BF 8PM, BF 10PM, BF 12AM, BF 2AM, BF4AM.....geez!!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

blueredzone
Black Friday Pro

Re: BF 8PM, BF 10PM, BF 12AM, BF 2AM, BF4AM.....geez!!

Postby blueredzone » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:06 pm

with all the midnight sales and what not I think it might be better for retailers. The retailers don't make any money on doorbusters, thats just to get people in the door. Its the extras that you buy that make them the money. The doorbusters are loss leaders to get bottom feeders in the store.

By opening up at midnight they get the negative profit out of the way early, then the higher ticket items come on normal business hours. If I wanted to buy a high dollar item, why would I want to fight for attention with the sales clerk with someone who is buying a 200 laptop, that they will have to replace next year because it lacks in quality.

Stores are busier on black friday but they make more money on Saturday. The sooner they can get to the Saturday type of Customers the better. Hence Midnight sales.

I for one think its a good idea

Does it mess up peoples timing? Absolutely, will you buy less doorbusters? Probably.

How is that not good for retailers?

less doorbusters seekers= less negative profit margin

You will then probably do more shopping at that one store, so more profit for retailers.

Seems to me, retailers have finally figured out how to make money on black friday

buynstuff4fun
Black Friday Pro

Postby buynstuff4fun » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Respectfully disagree. In this economy, its the doorbusters and big sales that pull people into the stores in the first place. I think you eliminate the ability to access the deals, and people will buy less in general. I think buyers are getting smarter, and won't pay "Saturday" prices when they are used to BF prices.

danimo
Black Friday Pro

Postby danimo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 pm

I think the difference is in the 'grab everything you can because it's going to be gone in the next 2 minutes' mentality. If you get people into crazed shopping mode, they will just run around your store, snatching up everything with a sale sign on it without doing the research to see if it's a good deal. Yeah, you lose a bit on doorbusters, but people get crazy when they are in a hurry. As I am going to do, I'm going to a single store in hurry mode. It's whoever has the doorbuster that matches my needs. I will shop _that_ store in crazy mode, then I will slowly and calmly walk around the other stores, knowing I've missed anything really good and I will weigh my options better.

Last year, I went to walmart and shopped in craze mode and then Target in craze mode too. This year, if I pick Walmart first, Target will only get marginal profits from me, rather than the 'grab everything' thing I did last time.

BFPrincess
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFPrincess » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:51 am

I would love an 8pm start time! Then I wouldn't be as concerned with the driving while tired thing!

Logan
Black Friday Pro

Postby Logan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm so upset. My ENTIRE MALL is opening at 12 am. It had been perfect in the past. Different stores would open up at different times giving me time to go from one to another and make trips back to the car. This throws my usual plan all out of wack.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Logan wrote:I'm so upset. My ENTIRE MALL is opening at 12 am. It had been perfect in the past. Different stores would open up at different times giving me time to go from one to another and make trips back to the car. This throws my usual plan all out of wack.

My God! - what state are you in?

I live in NJ and at the malls I have gone to they are opening at 4/5 am?

Logan
Black Friday Pro

Postby Logan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:54 pm

jediknight wrote:
Logan wrote:I'm so upset. My ENTIRE MALL is opening at 12 am. It had been perfect in the past. Different stores would open up at different times giving me time to go from one to another and make trips back to the car. This throws my usual plan all out of wack.

My God! - what state are you in?

I live in NJ and at the malls I have gone to they are opening at 4/5 am?

I'm in a suburb of Los Angeles - California. It had always been a quiet peaceful mall too.

crzmom2
Black Friday Newbie

Postby crzmom2 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Anyone who really has a problem with the midnight opening times should email the corporate offices of these retail stores. I emailed Target, and Kohl's. I received an email back saying the marketing departed thought competing with the other stores would bring more sales. Tell the these companies your thoughts and tell them to do a little research about people's true feelings about the opening times.

The staggered opening times makes Black Friday much more fun and exciting trying to get to the next store and get a good deal. Now we have to pick one store and skip the door busters is all other stores.

Oh well! Happy Shopping everyone!

aritomcox
Black Friday Amateur

Postby aritomcox » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:42 pm

I like the 4-5 am times, too. These 10 and midnight openings are Ok, but any earlier and they'll be cutting into Thanksgiving. I'm not going to miss spending Thanksgiving with my family to get in line. I'll still be munching on pumpkin pie!

Logan
Black Friday Pro

Postby Logan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 pm

aritomcox wrote:I like the 4-5 am times, too. These 10 and midnight openings are Ok, but any earlier and they'll be cutting into Thanksgiving. I'm not going to miss spending Thanksgiving with my family to get in line. I'll still be munching on pumpkin pie!

Exactly. With the midnight opening, i'm already going to feel rushed to finish dessert, say goodbye to guests, and give myself some time to rest before heading to the store. I like the 4 am because my stomach had sometime to digest the huge meal I just ate. I'm glad I don't have any 10pm openings, as I am never done by dessert then.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Soon thanksgiving will be at a giant table at walmart.

Miccayla
Black Friday Amateur

Re:

Postby Miccayla » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 pm

my4boyz98 wrote:I envision a bunch of us tired from being up all night the day before Thanksgiving making pies, then up all day on Thanksgiving cooking and entertaining guests (And dealing with kids) then up all afternoon and evening preparing..........then up all night Thanksgiving and BF chasing the sales.

I then envision, cranky hateful people, car accidents, hateful parents because we are ALL exhausted. I envision many of us coming down sick..........

I completly agree!! My husband is deployed so I will be trying to juggle it all alone AGAIN this year and I hate that the sales are at midnight I cant skip out celebrating with my kids to go get a tv for $200 Im so disappointed with these hours it was different when it was kmart because i just went the day after on actualy BF and got the same deals because they were never sold out.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:15 pm

miccayla, where are you located?

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:46 pm

crzmom2 wrote:Anyone who really has a problem with the midnight opening times should email the corporate offices of these retail stores. I emailed Target, and Kohl's. I received an email back saying the marketing departed thought competing with the other stores would bring more sales. Tell the these companies your thoughts and tell them to do a little research about people's true feelings about the opening times.

With all due respect, emailing corporate is a waste of time. Only one thing will change midnight openings and that's a drop in overall sales. Unless their numbers go down, it won't change.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:02 pm

krazymop wrote:
crzmom2 wrote:Anyone who really has a problem with the midnight opening times should email the corporate offices of these retail stores. I emailed Target, and Kohl's. I received an email back saying the marketing departed thought competing with the other stores would bring more sales. Tell the these companies your thoughts and tell them to do a little research about people's true feelings about the opening times.

With all due respect, emailing corporate is a waste of time. Only one thing will change midnight openings and that's a drop in overall sales. Unless their numbers go down, it won't change.

You got that right!!
Drop in overall sales for BF 2010 at Best Buy led to them thinking about and creating a much better BF 2011 Best Buy ad.

Plus a few emails to BB Corporate about how they got smacked down in 2010 by the Target and Walmart tag team.

Return to “Rants and Raves”