A rant and a rave for UPS.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

sajero2
Black Friday Amateur

Re: A rant and a rave for UPS.

Postby sajero2 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 am

when i first moved into my house i had a SUPER small mailbox. it was one of the first things i changed when i moved in. i got a bigger one. a couple days after i replaced it i had a note from the mailperson "thanks for the bigger mailbox" haha! i put that on my fridge for awhile.

Oh man, the last apartment building I lived in had the original mailboxes from 1927!! Those things were cool to look at, and I love vintage, original features, but wow, did I cut myself up several times over the years trying to get 3 magazines out of there that the mail carrier had somehow shove in there. I would be bleeding down my arm after shoving my hand up into that tiny metal mailbox trying to get everything out. Magazines would rip, the covers would tear off....they were truly meant for a couple envelopes back in the day, not magazines and catalogs in the 2000s!!! Right before I moved the postal service finally made my landlord put in a new bank of modern boxes. They were nice and roomy, but I was sad that he tore out the original ones. They were nice to look at!

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Kaelha wrote:At what point should I contact UPS if I haven't received my package? When I researched the tracking number, I only found this information:

Shipment Progress
Location Date Local Time Activity
East Alton,
IL, United States
11/25/2012 6:31 A.M. Agent pickup; in transit to UPS facility
United States
11/23/2012 3:05 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

I signed up for notifications and received this exact same message this morning. It was the Nikon camera from Target.
when I checked further, I noted this:

Our records show that your shipper selected UPS SurePost for this shipment. These shipments are turned over to your local United States Postal Service (USPS) to make the final delivery.

United States Postal Service (USPS) will make the final delivery attempt of your package
The USPS will typically make the delivery within one to two business days after they receive it from UPS.
Your shipment is not eligible for any delivery changes. This includes requests to have packages held for pickup, address corrections, address changes, and any other changes from the original delivery address and scheduled delivery date.

The shipper has asked that you contact them directly about this shipment. Please contact your shipper for additional assistance.

Edited to add that I sent a message to Target regarding this. I will call the post office tomorrow as well as UPS.

Edited again to add that I contacted UPS who told me to contact Target and then they gave me the site to start the process for reporting/tracking a lost package.

sigh. I hope this gets resolved before Christmas!

UPS waits til their truck is filled with items bound for the local P.O. Their separated by five digit zip codes. I's call the local UPS office and ask them for the USPS delivery confirmation number (which is on the same label). If they balk call Target and ask them for the number.

At our location the brown truck drops off things at 10am (most Carriers are gone by 9:30) the parcel is delivered the next business day. All items arriving via the brown truck are scanned as arrived (by zip code) and the information is loaded into the mainframe by midnight. The delivery supervisor at 618-259-8721 can try to look for it if you don't have a tracking number. Best case scenario you go to 200 Smith Ave. and make them find it on the spot, but I'd only do it if your reasonably sure it's there.

Let us know how things turn out.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks Vols. I do have the USPS number but it there was no info available on it when I did a search. I got two packages from UPS today, neither one was the box in question. No packages from the USPS. I called the UPS warehouse where the package was last tracked and they told me they never had the package at their location and to call Target back. I'm in MN

I called Target twice today. The first time I was given a reference number and told to call back on Friday if I didn't receive the package. I made it very clear that I was pissed off and I wanted my camera.

I then called UPS and spoke with someone in package tracking and they told me they never had possession of the package. If so, how did it get a tracking number? I called Target again and I got the the entire "I'm sorry for your disappointment" line and then I was told that if I don't receive the package by Friday, to call back and that they will issue me a complete refund. I want the camera, not a refund!

:evil:

edited to add updates

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:27 pm

Just for the heck of it, I checked online and the camera was still available in stores but not online. I called the store nearest to me and the guy told me that the camera's have been discontinued but he still had seven in stock. The price was $79.99. I went down and picked one up. I figure I probably won't be seeing the one I ordered online and that I will likely have to get a refund.

At least now I have one and I got it even cheaper than I expected!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Kaelha wrote:Thanks Vols. I do have the USPS number but it there was no info available on it when I did a search. I got two packages from UPS today, neither one was the box in question. No packages from the USPS. I called the UPS warehouse where the package was last tracked and they told me they never had the package at their location and to call Target back. I'm in MN

I called Target twice today. The first time I was given a reference number and told to call back on Friday if I didn't receive the package. I made it very clear that I was pissed off and I wanted my camera.

I then called UPS and spoke with someone in package tracking and they told me they never had possession of the package. If so, how did it get a tracking number? I called Target again and I got the the entire "I'm sorry for your disappointment" line and then I was told that if I don't receive the package by Friday, to call back and that they will issue me a complete refund. I want the camera, not a refund!

:evil:

edited to add updates

i had a camera shipped from target vanish too!!! it was about 6 months ago. the tracking never updated. they ended up refunding me with a stupid gift card because i paid via paypal. told me they couldn't refund my money. BS but i didn't want to argue with the guy that could barely speak english.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:57 pm

Wow, I knew Target's in store customer service was iffy. Their return policies are stricter than most. If they're outsourcing their phone response system it's a good reason to shop elsewhere.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:29 am

Vols44 wrote:Wow, I knew Target's in store customer service was iffy. Their return policies are stricter than most. If they're outsourcing their phone response system it's a good reason to shop elsewhere.

yea it was NOT a good experience. but i'm terrible at fighting people and i just didn't want to deal with it. at first i thought the GC was for online use only and i did throw a fit about that. how was i suppose to spend $100 online??? i'm fine with spending it in store because i shop at target a lot.
so once he told me that i could convert it to a mobile gift card and store it on my phone then i could use it in store.

and then it turned out that the first gift card they sent me, the email was funky so i'm trying to tell him that what i received was not a gift card email and he was saying it was.. finally i got through to him that what i received was not going to allow me to purchase anything.

he was nice.... and i can't fault the guy for doing his job.... it's a tough spot to be in.

lesson learned - do NOT use paypal to purchase something online at target ;)
they claim that orders purchased via your paypal they can not refund the money, it has to be done as a gift card.

i could have been nasty and filed a claim with paypal and gotten my money back.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:06 pm

bfaddict wrote:i had a camera shipped from target vanish too!!! it was about 6 months ago. the tracking never updated. they ended up refunding me with a stupid gift card because i paid via paypal. told me they couldn't refund my money. BS but i didn't want to argue with the guy that could barely speak english.

The tracking never updated in my case either. The item never left the warehouse and my bet is that they oversold the product and I will never see my package. I just hope I don't have trouble getting my refund. I went out and bought the same camera for $79.99 at the store, which is $20 cheaper than the BF price because it's being discontinued. My hubby picked up a second one for the kids to use on vacation this summer. They're a very nice little camera for the price.

I only spoke with one agent over the phone that I was able to understand clearly. I have no trouble telling people that I have a problem understanding them. I'm polite about it, but I will make it clear.

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:26 am

Vols44 wrote:I'll check this thread every day or so to help people with the USPS. I'll answer PM's as well. Goodness knows the Post Office needs all the business and positive PR we can handle. Call it a version of asking the mailman a question.

I think I had seen this answered earlier but cant find it. Do the mail carriers scan all items as delivered before leaving for their route?
Was tracking a package and it says delivered today at 2:26 am and I am hoping this is the case since I didnt get it.

Thanks

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:18 pm

inthedark wrote:
Vols44 wrote:I'll check this thread every day or so to help people with the USPS. I'll answer PM's as well. Goodness knows the Post Office needs all the business and positive PR we can handle. Call it a version of asking the mailman a question.

I think I had seen this answered earlier but cant find it. Do the mail carriers scan all items as delivered before leaving for their route?
Was tracking a package and it says delivered today at 2:26 am and I am hoping this is the case since I didnt get it.

Thanks

Some will do it the wrong way with the intent of delivering the item regardless of circumstances. I'm suspicious of the 2:26am scan. It's probably when it arrived somewhere. At our local plant items will show a midnight to 3am arrival, 4-6am departure, 8-10am arrival at the delivery unit and a 10am-6pm delivery scan. Hope this helps.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Lol yeah the tracking event times are oddly sketchy this year on some of my packages I'm like hell no this isn't right. I've seen one that said status delivered but under current location the town was incorrect lol. needless to say it was on my front stoop lol. Phew!

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:08 pm

john.daggett wrote:Lol yeah the tracking event times are oddly sketchy this year on some of my packages I'm like hell no this isn't right. I've seen one that said status delivered but under current location the town was incorrect lol. needless to say it was on my front stoop lol. Phew!

That will happen with the USPS if a Carrier is delivering out of their zone (zip code) and enters their home zone at the end of a scanning cycle. The end justifies the means in this case.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:10 pm

Kaelha wrote:
bfaddict wrote:i had a camera shipped from target vanish too!!! it was about 6 months ago. the tracking never updated. they ended up refunding me with a stupid gift card because i paid via paypal. told me they couldn't refund my money. BS but i didn't want to argue with the guy that could barely speak english.

The tracking never updated in my case either. The item never left the warehouse and my bet is that they oversold the product and I will never see my package. I just hope I don't have trouble getting my refund. I went out and bought the same camera for $79.99 at the store, which is $20 cheaper than the BF price because it's being discontinued. My hubby picked up a second one for the kids to use on vacation this summer. They're a very nice little camera for the price.

I only spoke with one agent over the phone that I was able to understand clearly. I have no trouble telling people that I have a problem understanding them. I'm polite about it, but I will make it clear.

was this the nikon camera that was $99??? i order that for my friend online and it did arrive. was tempted to buy it for myself... even more tempting at $79

saladdays
Black Friday Pro

Postby saladdays » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:53 pm

bfaddict wrote:
Kaelha wrote:

was this the nikon camera that was $99??? i order that for my friend online and it did arrive. was tempted to buy it for myself... even more tempting at $79

Reminds me when I bought a nice TV for like $200 or something about two years ago. Does anyone else remember this? I know others had the same problem. I believe it was some sort of error for whatever store it was and they weren't originally going to fill all the orders, but then they changed their minds and at least filled mine.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:17 pm

bfaddict wrote:was this the nikon camera that was $99??? i order that for my friend online and it did arrive. was tempted to buy it for myself... even more tempting at $79

Yes, exact same one. Target is processing my refund for the one I ordered online.

Return to “Rants and Raves”