Black Friday Online instead of Long Lines

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

nerin25
Black Friday Pro

Black Friday Online instead of Long Lines

Postby nerin25 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:50 pm

Is it really worth standing in lines and shopping in crowds all morning to save a few dollars? Online shopping just seems so much easier and worth the extra few bucks.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:54 pm

...must not say kitten... must not say kitten...

Usually stores run out of the items online and you get an email a few days later telling you this. Not to mention many sites bog down from the traffic and run ultra slow. Not to mention you don't get the same rush as being in the crowd. Plus, usually the deals in the stores are much better than online.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:55 pm

Last year many people bought things online for Black Friday after waiting at their computer forever on the sites. Only to get an email a few days later stating the item had oversold and they were out of luck. They lost out on that deal.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:33 pm

Waiting in line makes sure you are getting your items. So if you are willing to take a risk, stay home. But if there is a big ticket item you have to have, it is probably best to get in line early.
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

nerin25
Black Friday Pro

Postby nerin25 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:08 pm

It is true I guess, you get the thrill of all the panic to find the perfect gift at good prices and yes sites are slower and they do run out. I just always found that if I don't get one thing, something else will do just as well.

DramaticAnnie
Black Friday Pro

Postby DramaticAnnie » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:24 pm

Plus when you live in Canada most places don't ship to the US anyway so online shopping doesnt work :oops:

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:32 am

Here are a few funny reasons I thought of...
It is good exercise. Work that pumpkin pie off.
Enjoy the weather or the start of the holiday season instead of the same old house you’re going to be in all winter. (This does not apply to umm Florida/Hawaii)
The crazies (which I am one of) out on BF make the fight your family had on Thanksgiving look tame. AKA great entertainment
Your butt will be severely asleep by the time you even get the Target webpage to load on BF.
Your family/friends may have to go on a reconnaissance mission to attain your location....for example cussing your laptop in the bathroom.

These are few...anyone else have any?

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:08 am

I know that every time I tried to order something online over the last 3 years it has not worked unless it was Amazon.com. The servers either crash or I get the infamous out of stock email. Now this has only applied during BF. Last year someone messed up at Staples.com and had the BF prices loaded on the web site 4 days early :) Snag, Order pay and shipped, and on the next day the item was un-available until BF.

Wildcats_rulz34
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Wildcats_rulz34 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:49 am

I have ordered from Best Buy on Thanksgiving day and it was sucessful. I ordered the XBox 360 and it arrived with no problems. I was thrilled because Best Buy is a store I hate to go to on BF.

JackBquick
Black Friday Newbie

Go to the actual store on BF? Me? NEVER!!!

Postby JackBquick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:31 am

No way would you find me waiting in line at some crazy hour to get a deal. Between the crowds, newly -trained clueless cashiers & salespersons, additional money spent for gas, tolls. parking, or bus & subway fare, breakfast or lunch out, the impulse buys and dragging heavy pkgs. around. Having to carry your coat because the stores are so damn hot, crying kids, the shoppers ahead of you who picks up items witout a tag/SKU or the wrong items, searching their handbags for the needed coupons, declined credit cards, shoplifters. pickpockets- WHO NEEDS IT??????

For me - online is the way to go!!! See a fabulous deal that you must have at a high traffic site- see if another retailer will price match and order it there. While it may not be best for certain apparel & bedding; it is a great way to go for electronics, toys, and appliances big & small.

My time is too valuable to be wasted fighting crowds and traffic.

nerin25
Black Friday Pro

Postby nerin25 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 am

That is how I feel too, not worth the time or aggravation. I order off Amazon, Ebay and Best Buy for most things. Works fine for me with little problems. But everyone is different, I understand both sides of the story

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:39 am

PokeMeg wrote:Waiting in line makes sure you are getting your items. So if you are willing to take a risk, stay home. But if there is a big ticket item you have to have, it is probably best to get in line early.

you don't always get what you want by waiting in line.

I do both. I have always gotten everything I ordered online.

I haven't really bought any big ticket item. The biggest purchase I made was a netbook and a home theatre system, which I went to the store to get. I think if I were getting a huge tv, I'd go really early and just wait
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:07 pm

I was just trying to make light and I sense some defensiveness. I tip my hat to those that order online however I love shopping so I am out in it. Not real early though I like my sleep.

jelezoglo
Black Friday Pro

Stupid question !

Postby jelezoglo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:10 am

Is there any way to do a price match online???
I think it maybe impossible.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: Stupid question !

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:30 pm

jelezoglo wrote:Is there any way to do a price match online???
I think it maybe impossible.

i've heard that sometimes if a online store has a 'live chat' you can chat to the rep and try to get them to price match another site's price. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Return to “Rants and Raves”