Am I the ONLY person who hates stores opening even earlier??

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: ikey2, hiker

my4boyz98
Black Friday Pro

Am I the ONLY person who hates stores opening even earlier??

Postby my4boyz98 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:26 am

Ok, so TRU did the midnight sales last year.....and from what I heard it was INSANE!! Now I am hearing rumors of 4am sales at wallyworld and even earlier at Old Navy and others. I think this is crazy!!!! Whats next, shopping on Thanksgiving morning?

While I think it would be awesome if stores staggered their openings, I think anything before 5am is insane. I get up around 2am and head out to the stores. Getting in line around 3am for my ticket items or waiting around for the sale for non ticket items. But by opening at 4am that means I am a hour earlier, heck why even go to bed??

I just think it is getting out of hand, I love my BF shopping, I get done around 10am and take the kids (And my babysitter mother in law) out to a late breakfast and then we all go to the mall or Walmart and do some slow shopping just enjoying the rush of people. Then we go home, decorate the house for the holiday and feast on left-overs. Black Friday is a whole day experiance with shopping, decorating and spending time with each other. But if they start the sales so early, I think people are going to be even more cranky and hateful! People already get less sleep and thus they can be nasty........can you imagine them with even less sleep??

Kimmer
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kimmer » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:52 am

I agree with you wholeheartedly!! I did the R Us midnight thing last year and then stayed up all night, morning, etc. So instead of being able to come home and decorate and enjoy the rest of the day, I crashed on the couch, had a headache and was basically useless the rest of the day!!!!! Not fun!
I, too, love BF, and it's a family tradition of ours but please, let me sleep a little!!!!!

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:01 am

I don't mind the early openings, they're nice. What I DON'T like however, is when all of the stores open earlier, at the same time! For instance, JC Penny and Walmart opening at 4. That screws up my normal routine that I've had for YEARS of running through JC Penny as soon as they open, running in the door, grabbing my snow globes, and running out. Then I run next door to Walmart to get in line there. If they both open at 4, I'm afraid I'd miss out on my snowglobe or something nice at Walmart. After I hit those stores I always drop the wife off at KMart then I run to Staples. They CAN'T mess up my plans!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:11 am

personally I wish all the stores opened at the same time and it was between 10 and midnight thanksgiving.... I want people to have to choose between stores...
but that way in most cases I would be done with everything by 3-4 am be home to sleep before kids get up, get up around 10-11 and have a great day at home.

my4boyz98
Black Friday Pro

Postby my4boyz98 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 am

steffj89 wrote:personally I wish all the stores opened at the same time and it was between 10 and midnight thanksgiving.... I want people to have to choose between stores...
but that way in most cases I would be done with everything by 3-4 am be home to sleep before kids get up, get up around 10-11 and have a great day at home.

Now that would not be to bad..............I just hate these midnight here, 4am there and 6am somewhere else. By the time I get done I am useless. Last year we did not do the TRU store, but if I do it this year I worry that I will be useless when I do get done. Which totaly SUCKS! :(

HauteChocolot
Black Friday Newbie

Black Friday Traditions

Postby HauteChocolot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:45 pm

For the first time in my life I actually experienced BF in another state and loved it - sort of. I actually spent Thanksgiving in ATL and was a little nervous about what I would do for BF. Please understand that our BF experience is quite an affair - almost a holiday within itself! It consists of us (my sister & I) having a conference call Thanksgving night with all that are going and going over the ads to plot out our strategy (looking at opening times, the must have items, etc.). Then we do the "wake up call" at about 2am and everyone meets at my house by 3am. Then we stop for coffee and then we are off! We always start at Wally's world, I don't think things would be right if we didn't! We always start with the usual subjects (Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, then maybe Khol's) then we hit the mall by about 8am. We are usually eating a late breakfast by 11am and then back at home by 12:30pm for a nap. We usually plan to come back to the mall in the evening when things have sort of died down.

However, 2009 I was in ATL and went to a 24 hour Wal-Mart. I was amazed how eerily calm the store was :? - no pushing, fighting, police....etc. We actually were able to walk into the stores and pick up items before the official start of the sale. We even were checked out before the sale began and I was out of the store onto K-Mart before it even opened! I loved it. However, if I am back in NYS next month I will be missing the calm of ATL. The downside is not knowing where all my favorite stores were so I was unable to hit all of my favorites. Also, I had to restrain myself because I only had so much room in my car for the ride back to NY.

Wherever I am for Black Friday 2010 I am ready! :D

dynen
Black Friday Amateur

Postby dynen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:22 pm

We get in line on Wednesday afternoon so the earlier BB opens, the better.

luckycharms38
Black Friday Pro

Re: Am I the ONLY person who hates stores opening even earli

Postby luckycharms38 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:59 pm

my4boyz98 wrote:Ok, so TRU did the midnight sales last year.....and from what I heard it was INSANE!! Now I am hearing rumors of 4am sales at wallyworld and even earlier at Old Navy and others. I think this is crazy!!!! Whats next, shopping on Thanksgiving morning?

Didn't Old Navy open at 2 or 3am last year? Opening earlier doesn't bother me, I'm in line usually Turkey night. But like teknoge3k said what I wouldn't want to see happen is stores opening all at the same time. I remember when I use to be able to hit Walmart and still get out and to Target before they opened. That was also back in the time stores use to give out goodie bags.....I really miss those bags :(

caroleena
Black Friday Pro

Postby caroleena » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:27 pm

idc what time they open. what i really detest is the hiding of the merchandise. if its tv's have it near electronics. i think many stores are getting away from that and i'm glad. way back in the day i had to lug a huge tv from the garden center at walmart to the front checkout. i wouldn't do that now.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Personally, I would rather have stores open Thanksgiving evening or by 5-6am Black Friday - I would not be happy if all of the stores started opening at the same time because...it would ruin my Thanksgiving Dinner and take the fun out of the whole strategy for me.

If it is 10pm Thanksgiving evening...who cares!...I'll jet after dinner...but if everything opens at midnight...then I'll probably stay home and use online! :)

nprfool
Black Friday Pro

Postby nprfool » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:18 pm

"Whats next, shopping on Thanksgiving morning? "

Old Navy was open on Thanksgiving Day last year, IIRC. I know because we went out for the T dinner, and stumbled into an open store afterward. It felt weird, but we did get some good buys.

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:24 pm

No, no you're not...I don't like change....it messes with my routine and tradition! I like getting up early in the morning...while it's still dark outside, grabbing a cup of coffee and standing outside in the cold with my girls waiting for the doors to open! It's exciting! Those are some of the things that makes shopping on BF stand apart from any other ordinary day of shopping around for sales.

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:43 pm

FYI: SEARS and K-MART are both open on Thanksgiving this year.

blackfridayaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby blackfridayaddict » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:56 pm

redkel wrote:FYI: SEARS and K-MART are both open on Thanksgiving this year.

For a few years now, I don't know how far back, Kmart has been open on Thanksgiving day and has a Thanksgiving day sale.

blackfridayaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby blackfridayaddict » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:02 pm

My own personal issue with this is that I've been going out for black friday for I'd say 8 years now. Back when I first started, showing up at 2am was okay, the store opened at 6 and I'd have an okay (not great) spot in line. As time passed I've been having to show up earlier, which is okay, a few years ago BB and WalMart switched it to 5, that was fine, I'd go to BB, be out by 5:15 and in line at Target by 5:20 for the 6am opening. But now, everything is opening earlier! Last year Kohls and Sears opened at 3! WM at 4 and Target at 5! The earlier these opening times get, the earlier people are getting in line. I've always been able to enjoy thanksgiving dinner with my family and be in line by 8 or 9pm, but the way things are looking, because of opening times changing to earlier and earlier, getting in line at 8 or 9 will soon become the "norm" and the people will get there earlier and earlier.

Return to “Rants and Raves”