A rant and a rave for UPS.

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

A rant and a rave for UPS.

Postby PokeMeg » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Yesterday, the Xbox I recently ordered from Best Buy was set to arrive. I order a lot of packages, so I knew the UPS man would show up around 12pm, so I went home for lunch.

When I checked the status of my tracking number, to my surprise it was DELIVERED. But not to me. Somebody named 'Barb' at the 'Front Desk' had signed for it. I called UPS and explained to them that somebody else had my package. Their response?

"It's at the front desk."

I live in a house. There is no front desk. They said to call the shipper, and to have them help me find my package! The customer service at UPS was absolutely HORRIBLE at helping me. I called Best Buy, and they actually did manage to help me get in contact with somebody at UPS who could help me. Even then, their response was "we will call you by the end of the day with more information."

Eventually, they found my package and delivered it to my house a few hours later.

I was still pretty upset with UPS, and their horrible customer service.

But today the UPS man for my area stopped by my house while I was home for lunch, and personally apologized, and told me he accidentally delivered it to the church down the street. I can't stay mad at them after getting a personal apology from the person who made the mistake. :]
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

GinaBeana87
Black Friday Pro

Re: A rant and a rave for UPS.

Postby GinaBeana87 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:35 pm

It is nice that he personally apologized but what crappy service from the UPS customer service people! What do they mean you should call the shipper? They are the ones that gave it Barb! I think I would have been talking to a superviser or something. Good job on keeping a cool head!

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:56 pm

I hope nobody has to deal with their customer service. They kept trying to tell me that it was at the front desk, and I had to keep telling them I was in a house. No front desk. "Well, it says the front desk." dfjghsdlfh I know what it says! There is no front desk at my house!

If it would have been a package with something under $20, I wouldn't have been so frantic. But this was a $400 xbox! I am glad that a Church got the package and not somebody who would have loved a free new xbox.
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:40 pm

unfortunately it's their policy that if something happens to your package, then the shipper has to file the claim with UPS, you can't yourself. that's why they told you to call the shipper.
usually companies are pretty good about helping you out if a package of theirs to you goes missing.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:41 pm

UPS we never have a problem with...FED EX however, I couldn't begin to tell you the # of problems we have on a nearly everything that gets shipped by them.....ridiculous!!!!
steff

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:31 pm

I am so sorry you went through that! Thank goodness it was sorted out and you got your package. $20 item or $400 I would have been furious! Very cool that they gave a personal apology.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Did you hear UPS and Fed-Ex are merging. They will be called Fed-UP :lol:

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:02 pm

haha

killasnake
Admin

Postby killasnake » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:03 pm

:lol:

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:17 pm

Have to be biased here. Brown and Fedex will drop parcels anywhere and run back to their trucks after ringing the bell once. Parcels are placed in tripping locations and in bad weather.

With USPS any parcel too large for the mail receptacle must be placed in the customers hands or the Carrier is liable. Some Carriers will take chances, but it's not worth someone's career to subject themselves to disobeying specific orders and imperiling customer's merchandise.

Naturally I can only speak for myself. Since the Post Office delivers door-to-door their Carriers care a lot more for their customers.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:36 pm

UPS is the only one I never have trouble with, and since he doesnt make a lot for dragging my junk all the way out to the ends of the earth for me, I always try to do something nice for him @ the holidays. Fed EX is still on my crap list. My expedited overnight debit card took 4 days to deliver, my overnighted cell phone took 11 and a ring i ordered a couple of years ago took them 6. we are off the beaten path and i realize that, however, I took the time to print a map of our development, highlighted the path to our house wrote down ALL contact info, AND offered to meet them at the entrance if they let me know they have a package on the truck in the mornings....OH YEAH and we have had the same driver for 5 of the last 6 years. the driver that was here the first year was great!
I even showed the current driver where my house is and where to put the packages in case I am not here or there is inclement weather....NOT that FREAKING HARD...

The post office never makes sure to get it in our hands and I have had several things stolen from our mailboxes.

Steff

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:29 pm

steffj89 wrote:UPS is the only one I never have trouble with, and since he doesnt make a lot for dragging my junk all the way out to the ends of the earth for me, I always try to do something nice for him @ the holidays. Fed EX is still on my crap list. My expedited overnight debit card took 4 days to deliver, my overnighted cell phone took 11 and a ring i ordered a couple of years ago took them 6. we are off the beaten path and i realize that, however, I took the time to print a map of our development, highlighted the path to our house wrote down ALL contact info, AND offered to meet them at the entrance if they let me know they have a package on the truck in the mornings....OH YEAH and we have had the same driver for 5 of the last 6 years. the driver that was here the first year was great!
I even showed the current driver where my house is and where to put the packages in case I am not here or there is inclement weather....NOT that FREAKING HARD...

The post office never makes sure to get it in our hands and I have had several things stolen from our mailboxes.

Steff

My anti-theft suggestion is a note to your Carrier that you do not want parcels left at your address. They will leave PS Form 3849, it let's you identify the item, read where it's located and pick it up at your convenience. A call to your delivery station will do the trick 99% of the time.

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:52 pm

PokeMeg wrote:Yesterday, the Xbox I recently ordered from Best Buy was set to arrive. I order a lot of packages, so I knew the UPS man would show up around 12pm, so I went home for lunch.
When I checked the status of my tracking number, to my surprise it was DELIVERED. But not to me. Somebody named 'Barb' at the 'Front Desk' had signed for it. I called UPS and explained to them that somebody else had my package. Their response?
"It's at the front desk."
I live in a house. There is no front desk. They said to call the shipper, and to have them help me find my package! The customer service at UPS was absolutely HORRIBLE at helping me. I called Best Buy, and they actually did manage to help me get in contact with somebody at UPS who could help me. Even then, their response was "we will call you by the end of the day with more information."
Eventually, they found my package and delivered it to my house a few hours later.
I was still pretty upset with UPS, and their horrible customer service.
But today the UPS man for my area stopped by my house while I was home for lunch, and personally apologized, and told me he accidentally delivered it to the church down the street. I can't stay mad at them after getting a personal apology from the person who made the mistake. :]

Same EXACT thing happened to me. My BF bought me a Vera Bradley bag. UPS delivered it to the next door "neighbor.". When we called UPS, they told us to go ask for it back. I politely refused. UPS left a note for them to return it to us. They did, OPENED and obviously with intentions to keep it. Opened the card, took out the wrapping, etc. Ups did call to confirm we got it and apologized but I sure was disappointed!

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Postby caravaggio » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:27 pm

It's stuff like prevents me from ordering big/expensive items via the mail. Though for the most part Fedex/UPS have delivered to the house (though I've noticed when my dad gets work packages they're usually first thing in the morning but when I order a bluray/game it's usually at 6am...), when I had the xbox repaired I took the day off to make sure it wasn't going to sit in front of the house for anybody to see and grab.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:29 pm

My wife gets her medicine in the mail through UPS (not our choice) and they used to knock and run and leave the note that the package is at the office. Office closes at 5pm and I do not get off work till 5pm so it made it very hard to get to the office and she needs these meds. Finally I got the shipper to send it "no signature required" - they still knock and run, but at least they leave the package.

Return to “Rants and Raves”