A rant and a rave for UPS.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Re: A rant and a rave for UPS.

Postby Vols44 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Ouch, some of these stories are down right painful. When the VA sends our controlled substances via USPS it's sent with a signature confirmation label so the recipient has to be present for delivery. Ditto any insured item valued over two hundred dollars. Naturally it's up to the senders to use the smartest services for their customers.

I've witnessed many weather damaged parcels at a residences while completing my deliveries. No telling how long they sat there. The classics are holiday fruit boxes (Harry & David, Hickory Farms) on a snow covered porch (read, freezing weather) left to spoil and rot by Brown or Fedex.

Happy shopping & shipping everyone.

brentd
Black Friday Pro

Postby brentd » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:11 pm

I've been fortunate to have *great* UPS drivers everywhere I've lived and worked in the last 10 years or so. My driver for the past few years also has my mother's workplace on his route before my house, so if he has something signature-required to deliver to me he will leave it with her since he knows I won't be home from when he comes through. I've also had great experiences with the local UPS depot in picking up packages after hours, shipping from there or tracking down issues with missing packages.

The corporate 800 number, however, I have NEVER had good service from. None of the local facility numbers are listed in the phone book, and the corporate customer service flat out refuses to give you a direct number to them, even though they are the ONLY ones with first-hand experience with your delivery...even if your package is currently AT that facility. Recently was waiting on an important order of 2 packages. Office where they were being shipped was closed on Fridays during the summer, but had since been open on Fridays again for weeks. New driver marked the shipment as "Business closed, redelivery attempt next day" without even bothering to visit. Infuriated, we tried to track down the shipment. Corporate tells us to wait til after 8pm, but that wasn't an option and this was *their* fault for not attempting delivery at all. Kept refusing to give us the number to the local depot. Finally got someone who caved, called local depot. They called the driver and figured out the issue. The manager of the depot PERSONALLY drove to meet the driver on his route to get the packages and hand-delivered them in his personal vehicle on the way home from his shift. Local service at its best.

ptldrabbit
Black Friday Pro

Postby ptldrabbit » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:27 pm

My son who drives for Fed-Ex Home Delivery (not corporate so no benefits, lower pay) told me that next week they will go to a 6 day a week schedule for the holiday rush, almost three weeks ahead of what they have done in the past and they expect very high volumes this year. He uses his own cell phone and leaves his number for customers so they can contact him about a delivery. Most will go the extra mile but not all just like everywhere else.

I do a lot of my shopping thru Amazon, so I see the drivers more than once a week sometimes during this time of year and I leave candy in a bowl for them out on the porch.
Life is uncertain . . . . . eat dessert first and then go shopping!

GinaBeana87
Black Friday Pro

Postby GinaBeana87 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:32 pm

ptldrabbit wrote:My son who drives for Fed-Ex Home Delivery (not corporate so no benefits, lower pay) told me that next week they will go to a 6 day a week schedule for the holiday rush, almost three weeks ahead of what they have done in the past and they expect very high volumes this year. He uses his own cell phone and leaves his number for customers so they can contact him about a delivery. Most will go the extra mile but not all just like everywhere else.

I do a lot of my shopping thru Amazon, so I see the drivers more than once a week sometimes during this time of year and I leave candy in a bowl for them out on the porch.

Great idea! My UPS and Fed Ex people have all been great at our new house. They even leave little notes in our mail box to let us know we have a package since we normally just go in through our garage. What a nice way to say thanks for going that extra mile!

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:23 pm

I ship all the time and I NEVER use UPS. Worst service ever, packages are banged up all the time. It even says on their website that "fragile, this end up sticker will not be observed" FED-Ex however will put stickers on for you and make sure your package arrives safely!

choochoomama
Black Friday Amateur

Postby choochoomama » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:35 pm

XmasDVD wrote:My wife gets her medicine in the mail through UPS (not our choice) and they used to knock and run and leave the note that the package is at the office. Office closes at 5pm and I do not get off work till 5pm so it made it very hard to get to the office and she needs these meds. Finally I got the shipper to send it "no signature required" - they still knock and run, but at least they leave the package.

I get my meds through Fed Ex. A few years ago, my old address was mistakenly put on the envelope by the pharmacy (right after I had moved to a new house). I'm talking about $3000 cancer meds!!!! The people who had moved into my old house kept the medicine and did who knows what with them. The pharmacy had Fed Ex go back to the house the next day and the people told them that I was their niece and I got my meds no problem!!!! They were lying. I didn't even know them!!!!

It was the pharmacy's fault obviously. I bet those people thought "oh boy! Free pills!!!! I wonder how high I can get from these?" (Not at all, but pretty sick to your stomach).

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:35 am

I know this isn't really UPS fault, but hate the UPS mail innovations where they partner we the usps. Once items are handed over to the post office you just never know where its gonna end up. This is the route that one of my items took, notice that it went from Ohio to Detroit, to a city right next to me, then back to Ohio and then back to the city by me. Had 2 items sent the same time, same place, even same item, 1 was stuck in Allen Park for 5 days and now its on its way back to Ohio. I get a headache trying to figure out what the heck their doing. Sorry for the long rant.

Date/Time Event Name Location
Dec 14 2011 2:59PM Package delivered by local post office ROMULUS, MI
Dec 14 2011 8:26AM Package out for post office delivery TAYLOR, MI
Dec 14 2011 8:16AM Package Sorted by local post office TAYLOR, MI
Dec 14 2011 12:48AM Received by the local post office TAYLOR, MI
Dec 13 2011 10:21PM Package processed by local post office ALLEN PARK, MI
Dec 12 2011 7:16PM Package processed by local post office CLEVELAND, OH
Dec 10 2011 8:14PM Shipment Acceptance at PO ALLEN PARK, MI
Dec 9 2011 1:41PM Shipment Info Received by Post Office DETROIT, MI
Date Description Location
Dec 10 2011 Package transferred to Post Office DETROIT, MI
Dec 9 2011 Ready for post office entry
Dec 9 2011 Package received by dest MI facility Groveport, OH
Dec 8 2011 Package transferred to dest MI facility Orlando, FL
Dec 8 2011 Package processed by Mail Innovations Orlando, FL
Dec 7 2011 Package received for processing Orlando, FL

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:35 pm

We had some items we ordered from Kohls directly to my daughter in seattle. Gave wife her address she sent me. wife left a # off the street so it was sent back with a bad address. we called UPS and they said Sorry, too info down and siad they would call us back. Well they did and we gave them the correct street #. Low and behold tracking state no apt #. OMG! daughter never gave apt#. Contact her and then call ups back. Get passed to a person in that local distro center. "OH Yeah those three Packages!" he replys. They know these and have a laugh over the whole mess. Gave him the apt # and next day my daughter had her Birthday Presents, only 11 days late. they were very understanding and helpfull.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:23 pm

i have a RAVE for UPS

i shipped off my xmas stuff to my parents on monday. i did the prepaid label online and i paid $33-ish.
today i'm checking my cc statement and i notice the $33 is still pending but there's another $24 charge from UPS that went through on wednesday.
i kinda freaked out, said something to my friend. also stated that the $24 charge had a tracking number listed on it so i put it into the UPS website and it linked to my package (that was delivered yesterday).

she then told me that UPS will actually weigh the package themselves and if you figured it wrong they will correct the amount you paid. she said the $33 charge will eventually drop off. so instead of paying $33 i only paid $24! :D

although i guess if you completely weighed it wrong and you were suppose to pay more then that would really suck lol

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:12 pm

FWIW, the Post Office will be tracking shipments with control numbers as they arrive and leave each stop. Daily e-mail notices are available. Just cut and paste the number in the usps.com window and a complete itinerary will be on the screen by date, time and location which mirrors it's competitors programs. Printing labels with free track and confirm barcodes is as easy as pie.

inthedark
Black Friday Pro

Postby inthedark » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:08 am

I dont know where to begin or who to blame. I had ordered that cat tree from petsmart that was 75% and when I tracked it it said it was delivered yesterday. So called up ups and they said yes it was delivered and I said not to me so she read off an address that was in California, I live in Michigan. I had ordered 2 things and the other has my address. UPS says petsmart must have given wrong address.
Called petsmart and they say UPS messed up but they will try to contact the people it was delivered to and see if they can get it back.
The lady at petsmart said she would just send me out another one but it is out of stock and she could give me a refund. I told her no, I want my 129. cat tree for the 32. that I paid. She said that she will see what she can do and call me back. Havnt heard anything yet.
I really really want the cat tree and not a refund. Done ranting for now.

On the other hand my 60in vizio was delivered today, its huge and wonderful and I am in love :D

sajero2
Black Friday Amateur

Postby sajero2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm

I had a similar experience with UPS. It was last Christmas and I was waiting for an expensive gift to be delivered for my dad. I lived in a 3-story vintage apartment building at the time and the packages would be left in the entryway. I was home all evening (UPS always came after 5:00) and never got buzzed or anything to let anyone in. Just for kicks I tracked my package and it said "Delivered" with no name, location, nothing! I looked all over the main part of the building and there was no package. I called UPS and they were just like, "Sorry, you have to call the shipper." Even though YOUR DRIVER delivered my package to who knows where?!

It turned out okay because later that evening I was bringing my dog out and lo and behold there were a few packages outside our locked front door on the porch. A nice person who had these packages randomly left at their house brought them down to our apartment where they should have been delivered in the first place.

Everyone makes mistakes, but I was so put off by customer service not helping me at all when THEIR driver left the package at some random house, and not only that, didn't have anyone sign for it or leave a note about where it was or anything! Not sure how the shipper is supposed to help me when they can't control where the driver is leaving things. :roll:

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Had three deliveries today.. First ups, then a penske truck, then fedex... Cant say I have had any memorable problems with deliveries, but was definitely happy with it looking like christmas at my front door. Had 10 boxes delivered today.. Yippee

sajero2
Black Friday Amateur

Postby sajero2 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:52 pm

On another note, I had the best customer service EVER last holiday season with Uncommon Goods (www.uncommongoods.com — Check them out because they're so nice!!).

Again, waiting on an expensive gift and cutting it super close to Christmas, this time the postal service said it was delivered and it was no where to be found. I contacted Uncommon Goods for help when the post office said it wasn't their problem, and Uncommon Goods was AWESOME.

They immediately sent me out another package on expedited shipping at no cost to me, with the request that if my other one even showed up to please send back. Now, my package was showing as delivered, so they just completely trusted me that I wasn't lying and trying to get a second pricey gift for free.

My post man eventually found my other package and I of course sent it right back to Uncommon Goods since I had the second one, and they even paid for shipping the other one back to them!

I left them a glowing review and try to tell everyone to shop there because really, I felt they did more than they had to in that predicament, when it was totally the post office's fault and again, they were going on my word.

rogue
Black Friday Newbie

Postby rogue » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Never had probs with usps, except about 9 years ago, stuff was never making it to my dads pobox i was ordering and then when I filed a report on it after 3 times in a row they started keeping a eye out on my stuff for a while and caught the employee that was jacking my stuff. Great customer service there

Now UPS on the other hand could never seem to find my old house I moved out of a few months ago even though I was next door to a huge eye center/eye doctor clinic. Would take 3 days of me finally haveing to threaten to come down with a police report for stolen property and/or lawsuit to get them to deliver to my stuff. They kept trying to send it to a adresses on the other side of town that didnt exist even though the lable the place i bought it form clearly had my house adresses on it, UPS kept putting a diffrent lable on it. Not sure how they work at my new house, but ill find out today.

Fedex, have never had probs at my old house with them, so not sure on my new house yet but will see later on this week.

Return to “Rants and Raves”