No money to shop on BF this year

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

Onaseriousbudget
Black Friday Newbie

No money to shop on BF this year

Postby Onaseriousbudget » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:41 pm

:( I have been BF shopping for about 18 years. I have worked for the last 22 years consistently. But I dont think I will be able to shop this year due to financial issues and I am sad about it :( I had an unexpected illness that took me out of work in March of this year, ending up on disability and have been struggling to pay my bills ever since, so I dont see any money for BF shopping this year. When you are so used to working and making money to provide for yourself and then ending up in a situation like this is tough :( I used to start saving every penny starting in August by taking my lunch, doing my own hair, not eating out, saving my bonus, etc just to shop on BF. I guess I will have to find something else to do this year.

Paladen
Black Friday Pro

Postby Paladen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 pm

Go out anyway and just enjoy being there in the midst of the madness.

I usually don't do a lot of shopping on BF myself, but I enjoy the experience of being out with all the other people.

Who says you have to spend money to have fun? :)

Onaseriousbudget
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Onaseriousbudget » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Paladen wrote:Go out anyway and just enjoy being there in the midst of the madness.

I usually don't do a lot of shopping on BF myself, but I enjoy the experience of being out with all the other people.

WOW! Great suggestion! Maybe I will do that. I do enjoy being out there "in the midst" of things. Thanks :D

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Re: No money to shop on BF this year

Postby Russell Burrows » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:15 pm

Onaseriousbudget wrote::( I have been BF shopping for about 18 years. I have worked for the last 22 years consistently. But I dont think I will be able to shop this year due to financial issues and I am sad about it :( I had an unexpected illness that took me out of work in March of this year, ending up on disability and have been struggling to pay my bills ever since, so I dont see any money for BF shopping this year. When you are so used to working and making money to provide for yourself and then ending up in a situation like this is tough :( I used to start saving every penny starting in August by taking my lunch, doing my own hair, not eating out, saving my bonus, etc just to shop on BF. I guess I will have to find something else to do this year.

Wailk, walk, walk!! no gasoline needed and every dollar saved on short walking trips to the nearby store is money for BF.

Suzapaloooza
Black Friday Pro

Postby Suzapaloooza » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. You can definitely get a snowglobe at JCP and the free items with any purchase (like at Old Navy). Then, just return the "any purchase" item if you can't afford it.

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 pm

See if you can scrounge up $100.... Just 25 a check for the next 4 checks, even if it's from disability. (I know, easier said than done!). Do u have an eBay acct? You prob have a couple hundred around the house in sellable items! U can get 30-50 for a used clothes lot in good condition. If u can get 100 (or more), make it a challenge to see how far you can make it go.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Postby john.daggett » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:42 pm

My advice would be to visit your local pawn shop and pawn something for the money. Then if you really need the item back pay your dues and retrieve it.

nikol0304
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikol0304 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:46 pm

iamkristen wrote:See if you can scrounge up $100.... Just 25 a check for the next 4 checks, even if it's from disability. (I know, easier said than done!). Do u have an eBay acct? You prob have a couple hundred around the house in sellable items! U can get 30-50 for a used clothes lot in good condition. If u can get 100 (or more), make it a challenge to see how far you can make it go.

I agree. There's always a way to make a few extra bucks. I have played catch-up many times myself..but there's no way id let it totally prevent me from partaking in the festivities.

Imagine how many dvds and $3 pjs that even$50 can get u!

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:30 pm

go for the free stuff - Doesn't Target/IKEA feed people? JCPenney has the FREE Snow Globes - There must be more freebies

angel_of_oz
Black Friday Pro

Postby angel_of_oz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:48 pm

nikol0304 wrote:
iamkristen wrote:See if you can scrounge up $100.... Just 25 a check for the next 4 checks, even if it's from disability. (I know, easier said than done!). Do u have an eBay acct? You prob have a couple hundred around the house in sellable items! U can get 30-50 for a used clothes lot in good condition. If u can get 100 (or more), make it a challenge to see how far you can make it go.

I agree. There's always a way to make a few extra bucks. I have played catch-up many times myself..but there's no way id let it totally prevent me from partaking in the festivities.

Definitely ALWAYS a way to make some cash. Where I live there has been a ton of Facebook groups pop up for people to sell stuff on locally. Clothes have been going very very well on there! (YAY free to post!) Craigslist...again Free :0)

Most of the time I wind up in the same boat thinking SHOOT we have no money, but we always manage to find some to go. Might not get anything big ticket, but even the little things help out a bunch for Christmas!

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:05 pm

angel_of_oz wrote:
nikol0304 wrote:

Definitely ALWAYS a way to make some cash. Where I live there has been a ton of Facebook groups pop up for people to sell stuff on locally. Clothes have been going very very well on there! (YAY free to post!) Craigslist...again Free :0)

Most of the time I wind up in the same boat thinking SHOOT we have no money, but we always manage to find some to go. Might not get anything big ticket, but even the little things help out a bunch for Christmas!

Same here! Disappointed to be scaling back (big time) this year, but looking forward to the challenge!

VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:04 am

Paladen wrote:Go out anyway and just enjoy being there in the midst of the madness.

this.

sometimes i just go for the hell of it lol

kcurls
Black Friday Amateur

Postby kcurls » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:47 am

Go! You can't miss this... it's your favorite day of the year and $100 can go a long way as long as you're not after any big ticket items. I had some financial problems last year and literally went with $135 and I had more fun than I ever had! I couldn't buy any big ticket items so I didn't spend all my time in the lines and was able to run around and grab all the really cheap dvds, pjc, toys, free items... I had a blast!

my4boyz98
Black Friday Pro

Postby my4boyz98 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:23 am

I am also struggling to save.........though thankfully we still have our jobs and are able to pay the bills and stash back a few dollars here and there. Though some ideas to collect even a few dollars are:

A yard sale? If it is not to cold, grab up some of the old stuff around the house.

Ask friends and family if you can have their old pop cans...........just have them save them for you then pick them up each week. 2 months of saving cans can result in a little bit of extra cash depending on how many people you ask, and how much they drink.

If its hard to save cash, see if you can even take $5-$10 each check and buy a giftcard for the store you prefer to shop in. Even $10 can buy a few things on black Friday :)

Take a look at your monthly bills, is there anything you can shave off for a month or two? One year I dropped our full coverage to liability for 3 months, it saved me almost $50 a month......and since we were so broke we were driving a lot less, so the risk was minimal. If you have movie channels, you can save $5-$20 a month by canceling them for a few months. Also can save a bit by cutting down on how much electricity and water you use for the next two months by being uber careful. I dropped my electric bill by $20 a month by just making a new rule that no light could be turned on until full dark and turning down the heating setting on the electric hot water tank, I also dropped the electric heat down to 68 instead of 72 and saved money there as well. (Its just as easy to throw on warmer clothes, socks and a lap blanket.

You can cut down your food bill by buying generics or eating a less expensive meal twice a week. If you do 2 cheaper meals a week...........you can save a ton!!

If you drive, park the car and stay in, or walk everywhere you can if you can.

The ebay and cragislist idea is awesome too......you would be surprised what folks will buy!! If you have a little bit of money hit up the goodwill and look for stuff you can turn around and sale for a profit on ebay. My aunt is always picking up name brand clothes at goodwill then selling them on ebay for extra money. Same thing with plus size clothing.......you can make a bundle off it.

And don't let the money get you down......even $10 can buy 3 DVD's or 3 small appliance items at Walmart :)

Chipper112
Black Friday Pro

Postby Chipper112 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:06 am

I'm sorry about your situation, hopefully you're feeling better or starting to. Since the boyfriend and I are still students, we don't have the amounts of money to drop on BF that we wish so we started saving our change through the year. By the time BF rolls around we have at least $150. This year I'm going to roll it myself to save even more! Even if you cant buy something expensive just remember, theres always $3 quesadilla makers. :D

Return to “Rants and Raves”