Am I the ONLY person who hates stores opening even earlier??

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: ikey2, hiker

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:15 pm

Yeah -- K-Mart has been open on TG for at least 5 years now, probably longer.

I think it sucks for the folks who work Retail, especially since I know that Sears and K-Mart require ALL employees to work on BF.

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:40 am

Yea, getting to be to much.

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:15 am

I agree! I remember back to Black Friday 2001....We got into line at BB at about 3am and were only 15th in line! Now, I'd have to camp out for days. Geez. Last year, We spent the whole night in an isle at Walmart! Before long ,it'll be called Black Thursday!

tlpbupu
Black Friday Pro

Postby tlpbupu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:16 am

I agree too. I live in a small town and my sister and I have to drive an hour away to get to any major stores (TRU, Old Navy, Sear etc. ) Last year we really debated about the TRU midnight opening, but there was nothing that we HAD to have and opted for two hours of sleep before we had to leave at 10:30 Thanksgiving night. We use to be able to get a little sleep and be in line at TRU at 2:00 and still be one of the first 15 or so in line.

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:16 pm

nippythedog wrote:I agree! I remember back to Black Friday 2001....We got into line at BB at about 3am and were only 15th in line! Now, I'd have to camp out for days. Geez. Last year, We spent the whole night in an isle at Walmart! Before long ,it'll be called Black Thursday!

My daughter did the same thing. She got the TV but they went early Thanksgiving and almost had to duke it out.

nprfool
Black Friday Pro

Postby nprfool » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Last year the only thing I waited in line for was a ZhuZhu pet at TRU, at the "reasonable" hour of midnight. I hit the line around 10pm, and was there in time to pick up one pet and some accessories, which was all I needed. I did a little nosing around the store until 1am, got coffee, then started hitting up other stores at or near opening all the way until 7am. I also did most of my serious hardhitting purchases online beforehand, so I was just scooping up things like $3 crockpots, $4 DVDs, $50 terrabyte external storage, and $20 vacs from various stores, while the crowds made a beeline for the laptops.

I'll probably do something similar this year - look hard and early online for the laptop and two cameras I want this year, and hit the stores just at opening for the second tier specials that sell out early, but are usually still in the store for the first half hour or so.

LostYoMind
Black Friday Pro

Postby LostYoMind » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:14 am

The state I live in does not allow stores to open on holidays like thanksgiving, and personally i'm very happy about that!

g-man430
Black Friday Pro

Postby g-man430 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:50 pm

LostYoMind wrote:The state I live in does not allow stores to open on holidays like thanksgiving, and personally i'm very happy about that!

What state do you live in? :? While a lot of stores are closed here that day, there are several that remain open especially until 4pm.
GREEN BAY PACKERS!!!!

buynstuff4fun
Black Friday Pro

Postby buynstuff4fun » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:35 am

Agreed. I'm a veteran BF shopper, but I really cherish the time with family on Thanksgiving and I refuse to go shopping on the holiday. It's time to eat, lay on the couch and hang out with family and friends! It seems like they are pushing BF earlier and earlier. Pretty soon it will just start on Thanksgiving! I was at Old Navy at 3am last year and that was my limit!

johnson06_2004
Black Friday Pro

Postby johnson06_2004 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:52 am

i go the night b4 so it doesnt matter what time they open,,and i shop all day,,my husband and i make a day out of it,,

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 pm

I actually like it because the stores time staggers.

TRU at midnight....then something to eat or go home for a little bit then Old Navy at 3am (but no Old Navy this year)......then whatever store at 4am.....then Target or whatever at 5am.....then Office Depot at 6am or whatever

though Im not looking for big ticket items
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Agree

Postby john.daggett » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:31 pm

nippythedog wrote:I agree! I remember back to Black Friday 2001....We got into line at BB at about 3am and were only 15th in line! Now, I'd have to camp out for days. Geez. Last year, We spent the whole night in an isle at Walmart! Before long ,it'll be called Black Thursday!

I could not agree with you more. It has gotten ridiculous. The toys r us BF sucked! Midnight shopping even, more like midnight madness. I thought oh no one will be there it won't be a problem, WRONG! the line was in spiral form three time around the plaza and even in a huge plaza parking lot I had to park at a near by furniture store because there was no free spots! Employees couldn't even tell me where the line began and i had to rely on fellow BF shoppers to find it. I left because I thought to myself how am I possibly going to get my item if 3000 others already are in the store! More so when would I get out of the store with the lines at the register.

As far as Best buy goes. I would love to do BF there however every time lately I have gone by the line starts before I'm even done eating thanksgiving meal! BB you must camp out at to get what you want and quite frankly I never have seen a deal at BB worth that kind of a wait. They really do not discount anything to heavily IMO. I'm a big electronics guy but Idk what on earth everyone else goes there to wait for. I'm a person who likes to go at 4AM BF morning and run in with the crowd at 5 not wait from after my dinner to opening!

DramaticAnnie
Black Friday Pro

I agree

Postby DramaticAnnie » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:38 pm

In Maine (and this was still true last year so hopefully it will be again this year) they did not have KMart open on Thanksgiving. The only thing open on Thanksgiving is Denny's and that's a tradition for us. (We're not from the USA by the way lol)

But last year was the first year the Bangor, Maine Walmart was open 24 hours, so they opened at Midnight. When we went at 3am to go get in line (like we do every other year) we were amazed and appalled that it was ALREADY OPEN. The lineups for the laptops etc were already full.. and some of the items that didn't have a 5am stamp on them were long gone.. I don't know what I can do for this year, go at Midnight? And then spend most of my time there and hit other stores by 5ish? I mean we usually crash hard around 6pm on Black Friday.. being from out of town(out of country really) you get what you can done while it can be done.. but if I'm up at Midnight I'm not going to make it much past noon.. which will stink. Maybe a power nap Friday afternoon then back out? Not really sure.

I don't know if there's much more I look forward to then our annual shopping blitz at Black Friday. I'll have to rely on my adrenaline to keep me going I guess.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Re: Agree

Postby jediknight » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:48 pm

john.daggett wrote:

I could not agree with you more. It has gotten ridiculous. The toys r us BF sucked! Midnight shopping even, more like midnight madness. I thought oh no one will be there it won't be a problem, WRONG! the line was in spiral form three time around the plaza and even in a huge plaza parking lot I had to park at a near by furniture store because there was no free spots! Employees couldn't even tell me where the line began and i had to rely on fellow BF shoppers to find it. I left because I thought to myself how am I possibly going to get my item if 3000 others already are in the store! More so when would I get out of the store with the lines at the register.

As far as Best buy goes. I would love to do BF there however every time lately I have gone by the line starts before I'm even done eating thanksgiving meal! BB you must camp out at to get what you want and quite frankly I never have seen a deal at BB worth that kind of a wait. They really do not discount anything to heavily IMO. I'm a big electronics guy but Idk what on earth everyone else goes there to wait for. I'm a person who likes to go at 4AM BF morning and run in with the crowd at 5 not wait from after my dinner to opening!

I don't know where you live, but that sounds just like what happened at my TRU! - at 8 pm there were 15 people in line...by 10pm it was around the building! - From what I heard, tickets were passed out early but no employee went outside to tell the customers that they were passed out and people erupted when they ran out of items.

It was total chaos!

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Re: Agree

Postby john.daggett » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:34 pm

jediknight wrote:
john.daggett wrote:

I don't know where you live, but that sounds just like what happened at my TRU! - at 8 pm there were 15 people in line...by 10pm it was around the building! - From what I heard, tickets were passed out early but no employee went outside to tell the customers that they were passed out and people erupted when they ran out of items.

It was total chaos!

Used to live in Connecticut, I go back to Connecticut for my black Friday to get away from Massachusetts prices.

Return to “Rants and Raves”