Black Friday Traditions

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: hiker, ikey2

HauteChocolot
Black Friday Newbie

Black Friday Traditions

Postby HauteChocolot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Black Friday Traditions
For the first time in my life I actually experienced BF in another state and loved it - sort of. I actually spent Thanksgiving in ATL and was a little nervous about what I would do for BF. Please understand that our BF experience is quite an affair - almost a holiday within itself! It consists of us (my sister & I) having a conference call Thanksgving night with all that are going and going over the ads to plot out our strategy (looking at opening times, the must have items, etc.). Then we do the "wake up call" at about 2am and everyone meets at my house by 3am. Then we stop for coffee and then we are off! We always start at Wally's world, I don't think things would be right if we didn't! We always start with the usual subjects (Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, then maybe Khol's) then we hit the mall by about 8am. We are usually eating a late breakfast by 11am and then back at home by 12:30pm for a nap. We usually plan to come back to the mall in the evening when things have sort of died down.

However, 2009 I was in ATL and went to a 24 hour Wal-Mart. I was amazed how eerily calm the store was :o - no pushing, fighting, police....etc. We actually were able to walk into the stores and pick up items before the official start of the sale. We even were checked out before the sale began and I was out of the store onto K-Mart before it even opened! I loved it. However, if I am back in NYS next month I will be missing the calm of ATL. The downside is not knowing where all my favorite stores were so I was unable to hit all of my favorites. Also, I had to restrain myself because I only had so much room in my car for the ride back to NY.

Wherever I am for Black Friday 2010 I am ready! :D

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:10 pm

Wow! I love that story! - things are certainly different all over the country.

I used to have a tradition...and I stress used since people started camping out overnight.

I would get all the papers Thanksgiving day in the morning and put the sales papers off to the corner. - After coming home from Thanksgiving dinner, which did not last too long (home by 8/9 pm), I will meticulously check all the ads!

Which store had the best deals, which store could I price match (used to love doing that when almost every store used to do it!) and plan my morning.

Then I would go to sleep, wake up at 5/5:30am...put on a Christmas movie while I was getting ready...and then jet out to my first location and on to the next!

Be done by about 9:30/10am...stop and get a bite and some hot chocolate and then come back home for some shut-eye until I went out later as well.

All very fun! - However, with internet technology like BFads.net and more people camping out since the emergence of Halo 2 and the Xbox 360, I have had to push up my plans...but still have a ton of crazy fun...!

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:00 pm

Now I am starting to worry! My tradition has always been shopping with my mom & daughter. This year we are going to be on vacation, so instead of cold MN, I will be in Savannah, GA. I am worried about not getting what I want or more people out because the weather is warm there, ect....

ptldrabbit
Black Friday Pro

Postby ptldrabbit » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:07 pm

packers wrote:Now I am starting to worry! My tradition has always been shopping with my mom & daughter. This year we are going to be on vacation, so instead of cold MN, I will be in Savannah, GA. I am worried about not getting what I want or more people out because the weather is warm there, ect....

I would be more worried about getting all my stuff back home . . . . . hopefully your driving not flying :D
Life is uncertain . . . . . eat dessert first and then go shopping!

my4boyz98
Black Friday Pro

Postby my4boyz98 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 am

My tradition has been the same for years (Though its getting earlier and earlier every year which I HATE!!)

Thanksgiving morning my husband and older 2 sons go hunting, (My husband picks up 2 newspapers prior to leaving) I get up at around 7am and get started on Thanksgiving dinner. My two youngest help, we have dinner around 2pm, then I pour over my ads. I split the ads up by stores I normaly like, then go though them one by one circling in red ink the items "I might buy" Or "Am debating" I then add up all the items, removing or adding according to my budget. Once I have a final list I use a big black marker to circle the items I will be price matching. And then make a list of the items I am getting at each store. I put my ads in order for price matching then I sit down with the family and watch TV until around 8pm.

I get up around 2-3am and off we go.............

After shopping, we go back and pick up the kids at my mother in laws where we take them out to breakfast and then we head out to Walmart or the mall and let the kids do some light shopping....they like the hustle and all the people. Then we go home and decorate the house for the holidays. I try to get a nap in, but with all the excitment more often then not I am up until that night.

It is exhausting, but well well worth it!

HauteChocolot
Black Friday Newbie

Postby HauteChocolot » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:01 am

I agree with ptldrabbit hopefully you are driving instead of flying. Although I took things home - the other issue was hiding it from the kids (they still believed in Santa because they are young!). Actually, last year was when I got busted and had to tell the oldest the truth because she found somethings in my suitcase. :) But Packers you just might like shopping in the south better like I did. No layers of clothing! After the frost wore off in the wee hours of the morning the weather was GORGEOUS!!! :D Needless to say I think ATL may have spoiled this girl.......it may have been the calmest BF yet. However, I think we live for the excitement and the hustle & bustle of the day.......but in the South it wasn't like that so I had to change my NY State of Mind!!!! :lol:

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:22 am

packers wrote:Now I am starting to worry! My tradition has always been shopping with my mom & daughter. This year we are going to be on vacation, so instead of cold MN, I will be in Savannah, GA. I am worried about not getting what I want or more people out because the weather is warm there, ect....

Be careful in Savannah. Savannah has the highest crime rate in Georgia. I wouldn't keep anything valuable in your vehicle. Last year someone broke in our car right on Bay Street in the middle of everything and stole over $5,000 worth of things out of our car. Nothing was visible, everything was in the trunk!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:07 pm

My tradition five years running looks like it is shot dead in the water and I am super disappointed. Yes, its silly to some people its really the only day I go and not worry about being gone all day away from my kids.

My husband's family is having Thanksgiving in Indiana near Cincy and Florence rather than Richmond, Ky where it is usually. It looks like my husband will be shopping with me and unless I can finesse a plan that I can get to Richmond Turkey Day night. Its up in the air right now and it is usually set in stone :( Makes looking at bfads right now kind of sad for me.

PS I would not shop in my hometown on BF if you paid me. Ther is no TRU or Old Navy plus its the only Target in six counties. It doesn't slow down its busy allll day.

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 pm

Good to know everyone! I am driving. Just my husband and I in our mini-van. So lots of room. When I shop, my husband won't go in the store with me anyway, he will wait outside, so nobody will be breaking in the van - good news I guess. We are going to hit the stores and then leave Savannah for home that day, so it won't sit around long. There is a ton of room in my van, so I could buy a lot of stuff and cart it home with me.

My daughter is planning on going with her friends, so she said to give her a list and money and she will try to get what I want. She is a BF pro, skinny and small, so she darts well in and around people and their big carts! :wink:

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:45 pm

My husband just pointed out that we will be going through Atlanta on our way home from Savannah on BF. Hmmmmmmm. Perhaps some shopping there too! :)

My guess is that I won't have as much fun since my daughter and mother won't be with me.

dsbarden
Black Friday Newbie

Postby dsbarden » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:30 pm

My BF tradition is this...after weeks of thoroughly checking ads courtesy of BFads and creating a list, I cook a Thanksgiving dinner while my husband goes out and does the shopping. We've been doing this for the past several years and it suits me just fine. I like finding the deals online, but I hate the crowds. Also, we sometimes get a lot of snow (not so much in late November, but it happens)--I'm a big wimp when it comes to driving in snow and ice. My husband drives like a maniac but I trust him completely in this type of weather driving. I cook, I put up the Christmas decorations, and I let my husband fight the crowds. It's a win-win situation!

jovilover
Black Friday Pro

Postby jovilover » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:09 pm

My husband and I have been bf shopping for years but only on and off till about 5 years ago.....since then we have gone every year. I love it and he doesn't but he is a good sport cuz of me.
I love coming here and checking out all the ads and plotting out where to go and what is most importance to start with.
I am thinking about going with a friend from work this year and letting hubby sit out though if he wants.....I might just go it alone too....not to sure :0)

ooops944
Black Friday Pro

Postby ooops944 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:19 am

I review the ads for several weeks (almost memorizing them) because I have OCD. Then on Thanksgiving morning, I scout out the walmart and compare it to the map provided and buy my newspapers. I then go to K-Mart for their Thanksgiving sale. After K-Mart, I take one of the newspapers to my friends house and leave it on the doorstep with a can of redbull for when she wakes up. Then I take my ad home and organize and circle all of the price matches with a sharpie. I prepare the item I am taking to my sister-in-law's for dinner andn head out. After dinner my husband, 17 year old neice and I go home and we go to bed. At about 3:00 my neice and I get up, give the friend and her mom a wake up reminder and wait 10 minutes until they arrive, then we shop. My husband then goes out around 7 with his sister and does his shopping. This has been the plan the last couple of years. Sometimes it varies. The real tradition is that one day a year, I share an experience I love with people I love (at least the ones who aren't slow).

luckycharms38
Black Friday Pro

Postby luckycharms38 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:12 pm

When I lived in Florida my 4 sisters and I use to plan out our route of stores. We would meet at my house (central location) at 1am, stop for coffee along the way then hit our first store for the big items (4 of us had kids within a 6 month span) Each would be given a section to hit and one would push/man the cart. We would stop at lunch to eat and go back out till dinner. Each week we would pick one day that we would meet at one of our houses to wrap presents, bake cookies or write x-mas cards. Now that I'm in Michigan we usually plan our stores around the same time. We call each other when we get there, call if we see something one of use could use, call when we are leaving and then call that night to recap. My family goes home for x-mas so my sisters and I leave wrapping presents till then and spend a day/night wrapping and catching up.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:48 pm

My tradition is about the same every year. I scour the ads for weeks and plan out my strategy, usually finalizing it on Thanksgiving day well before leaving to stand in line wherever I'm going. I get up at 6am Thanksgiving morning, get my turkey prepped and stick it in the oven. After it's been cooking for a half hour, I head over to KMart and other stores open for Thanksgiving sales. I do my shopping, then come home. Bags always stay in the vehicle if my boys are up, but come in if they're not awake yet and whisked quickly into the attic. Then, I get the rest of my things for dinner prepped and ready, then finish them along with the turkey while our family arrives. We usually eat between 12pm and 1pm. Then, thankfully, my boys and my relatives clean up dinner and do dishes etc. I usually catnap on the couch while they're doing this. Then I spend an hour or so of quality time with the fam before excusing myself to my room to sleep for my shopping trip. I get up between 8pm and 9pm, sometimes earlier, scout out BB if I need to go there so I can see how long the line is already (which is usually one or two hardcore ppl long... thank God for living in the sticks!), and then get in touch with my shopping buddies. We all meet at my place around 10pm, drink some hot chocolate while looking over the ads one last time, then split into our groups, if we're splitting up that year. Then we take the ads we need and go to our designated stores and the madness begins!

Mine is so boring compared to some of these I've read, but I thought I'd share anyways! ;)

Return to “Rants and Raves”