Where do I hide all this stuff?!?!?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

HoundAbound
Black Friday Pro

Where do I hide all this stuff?!?!?

Postby HoundAbound » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Yeah, part II of BF shopping...lots of big boxes, dozens of little things and a house full of extremely intelligent and nosy boys :roll: How to keep the rugrats outta the goodies :wink: ..especially in a world of socially networked kids that can share tips and ideas with each other on the blink of an eye...it's gettin' hard for the old fashioned folk like me :oops:

doobie
Black Friday Pro

Postby doobie » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:23 pm

put it all in big boxes. Tape them shut with strands of your hair. If they open them you will know.

coloradoshopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby coloradoshopper » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Lol. We have the same problem. Right now it's in the attic, but we have a teenage explorer so we're contemplating a different location. We recently moved so we're thinking we'll switch out a few of the boxes full of stuff we've packed and put the xmas stuff in them. :lol: Good luck and let me know if you find a good spot!

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 pm

doobie wrote:put it all in big boxes. Tape them shut with strands of your hair. If they open them you will know.

The old hair trick! Awesome.

Use tape that will not come away unscathed...duct tape works great because once you've adhered it to cardboard, it's pretty much useless to secure anything again.

Poor_Guy
Black Friday Pro

Postby Poor_Guy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 pm

Personally you can only hide them. When I started getting older I use to unwrapped a tad just to see what the box/item was. Then I learned and got smarter with check and make sure the tape lines up when unwrapping to wrapping. So parents never found out. Heck there was times I was bored and unwrapped one seen it was a video game...I just re wrapped the game case back in.. Later towards xmas I put the game back in and waited till xmas.. now my parents didn't know I nearly beated the game by the time xmas was even suppose to be opened. But right now I hide things in boxes of junk I got and move the junk else where.. so people think its just my regular junk. Or put it in suitcase you may have where they know its just a suitcase in your closet. Or like me I got tile I can move above me.. ceiling tile so I move that to the side and put gifts up there.. Till close to xmas.

ptldrabbit
Black Friday Pro

Postby ptldrabbit » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:42 pm

We were lucky with our two boys early on. Before Easter one year, the oldest one with the youngest as an accomplice found a hidden gift (a dvd). They both felt so guilty about it that neither ever looked for gifts again! They are in their 20's now and still talk about trying to act surprised that morning. :lol:
Life is uncertain . . . . . eat dessert first and then go shopping!

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:04 pm

I stash all our presents in the garage in my 6' x 4'x 3' oven I have for my business. The kids never look in there :)

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:35 pm

I have 3 nosey kids, and no closet space. So I wrap everything from BF and put it under the tree. I warn them, anything gets opened, or they mess with them,
1. I'll take the item back to the store and not get a replacement
2. Santa won't come with a surprise gift if they get too nosey!

Seems to work ;) Of course I am not that way with my youngest, she just turned 4, but my oldest two definitely know better <9 & 12>.

You could go to a grocery store when they are doing their nightstocking and get the big cereal boxes like from Kellogg's, and use the idea everyone gave above :) Oh, and I would wrap the gifts before putting them in the box, just in case!

sandy61
Black Friday Newbie

Postby sandy61 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:46 pm

I also warn my boys that if they find their gift I will take it back to the store. My youngest is 12. My sister hides the gifts in the trunk of her car and keeps the car locked. We have put gifts in the rafters of the garage if the gift won't be hurt by below freezing temp.

badchedda
Black Friday Pro

Postby badchedda » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:13 pm

The only truly safe place I've found is in my office at work. Otherwise I do the same as others and tell my 7 year old that if she finds a gift and I find out, I'll take it back to the store. I keep everything locked up in a spare bathroom. She knows where they are, but knows not to open that door.

thejoseph5
Black Friday Pro

Postby thejoseph5 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:54 pm

I hide it inside large coolers in the garage. I also have a couple of storage totes that have various sporting goods equipment and I sometimes move that stuff out and put the new stuff in. I've even put stuff up in their own closets, in the storage totes that are labeled summer clothes or beach towels or something else equally boring. For big stuff, sometimes I ask a neighbor to help me keep it for a while. If all else fails, use those really big lawn and leaf bags and just put it in an out of the way place. For some reason, the black color causes it to blend in and they don't really go for it. Good luck!

MHjhawk
Black Friday Pro

Postby MHjhawk » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:24 pm

Store at a friend/relative/neighbors house. You could even trade out and hold their stuff. It'd be pretty funny when your boys snoop and think they are getting Barbies!!

krazymop
Black Friday Pro

Postby krazymop » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:28 pm

Buy a large rubbermaid storage closet and put it in the garage. Next exploit their most terrifying fear. Tell them that's where you keep your collection of spiders/bees/justin beiber cd's and they will never go near it.

caravaggio
Black Friday Pro

Postby caravaggio » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:56 am

sandy61 wrote:My sister hides the gifts in the trunk of her car and keeps the car locked.

My parents used to do that, worked for a few years. Then we figured out stuff was in the trunk...

I have a bed that has drawers underneath and pushed against a wall so I have a big blank space (well it would be if I didn't store boxes for moving) that requires lifting the bed and removing all the blankets/pillows to reach. This would be an excellent place to hide gifts since it'd be IMPOSSIBLE to lift that thing up AND reach the gifts AND put the pillows back to make it look as if nobody got under there.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:06 am

For about $30, you could probably rent a unit at a self-storage place for a month. You could share the space and the cost with friends and neighbors.

Return to “Rants and Raves”