Best Buy rant 1st in line and NO LAPTOP VOUCHER!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Scott_CT
Black Friday Pro

Postby Scott_CT » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:44 pm

TheSingularity wrote:The $189 Toshiba was NOT dual core...I think the OP was confused, and pointing to the wrong item, which confused the BB employees over wtf the guy wanted. The $189 item was a V series processor.

Thank you. I was going to point this out after readign the first post in this thread.

the other thing I am trying to figure out is how the OP and what seems to be his entire family were camped out on Sunday for the 189 craptop when it was not even leaked until, I think, Tuesday.

I did have an issue in 2008 with being in the first 5 or 6 people in line anf getting skipped by employees with vouchers. they all came at once and if you had an employee in front of you handing you a voucher the next employee would skip down the line. That got stopped right quick and all the employees were stopped, taken back inside and sent out 1 at a time.

bobhag
Black Friday Newbie

Postby bobhag » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Our Best Buy did not have tickets for the 189 Toshiba laptop either. I was 1st in line had had to explain the people giving out the tickets that it was online only. They went inside and had to figure out what was going on. Eventually they came out with the tickets. I really don't think the employees, including managers, take this stuff as serious as we do. They were nice and all, but not as up to speed on their deals as we all are.

mike the man
Black Friday Amateur

Postby mike the man » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:33 am

I still don't understand what the hell the OP was trying to say LOL

TheCount
Black Friday Pro

Postby TheCount » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:48 am

My sister and I are convinced BB pulled a fast one on us with a $500 Nikon DSLR. We arrived at 5 a.m. and immediately approached the only associate with keys in the camera department to hand us the camera in a locked case. She left the camera with the cashier for that department, and we jumped in line. When cashing out, they had the correct camera that was given to us, but it was not the correct model. Turns out they were sold out of the minimum of six per store. Funny thing was no one was showing interest with the DSLRs, no one had possession of one, and the only associate with keys would have known they were sold out already.

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:50 am

TheCount wrote:My sister and I are convinced BB pulled a fast one on us with a $500 Nikon DSLR. We arrived at 5 a.m. and immediately approached the only associate with keys in the camera department to hand us the camera in a locked case. She left the camera with the cashier for that department, and we jumped in line. When cashing out, they had the correct camera that was given to us, but it was not the correct model. Turns out they were sold out of the minimum of six per store. Funny thing was no one was showing interest with the DSLRs, no one had possession of one, and the only associate with keys would have known they were sold out already.

Weren't there a thousand or so people in that Best Buy? Is it possible that out of the crowd there might have been six that bought it without you finding out? Not everything is a conspiracy...

imprint3454
Black Friday Newbie

Re: Best Buy rant 1st in line and NO LAPTOP VOUCHER!

Postby imprint3454 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:47 am

Russell Burrows wrote:So screw Best Buy from now on.

True that! Screw them from now on! Because of a mistake Best Buy made last week on their website, I had actually ordered and paid for the $189.99 Toshiba laptop, but they won't honor it. Afterwords, I wrote a letter, searched for every e-mail address in the Best Buy company including the CEO, and e-mailed it to all of them. No responses yet, nor do I expect any. While nothing will probably come of it, it did make me feel better to write and send out the letter.

Subject: Unhappy Best Buy Experience

To: Brian.Dunn@BestBuy.com

Dear Best Buy:

Not once, have I ever had a positive experience shopping at Best Buy. With what transpired over the past weekend, I have been put over the top.

After returning home on Friday afternoon, November 26th from a morning of shopping, which included a stop at the Waterloo, Iowa Best Buy store — which did not result in the purchase of the Toshiba-Satellite Laptop, AMD V-Series Processor, 15.6" Display, 3GB Memory, 320GB Hard Drive SKU: 1401694 offered at $189.99. I logged onto the Best Buy website to see what other laptops were available for purchase. As I scroll through the list of laptops, to my surprise, the Toshiba laptop at $189.99 appears in the list. It did say that it was available in-store only, but it would let me check the availability online for the laptop in-store. I enter my zip code and the page pops up saying the laptop is available at the Waterloo, Iowa store. It was then that the opportunity arose to add the laptop to my online cart. I am sitting there thinking, I am going to take this opportunity to purchase the laptop I need for when I return to school this spring!

I completed the checkout process just after 2:00 p.m. central time, had the order number of BBY01-368729****** issued to me, and am ready to head back to the Best Buy store to pickup my laptop. An hour and a half after completing the checkout process, I receive an e-mail telling me, “Please do not go to the store or warehouse yet…Status: Confirming store inventory at WATERLOO IA.” Another hour and a half later, I receive another e-mail with the subject line, “Item not found at the store.” Now in the time span of three hours, I have gone from being told the laptop is available in the store, to not sure if the laptop is available in the store, to the laptop is not available in the store.

In the e-mail received three hours after online checkout, it tells me, “If you still want this product, call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) to check product availability at a different store or warehouse, or to have the item shipped via free standard shipping. Please contact us within 8 days to choose one of these options.” I am thinking no problem; I will call and choose to have the laptop shipped to me for free.

I called the Best Buy phone number at 12:30 p.m. central time on Monday, November 29. The first thing I am told is that having a laptop shipped to my home for free is not an option. I’ve been lied to again. After going around and around for about 25 minutes, I am told there is nothing Best Buy can do for me other than to cancel the order. In the time span of 72 hours, I go from being told the laptop I would like to purchase is available to being told there is nothing that can be done for me.

If this letter falls on deaf ears/blind eyes, I will have no problem taking my business elsewhere. I already did once on Black Friday, when Staples had 8GB memory cards for $14.99 in favor of $19.99 at Best Buy. By the way, Staples in Waterloo, Iowa is right next door to Best Buy.

I would like my order reprocessed and honored or an equivalent laptop for $189.99.

Disgruntled but potential happy customer,

Adam

Delicious Cheese Danish
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Delicious Cheese Danish » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm

imprint3454 wrote:

True that! Screw them from now on! Because of a mistake Best Buy made last week on their website, I had actually ordered and paid for the $189.99 Toshiba laptop, but they won't honor it. Afterwords, I wrote a letter, searched for every e-mail address in the Best Buy company including the CEO, and e-mailed it to all of them. No responses yet, nor do I expect any. While nothing will probably come of it, it did make me feel better to write and send out the letter.

Dear Best Buy:

Not once, have I ever had a positive experience shopping at Best Buy. With what transpired over the past weekend, I have been put over the top.

After returning home on Friday afternoon, November 26th from a morning of shopping, which included a stop at the Waterloo, Iowa Best Buy store — which did not result in the purchase of the Toshiba-Satellite Laptop, AMD V-Series Processor, 15.6" Display, 3GB Memory, 320GB Hard Drive SKU: 1401694 offered at $189.99. I logged onto the Best Buy website to see what other laptops were available for purchase. As I scroll through the list of laptops, to my surprise, the Toshiba laptop at $189.99 appears in the list. It did say that it was available in-store only, but it would let me check the availability online for the laptop in-store. I enter my zip code and the page pops up saying the laptop is available at the Waterloo, Iowa store. It was then that the opportunity arose to add the laptop to my online cart. I am sitting there thinking, I am going to take this opportunity to purchase the laptop I need for when I return to school this spring!

I completed the checkout process just after 2:00 p.m. central time, had the order number of BBY01-368729****** issued to me, and am ready to head back to the Best Buy store to pickup my laptop. An hour and a half after completing the checkout process, I receive an e-mail telling me, “Please do not go to the store or warehouse yet…Status: Confirming store inventory at WATERLOO IA.” Another hour and a half later, I receive another e-mail with the subject line, “Item not found at the store.” Now in the time span of three hours, I have gone from being told the laptop is available in the store, to not sure if the laptop is available in the store, to the laptop is not available in the store.

In the e-mail received three hours after online checkout, it tells me, “If you still want this product, call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) to check product availability at a different store or warehouse, or to have the item shipped via free standard shipping. Please contact us within 8 days to choose one of these options.” I am thinking no problem; I will call and choose to have the laptop shipped to me for free.

I called the Best Buy phone number at 12:30 p.m. central time on Monday, November 29. The first thing I am told is that having a laptop shipped to my home for free is not an option. I’ve been lied to again. After going around and around for about 25 minutes, I am told there is nothing Best Buy can do for me other than to cancel the order. In the time span of 72 hours, I go from being told the laptop I would like to purchase is available to being told there is nothing that can be done for me.

If this letter falls on deaf ears/blind eyes, I will have no problem taking my business elsewhere. I already did once on Black Friday, when Staples had 8GB memory cards for $14.99 in favor of $19.99 at Best Buy. By the way, Staples in Waterloo, Iowa is right next door to Best Buy.

I would like my order reprocessed and honored or an equivalent laptop for $189.99.

Adam

That was not the way to go.

Try being more positive, and that you trust they will do the right thing to make you happy. Explain the ordeal of all you went through in hopes that you would be able to purchase the laptop. Why would they bother to keep a customer that does not like them?

Dear ________ (Put in the person's name, not best buy)

Over the Thanksgiving Holiday I was thrilled when I was able to purchase the $189.99 Toshiba Laptop online and had the ability to pick it up at the store. After walking around the house on Thansgiving with a big smile on my face I received another e-mail telling me the item was not in stock at my store, and was given an 800 number if I would still like to receive the laptop.

I thought no problem, the deal was too good to pass up, but as I was talking to the customer service rep over the phone, they informed me that the order would have to be cancelled. I did not argue with the person on the other line, as they are just doing their job and what they are told to do, and did not want to ruin that person's day and any subsequent phone calls they would receive from customers. I worked in the field before so I know how it goes sometimes.

I am writing this letter hoping that you, (insert name of recepient) can use your authority given to you in the company to honor the transaction I was told was complete, and that I will be able to tell people that Best Buy is a retailer that follows through and cares about its customers.

Sincerely,

Adam

PS I have the confirmation e-mails I have received and they are available to you upon request.

imprint3454
Black Friday Newbie

Postby imprint3454 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Delicious Cheese Danish wrote:
imprint3454 wrote:

Dear Best Buy:

Adam

That was not the way to go.

Try being more positive, and that you trust they will do the right thing to make you happy. Explain the ordeal of all you went through in hopes that you would be able to purchase the laptop. Why would they bother to keep a customer that does not like them?

Dear ________ (Put in the person's name, not best buy)

Over the Thanksgiving Holiday I was thrilled when I was able to purchase the $189.99 Toshiba Laptop online and had the ability to pick it up at the store. After walking around the house on Thansgiving with a big smile on my face I received another e-mail telling me the item was not in stock at my store, and was given an 800 number if I would still like to receive the laptop.

I thought no problem, the deal was too good to pass up, but as I was talking to the customer service rep over the phone, they informed me that the order would have to be cancelled. I did not argue with the person on the other line, as they are just doing their job and what they are told to do, and did not want to ruin that person's day and any subsequent phone calls they would receive from customers. I worked in the field before so I know how it goes sometimes.

I am writing this letter hoping that you, (insert name of recepient) can use your authority given to you in the company to honor the transaction I was told was complete, and that I will be able to tell people that Best Buy is a retailer that follows through and cares about its customers.

Sincerely,

Adam

PS I have the confirmation e-mails I have received and they are available to you upon request.

While I in no way disagree with your method, the letter I sent has yielded results. I received this e-mail this morning:

Mr. ****,

Thank you for contacting Brian Dunn and the Best Buy Corporate Offices. Brian received your email and has forwarded your information to me so that I would have the opportunity to assist you.

I apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused you. That laptop was meant to be sold in stores only and the online ordering system should not have allowed you to place the order but I confirmed of course that was the case. I can understand your disappointment and I would like to see what I can do to help.

The laptop you order is no longer available but I do have a similar item in stock and I have included a link to it below. While I cannot provide the original deal, if you do place an order for this laptop (shipped to home), once it has been delivered I can credit your order $200.00 which would bring the total (with estimated shipping and taxes) down to roughly $***.**.

***Link edited***

Please let me know what you think. I will be out of the office until Monday but I’ll be checking my email while I am away in case you respond. I do hope we can connect soon!

Sincerely,

Elizabeth
Executive Resolution Specialist

I then responded with this e-mail:

Elizabeth,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I could not take advantage of this opportunity you have given me quickly enough . I completed the order for the laptop right away and was given order number: BBY01-368729******.

I can not thank Brian, you, and the rest of the Best Buy Corporation enough for working with me so quickly to get this resolved. Best Buy went from one of my least favorite retailers to one of my top favorite retailers!

Thank you!

Adam

Best Buy is now the best!

tlpbupu
Black Friday Pro

Postby tlpbupu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:35 pm

imprint - I had the same thing with Best Buy happen over a video game this year. They temp. adjusted the price to match Amazon and since I had a BB gift card ordered from them. I got the same e-mail you did and when I called was given the same response. Customer Service couldn't give me any info on how the website determines it's inventory or why it tells you and item is available when it is not. Then to be told that they can't ship me a Wii game??? What is that about? Esp. since once Amazon's sale was over the item was then available for shipping online.

dervismayne42
Black Friday Amateur

Postby dervismayne42 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:49 am

Seems pretty obvious to me in many of these scenarios that the Best Buy employees are attempting to save some of these items for themselves.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:55 pm

to me it seems like alot of online stores was doing this for BF not just BB. You order something and it gets cancelled because the item is not in stock and the actual store has no way of controlling whats done online.

fsereno
Black Friday Amateur

Postby fsereno » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:19 am

I think part of the problem is that the inventory is not kept in real time. They may update their inventory every half hour or so. Or while you are entering your order online, someone is standing in line at the brick and mortar store with the same item to purchase. It can't be taken out of inventory at least until it is paid for at the register. And Black Friday at Best Buy can mean waiting a half hour or more to check out. And they aren't going to update the inventory on an item that somebody might be holding in line because plenty of people get tired of waiting and leave stuff sitting in the store. And heaven forbid somebody actually manages to bypass security and shoplift it.

tifftiff2
Black Friday Amateur

Postby tifftiff2 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:06 am

fsereno wrote:I think part of the problem is that the inventory is not kept in real time. They may update their inventory every half hour or so. Or while you are entering your order online, someone is standing in line at the brick and mortar store with the same item to purchase. It can't be taken out of inventory at least until it is paid for at the register. And Black Friday at Best Buy can mean waiting a half hour or more to check out. And they aren't going to update the inventory on an item that somebody might be holding in line because plenty of people get tired of waiting and leave stuff sitting in the store. And heaven forbid somebody actually manages to bypass security and shoplift it.

This. Actually, on super busy days (like BF), it's lucky if the system updates every 3-4 hours. This happens on a regular basis on normal Tuesdays in the middle of April. The system just doesn't update fast enough. It's not the company trying to be shady, it's the joy of a bogged-down network of a giant corporation. At least they did what they could to make the issue right.

And, I can assure you, if any BB employee were found to be hiding BF product for themselves, they and all their managers would be long gone. I've seen district managers fired for less. It is, however, extremely likely that you ask the location of one of thousands of products in a large store from an employee who was hired on barely weeks prior and barely knows where the bathroom is let alone tell you where a product is located in the store.

BFVet
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFVet » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:46 pm

How's the planning going Russel? Heading out to BestBuy Wednesday afternoon?

ohhwell
Black Friday Amateur

Postby ohhwell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:12 am

I'm sure he is already out there waiting for some other store's doorbuster.

Return to “Rants and Raves”