A Good samaratin but sad story, peeps are pathetic

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

cjupiter
Black Friday Pro

Postby cjupiter » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:01 pm

I'd have to have spoken to the man myself, to gauge whether I felt he was sincere. I couldn't base what I'd do on a message board post.
However, didn't Target have like $3 appliances? And a lot of stores had decent sales on sheets, clothing (WM had $3 pj's I believe) and so forth. It's entirely reasonable to assume he and his family were going for as much new stuff as they could, on sale, to help out. I know I would have.

Because... I was doing the same thing. A co-worker of mine is a divorced dad with unexpected custody of 3 kids, trying to stay afloat. He was going to skimp on Christmas this year for lack of funds and bills that need paid, heating oil, etc. My husband and I have "adopted" the family and went to a lot of BF sales to get stuff for the kids that the man wouldn't be able to afford. We picked up clothes and toys for them in addition to the things we wanted for our families. We didn't use this as a reason to move ahead in line- I suspect the guy the OP met wasn't either, probably just making conversation- but this was one of the main reasons we went early. I used the gift card I waited 3 hours for at Boscov's on kids' clothes.

Again, without speaking to him myself, I can only speculate. If I had, and felt he was legit, I'd have probably done the same thing, or at least helped him find the things he was looking for. And I would also have gotten the name of the family with the burned-down house so I could verify it later. :wink:

jfremont
Black Friday Newbie

what time did you have to get inline?

Postby jfremont » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:24 pm

to get the three dollar sandwich maker?

bjbarrick
Black Friday Pro

Postby bjbarrick » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:18 am

Sorry majority....I'd give the guy my place in line regardless. If it was a scam, what am I out? A few bargains? I'd much rather miss out on a few doorbusters than turn my back on someone trying to make a good Christmas for the less unfortunate.

jelezoglo
Black Friday Pro

Postby jelezoglo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:18 am

bjbarrick wrote:Sorry majority....I'd give the guy my place in line regardless. If it was a scam, what am I out? A few bargains? I'd much rather miss out on a few doorbusters than turn my back on someone trying to make a good Christmas for the less unfortunate.

right on!!!!!

amiemarie7
Black Friday Pro

Postby amiemarie7 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:45 pm

come on people. why would someone make up the story? he was just hoping he would make up a story and the person next to him in line would be so moved she would go and tell employees to let him thru? and then the employee would say YES, then all the people in line would say YES?

really, i dont think it is reasonable to think this man made up the whole thing for alot of hypothetical situations. although many people might be moved, 99.9% of the people wouldnt have taken the initiative to go up and get involved with the employee at all. so what, he makes up a story just to pass the time? it just seems like there is no real reason to make it up, he wasnt asking the employee himself to go in first. the OP took it upon themselves to do that.

and i didnt see the OP say he even needed the doorbusters, i read it as she felt moved that he was out there trying to do a good deed and here everyone is cutting lines for themselves. i will say, if a husband is waiting in line for their wife, thats ok. but i think its awful when one person is standing there and right before opening comes the whole neighborhood. now those people are the sneaky ones.

someone actually helped me out on black friday and i am grateful-

http://forums.bfads.net/viewtopic.php?p=101036#101036

raymacfla
Black Friday Pro

Postby raymacfla » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:10 am

jelezoglo wrote:
bjbarrick wrote:Sorry majority....I'd give the guy my place in line regardless. If it was a scam, what am I out? A few bargains? I'd much rather miss out on a few doorbusters than turn my back on someone trying to make a good Christmas for the less unfortunate.

right on!!!!!

Giving a spot at Target is nothing like giving a spot at Best Buy, especially if you are there for over a day! I agree that there is nothing there that can be had that insurance wouldn't cover anyway. The bare essentials will always be there, unless you are fighting for them in Walmart. No need to panic on this one. i have personally given tickets away to those who put in sweat equity in line. Showing up to the line a couple of hours prior to opening with a sob story does not qualify as sweat equity.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:43 pm

There was a long line at Target? Unless the guy was there for their version of a door buster what was the big deal? Going to Bed, Bath and Beyond would have been a better option for house staples.

Russell Burrows
Black Friday Pro

Postby Russell Burrows » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:09 pm

Sounds fishy.
And places like GoodWill stores will give stuff away to folks with a burned down house that need jackets, blankets and toys.

If ?I were a manager at a store and I hear someguy tell me dude my house burned down and heres the newspaper picture of the burned down house and heres a matching id to go with the newspaper name then hey! folks let this guy in early! and let the guy buy some needed stuff like blankets, sweaters, jackets, etc.

And tell the folks at the cash register to ONLY let the guy buy those things since at the first sign of that guy trying to buy ""needfull things"" like 80 inch LCD HDTV or doorbuster laptop, etc its eject the guy from store and cool ride in the copmobile! for him!!!

I hate scammers and that goes double for ebay flipper scammers.

Return to “Rants and Raves”