Best Buy rant 1st in line and NO LAPTOP VOUCHER!

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:53 pm

affini wrote:So did they end up giving you one of the $189 laptops or did they not have them at all?

Yeah they at last sold the the items to my Son and my Mother as my Wife and I looked on.

Oh and they also wanted to try some funny stuff with the 149 dollar netbooks but my wife just looked at the BB Manager then pointed at a swarm of news crews and said to the BB guy just try it and see what happens!!

badchedda
Black Friday Pro

Postby badchedda » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:13 pm

I might be reading into things, but in this case, it really seems to me that the OP has an "always the victim" mentality.

Sounds to me like his Best Buy didn't do vouchers for the $189 Toshiba. So when he went inside, he asked where they were. The Best Buy employee he asked didn't initially know the specific location of that item. Rather than thinking that the Best Buy employee might be telling him the truth, he assumed that somebody was trying to "screw him". When the item in question was located, he assumed it was only because of his threats of media exposure that produced the item, rather than that someone finally asked the manager and he knew where the item was.

I suppose anything is possible at any specific Best Buy, but I have always found them to operate flawlessly on Black Friday. I'm surprised that a $189.00 laptop wouldn't be a ticketed item. I've also never seen "swarms" of media inside a Best Buy - particularly as the doors are open when they'd likely just get in the way of eager shoppers. The most I've ever seen is one crew with a reporter and a camera man. When the doors open, their "money shot" is the stream of people walking into the store (typically filled with screams, peace signs, fingers and the occasional "hi mom").

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Re: Best Buy rant 1st in line and NO LAPTOP VOUCHER!

Postby krazymop » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Russell Burrows wrote:In 2009 was 1st inline and Best Buy peeps distributed the laptop vouchers and told me nope, sorry, out!
Then I went and got the Best Buy Manager and I said hey I am 1st in line here and I get told laptop vouchers are all out? so how exactly does that work since 1st line and MINIMUM 10 at each store means that either I get my laptop or I turn to the waiting news crews and accuse Best Buy of seedy, shady and bad business practices.!

2010 my Son is 1st in line at Best Buy and same story as 2010 with NO LAPTOP VOUCHERS for 1st in line so we again had to threaten to get what was rightfuylly my Sons since He was 1st in line.

So screw Best Buy from now on.

So let me get this straight. You go to Best Buy in 2009 and they screw you over by not handing out laptop vouchers. So this year you decide it would be a great idea if you went to the same Best Buy again to buy a laptop? What I don't get is why you are shocked about how they handled this. Also, what Best Buy was it?

klmmlk
Black Friday Newbie

Postby klmmlk » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:50 pm

The OP is not making things up...The $189 Toshiba was 1 of 2 "secret" items that were listed online. Min. 3 per store and you needed a ticket. Just as they had the wii bundles with a 32inch samsung tv for $399. You needed tickets for these items.
Best Buy is shady...
We were FIRST in line out here. We got our tickets, they said come back and buy before 9am. We went over to target then came back. When we went to make our purchase they "ran out" of the Toshiba's for $189. They only had one left. Yet, we had 3 tickets??? So anyways, they sold us 3 of the $350 Toshibas for the $189 price.

Two years ago we were second in line. And they had $200 HPs. They handed out the tickets for those. Went to buy those and they claimed they couldnt find them and they were giving everyone a "comparable" laptop...some Compaq. We let them know we stood in line for an HP and were not leaving without an HP. We began to ask for Corporate's info...They ended up selling us a more expensive model for the lower price.

Delicious Cheese Danish
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Delicious Cheese Danish » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:41 pm

klmmlk wrote:The OP is not making things up...The $189 Toshiba was 1 of 2 "secret" items that were listed online. Min. 3 per store and you needed a ticket. Just as they had the wii bundles with a 32inch samsung tv for $399. You needed tickets for these items.
Best Buy is shady...
We were FIRST in line out here. We got our tickets, they said come back and buy before 9am. We went over to target then came back. When we went to make our purchase they "ran out" of the Toshiba's for $189. They only had one left. Yet, we had 3 tickets??? So anyways, they sold us 3 of the $350 Toshibas for the $189 price.

Two years ago we were second in line. And they had $200 HPs. They handed out the tickets for those. Went to buy those and they claimed they couldnt find them and they were giving everyone a "comparable" laptop...some Compaq. We let them know we stood in line for an HP and were not leaving without an HP. We began to ask for Corporate's info...They ended up selling us a more expensive model for the lower price.

Not sure how that means they were being shady. They gave you more for the same price.

badchedda
Black Friday Pro

Postby badchedda » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:47 pm

klmmlk wrote:The OP is not making things up...The $189 Toshiba was 1 of 2 "secret" items that were listed online. Min. 3 per store and you needed a ticket. Just as they had the wii bundles with a 32inch samsung tv for $399. You needed tickets for these items.
Best Buy is shady...

These stories I can believe. I think there are probably frequent instances where someone screws up and either (a) issues too many tickets or (b) sells a ticketed item without a ticket. Sounds like in both cases, your Best Buy went above the call of duty and made things right.

On the other side of a similar story, I was at Office Depot 2 years ago and did NOT get a ticket for a Desktop package. Apparently there was miscommunication amongst the store's employees, because when I went in, it seemed that the guy at the computer counter was handing things out without tickets. I asked for the desktop package, without any ticket, and he handed it to me. I checked out and left with it. Sucks for the person with the ticket, but I go mine.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Re: Best Buy rant 1st in line and NO LAPTOP VOUCHER!

Postby Russell Burrows » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:48 pm

krazymop wrote:
Russell Burrows wrote:In 2009 was 1st inline and Best Buy peeps distributed the laptop vouchers and told me nope, sorry, out!
Then I went and got the Best Buy Manager and I said hey I am 1st in line here and I get told laptop vouchers are all out? so how exactly does that work since 1st line and MINIMUM 10 at each store means that either I get my laptop or I turn to the waiting news crews and accuse Best Buy of seedy, shady and bad business practices.!

2010 my Son is 1st in line at Best Buy and same story as 2010 with NO LAPTOP VOUCHERS for 1st in line so we again had to threaten to get what was rightfuylly my Sons since He was 1st in line.

So screw Best Buy from now on.

So let me get this straight. You go to Best Buy in 2009 and they screw you over by not handing out laptop vouchers. So this year you decide it would be a great idea if you went to the same Best Buy again to buy a laptop? What I don't get is why you are shocked about how they handled this. Also, what Best Buy was it?

In 2009 I asked BB Corporate to please fix.
In 2010 with a NEW BB Manager I expected things to be fixed.

Brownsville, Texas.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:54 pm

badchedda wrote:I might be reading into things, but in this case, it really seems to me that the OP has an "always the victim" mentality.

Sounds to me like his Best Buy didn't do vouchers for the $189 Toshiba. So when he went inside, he asked where they were. The Best Buy employee he asked didn't initially know the specific location of that item. Rather than thinking that the Best Buy employee might be telling him the truth, he assumed that somebody was trying to "screw him". When the item in question was located, he assumed it was only because of his threats of media exposure that produced the item, rather than that someone finally asked the manager and he knew where the item was.

I suppose anything is possible at any specific Best Buy, but I have always found them to operate flawlessly on Black Friday. I'm surprised that a $189.00 laptop wouldn't be a ticketed item. I've also never seen "swarms" of media inside a Best Buy - particularly as the doors are open when they'd likely just get in the way of eager shoppers. The most I've ever seen is one crew with a reporter and a camera man. When the doors open, their "money shot" is the stream of people walking into the store (typically filled with screams, peace signs, fingers and the occasional "hi mom").

Yep those Toshiba laptops were under several 60 inch plasma screens and the BB Manager "found" them intact :roll:

Yep once everyone is INSIDE ! the BB store the news crews find it very news worthy to stay OUTSIDE! and film the interesting sidewalk or perhaps film the grass growing for news at eleven? :roll: :lol:

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:58 pm

Best buy pulled that crap with me many years ago. Haven't gone back since. Buyer beware is all I can say.

pspetrini
Black Friday Pro

Postby pspetrini » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:36 am

Judging from the way you told this story, I'm 75% certain you were at Target.

badchedda
Black Friday Pro

Postby badchedda » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:44 pm

For some reason, I love this thread. The lulz are strong in this one.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:50 pm

yeah but this guy went back this year after being screwed in 2009 and threatened to not shop there again.
Some dogs don't learn when you hit them on the nose with the newspaper.

Odds are this guy will be in line again for 2011 - hope he comes back here and bitches again so we can enjoy it...

jayquik03
Black Friday Pro

Postby jayquik03 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:39 pm

XmasDVD wrote:yeah but this guy went back this year after being screwed in 2009 and threatened to not shop there again.
Some dogs don't learn when you hit them on the nose with the newspaper.

Odds are this guy will be in line again for 2011 - hope he comes back here and bitches again so we can enjoy it...

QFT

TheSingularity
Black Friday Pro

Postby TheSingularity » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:00 pm

The $189 Toshiba was NOT dual core...I think the OP was confused, and pointing to the wrong item, which confused the BB employees over wtf the guy wanted. The $189 item was a V series processor.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:15 pm

We ran into similar problems with our BB last year with ticketed items (which we had tickets for) mysteriously disappearing then reappearing after threats to report to corporate. Last year, we were pretty close to the front... guesstimate 15th, but 5th really since there were groups of 5 and 6 in front of us.... got a ticket for the cheapy emachines desktop bundle and the X360 bundle. We were told by management that we could leave line and come back before 9am when the items would go on the floor. Went back in well before the 9am cutoff time and was told they handed out more tickets than they had product for on the xbox bundle. When I started to complain and threaten, the employee got the manager, who said they handed out LESS tickets than they had items for, but they were still out. I stood there scratching my head, threatened again, and the manager and employee then went off to the side to have a private little pow-wow about the situation. Then they walked to the back, and came out 10 minutes later with a bundle that just mysteriously appeared out of nowhere apparently. The manager then told me that I was lucky that they found it and it was the last one. To which I told him he was the lucky one that I didn't have to report his shady business practices to the corporate office. He threw in an extra wireless controller for my trouble after my little rant.

I won't even step foot in our BB now, not after being treated like a moron. I don't understand why the OP went 2 years in a row after being treated poorly the first year. Personally, I would have just paid the extra $100 and sat at a line inside a nice warm WM for the HP dual core instead... but that's just me. ;)

Return to “Rants and Raves”