leg to pay off Christmas. I know BOA decided not to add all the fees since they pretty much got a chair threw at them.

You mean after the fiasco, people still bank at Bank of America? I thought everyone got smart enough to leave them!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

ioldanach
Black Friday Newbie

Postby ioldanach » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:34 am

I think what really makes it hard is trying to compete with online retailers. For example, I'm looking at buying a DSLR camera, in particular a Canon. I'm hoping someone puts up a T3i on a discount, but so far I've only seen the T3. The deals on the T3 are, however, pathetic. The normal retail price is $499, the deals are for $479, and I can buy it online, without a sale, for $400-$450. If they're not even dropping it to within the normal online discount store prices, why would I bother going to the big stores to buy it?

Today, Newegg posted a deeply discounted T3i, body only, for $599, down from $799. However, I've been able to buy that camera, at that price, for $594 elsewhere for months.

At this point, I've seen absolutely no reason to drag myself out of bed in the wee hours of the morning to go combat shopping for hyped up fake deals.

What I really think has happened is the day has gotten so much hype over the years that the stores feel comfortable coasting on the residual hype of the past and expecting (correctly, for the most part) that people will think any deal they mark as an awesome Black Friday deal is exactly that.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:48 am

teknoge3k wrote:
sportymonkey wrote:
With the whole BOA thing people don't want to pay an arm and a leg to pay off Christmas. I know BOA decided not to add all the fees since they pretty much got a chair threw at them.

You mean after the fiasco, people still bank at Bank of America? I thought everyone got smart enough to leave them!

some people can't leave a bank that easily.
i know if wells fargo started charging a bunch of fees i would be SCREWED because there's no way i could pull all of my accounts with them, and pulling some of my accounts would cause me to have other fees that i normaly don't have. I have a savings, checking, credit card, mortgage and auto loan all through wells fargo. there's no way i could get my cc, auto or mortgage out of there - and taking my checking and savings somewhere else would cause me to have a annual fee on my credit card and i'm already struggling to pay that stupid thing off.

ioldanach
Black Friday Newbie

Postby ioldanach » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 am

And now the T3i I was talking about is up on Best Buy's ad, which just got posted.

Their sale is for $799, down from $899. Of course, its on sale this weekend, ahead of black friday, for $770.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:55 am

teknoge3k wrote:
sportymonkey wrote:

LOL I hope that they did. I followed suit and transferred to a credit union on Bank Transfer day on Nov 5th. I had seen on the news this morning that BOA is helping with the foreclosures on veterans is spending, don't quote me, but I think 40mil giving each of them 112k. Don't get me wrong I think that is generous of them. But I honestly think I would give my thanks to the customers since that was their fees that had paid for it.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 pm

bfaddict wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:
sportymonkey wrote:

some people can't leave a bank that easily.
i know if wells fargo started charging a bunch of fees i would be SCREWED because there's no way i could pull all of my accounts with them, and pulling some of my accounts would cause me to have other fees that i normally don't have. I have a savings, checking, credit card, mortgage and auto loan all through wells fargo. there's no way i could get my cc, auto or mortgage out of there - and taking my checking and savings somewhere else would cause me to have a annual fee on my credit card and I'm already struggling to pay that stupid thing off.

Oh I completely understand; its easier said than done. That is why I think alot more people are staying away from the once trusted plastic. Most are trying to pay it off than rather actually spend more on that thing that was at first a good deal. Therefore, I think most will be alot pickier on what they choose to buy.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 pm

yea i used to do a little TOO much shopping lol. now i'm just effed.

Return to “Rants and Raves”