Pumpkins

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: ikey2, hiker

SuperMomof3
Black Friday Pro

Pumpkins

Postby SuperMomof3 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:30 am

Have they always been this pricey! We usually grow our own, but garden was torn up by contractors. NO pumkins growing for us this year. Kroger's price last night was 4.99. That is crazy. right?

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Hmmm...I do think they seem pricey this year. We typically grow our own too, but didn't do a garden this year :(
Is there a pumpkin patch anywhere near you? Maybe you can take your kids there, and if the price is the same, then at least they can pick their own pumpkin from the patch and make a fun day of it :) I am hoping to do this with my kids, just depends on $$ and time, looks like the busy month ahead is going to get 10x busier.

tlpbupu
Black Friday Pro

Postby tlpbupu » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:49 pm

It may depend on where you are. I heard that because of Hurricane Irene that there is a big shortage of pumpkins on the east coast and that prices where going to be high.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:02 pm

They are grown in the NE of the Country and they were hit with lost of unusual rain this year, ruining a lot of the crops.
They will be more expensive this year.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Get the cheap imitations at Michaels - they last longer!...and you don't have to worry about squirrels taking bites out of them! :lol:

ikey2
Forum Moderator

Postby ikey2 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Or be like Martha Stewart and use other things like fall squashes.

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:17 pm

jediknight wrote:Get the cheap imitations at Michaels - they last longer!...and you don't have to worry about squirrels taking bites out of them! :lol:

You would think! We have some psycho squirrels here. Lol

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:51 pm

One year, we left our carved and lit pumpkin on the porch. Came out to blow out the candle....found a large rat coming out of it. ( we lived next to a wooded area) He had pooped in it. Gross.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:50 am

Pumpkins are definitely more pricey this year. I live in the Northeast (In PA) and we were hit very hard with catastrophic flooding. We've suffered major crop losses, not limited to just pumpkins, but also tomatoes, potatoes, corn, squash and other things. Our farmer's markets around here are nearly bare, with the exception of the few that grow in greenhouses or higher areas.

What size pumpkin was 4.99? If it was an average-sized jack-o-lantern type pumpkin, I'd be snatching that right up. Our jack-o-lantern pumpkins here are closer to $10, and there are barely any left. I feel terrible for all of these farmers that lost out on their income. The destruction around here is absolutely horrid. :(

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:21 am

In the Carolinas Walmart have a bunch of nice sized ones for like $4

bertaha
Black Friday Pro

Postby bertaha » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:25 am

I saw the Aldi ad last night in preparation for my grocery shopping trip this morning and they had them advertised for $2.49 each. If that's the case I'm snagging a couple!

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:15 pm

nippythedog wrote:One year, we left our carved and lit pumpkin on the porch. Came out to blow out the candle....found a large rat coming out of it. ( we lived next to a wooded area) He had pooped in it. Gross.

LOLOLOL - literally. That's funny!

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:01 pm

bertaha wrote:I saw the Aldi ad last night in preparation for my grocery shopping trip this morning and they had them advertised for $2.49 each. If that's the case I'm snagging a couple!
I was picking up a pumpkin at Wal-Mart the other day, and an employee came over and whispered in my ear, "pumpkins are $2.49 at Aldi...tell them to price match.."

And they did! :o
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

robert_cowper
Black Friday Pro

Re: Pumpkins

Postby robert_cowper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:31 pm

SuperMomof3 wrote:Have they always been this pricey!?

Damn you Hurricane Irene! :evil: A bunch of local garden places had to jack up prices since their crops flooded.

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Postby HoundAbound » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:31 pm

nippythedog wrote:One year, we left our carved and lit pumpkin on the porch. Came out to blow out the candle....found a large rat coming out of it. ( we lived next to a wooded area) He had pooped in it. Gross.

LOL...I'm getting punchy already, this story really cracked me up! :lol:
...now comes the realization that BF is coming...how to save...should i do what i did last year shopping...wow :roll:

Return to “Rants and Raves”