A Good samaratin but sad story, peeps are pathetic

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

mckeymse9
Black Friday Pro

A Good samaratin but sad story, peeps are pathetic

Postby mckeymse9 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:34 pm

Last night midnight thanksgiving I was in line at target at 2am. Talking to the man next to me. He, his wife and several neighbors were scattered at various stores to purchase items for a neighbor whose house burnt down andthey lost everything. A family of 5. He and friends were out shopping for the basic needs, kids, clothes, bedding, kitchen items, toys etc for this family. we were about 30th or so in line with the front of the line full of college students as were are about 5 miles south Arizona State U. at about 4:30 the front of the line starting getting "thicker" as other friends and family memebers were showing to join the already friends and family members in line. So by 5am we were back at about 65th. Right before the store opened I went to the target employee at front of line, told her of this mans story, reminded her that while YES this is about shopping let's try and remember giving thanks and the spirit of GOD, asked if she would pull this man to the front of the line. She had no problem "great idea" as we went down the line explaining the situation to people much to my amazment everyone said "HELL NO" the best we could do was got him up about 10 people ahead of us.

i understand we were all freezing, tired and had our own personal agendas, put come on I was really shocked at how rude and uncareing people were. But ya'll also need to know that right now in AZ we have all the winter visitors, families from cold areas came in for holiday and the big interstate game this weekend. No matter where you were or what store unless you were in the first 50, there was no way you were gonna get what you came for. Our TRUS sold out completely of all toys by this morning, wlamart people started in line at 4pm, it was a zoo. I was really saddened, there were alot of peope including myself that went shopping to get toys for kids that this was my "our" only shot to get at these prices, . I pray the saales will remain low and I will be able to pick up a few things for my son. God willing

tinkerbell4726
Black Friday Amateur

Postby tinkerbell4726 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:12 am

Are you sure he was really doing that tho? I mean I would say no because that sounds like a great way to feed on people's emotions. If those people were really bad off why wouldn't they go to a Salvation Army? I mean you could get great finds and some stuff is ALOT cheaper than wasting time and and energy shopping on the craziest shopping day?

I applaud your kindness, and I'm not trying to come off rude at all, but I would just feel taken advantage of if someone was duping me into a sad story like that to simply get ahead. That story just sounds really fishy, but I wasn't in line so I really don't know.

BAF
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BAF » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:14 am

I doubt he would be purchasing door buster items for his neighbors anyway. Nice idea, but does it really matter if he is #1 or #65?

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:16 am

TRU sold completely out of ALL toys? uhhhh doubtful.

VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:43 am

would definitely say no because doorbusters are usually big ticket items and are the tvs and laptops why would they need that. if they were really poor they should shop at those thrift stores.

Jessfrogger88
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Jessfrogger88 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:59 am

I hate to sound cold hearted, but I would be wary as well... Sounds fishy to me and as those have said the only items that would be going quickly would be the big flat screen tv's, laptops, digital camera's etc..... I'm sure he would still be able to get plenty of toys, clothing, and household appliances if they were the 65th person in line.

thatoneguy
Black Friday Pro

Postby thatoneguy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:05 am

I'm the same way not to sound cold hearted but I wouldnt have let them either. I see the same kind of story on craigslist daily someone who is hurting for an item and wants super cheap or free and gives some sad stories. Usually some single mom that lost thier job and now need car or something. There may some stories that are true but the ones that are not make people trust all these stories anymore.

tjmj9801
Black Friday Pro

Postby tjmj9801 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:26 am

Yeah, I mean, clothes, kitchen necesseties, etc should still be well in stock even if he got there a few hours after opening.

Sounds like you have a big heart and good intentions to help someone. Did he tell you exactly what he was there to get? If it involved TV's, game systems, etc, the family can do without those things.

nprfool
Black Friday Pro

Postby nprfool » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:30 am

It should be easy enough to check now - do a web search of your local paper, and see if anyone lost a home due to a house fire lately. It may not be THIS guy, I know, but at least you could find out if there was someone out there.

BTW, I knew someone who did lose nearly everything in a fire. He said theat they did gratefully receive a lot of used donated items, as well as did a lot of thrift store shopping, but the new items were especially appreciated, especially things like kitchen stuff, bedding, and clothing. It helped ease the sting a bit.

twigger320@charter.net
Black Friday Newbie

Postby twigger320@charter.net » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:05 am

Wow...what a bunch of nay-sayers. Automatically assume the guy is scamming and trying to get your stuff, that's the spirit. By the way, people do go and stand in line for others. I did a few years ago when I was shopping for a couple families that our school PTO had " adopted". It was a great way to get more for the families.

And by the way, I would have gladly given my spot to this man.

cpatrick2202
Black Friday Pro

Postby cpatrick2202 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:11 am

I gotta agree with the others..not saying that he was scamming..but what the heck would it matter if he was 65th in line for clothing and stuff??? The things that went fast were the TV's and such..not the household items, clothing, sheets, blankets and things. I was like 400th in line at Target and I got my 700 thread count sheets and stuff with NO PROBLEM. The people that were disappointed were there for electronics...not household stuff.

carolinagirl
Black Friday Newbie

Postby carolinagirl » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:23 am

I have to agree with the majority here. Why did this gentleman need to be at the front of the line? Did he say what items he needed to purchase that warranted him needing to be at the front? If he was shopping for necessities such as clothing, kitchen items etc. then he was fine right where he was in line. Don't get me wrong...I'm all for helping those that need help, but I guess I'm just a little skeptical of why he was in line at Target that early in the morning for "necessities". Of course, I might feel differently if I had talked to this gentleman myself in person.

BAF
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BAF » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:30 pm

twigger320@charter.net wrote:Wow...what a bunch of nay-sayers. Automatically assume the guy is scamming and trying to get your stuff, that's the spirit. By the way, people do go and stand in line for others. I did a few years ago when I was shopping for a couple families that our school PTO had " adopted". It was a great way to get more for the families.

The only reason he needs to be at the front of the line is for doorbusters. He's not buying doorbusters for a neighbor whose house burnt down unless he is really generous. If there was an actual reason he needed my spot in line, I'd give it, but based on what the OP said, he would do just fine being #65.

soccerman77
Black Friday Amateur

Postby soccerman77 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:52 pm

BAF wrote:
twigger320@charter.net wrote:Wow...what a bunch of nay-sayers. Automatically assume the guy is scamming and trying to get your stuff, that's the spirit. By the way, people do go and stand in line for others. I did a few years ago when I was shopping for a couple families that our school PTO had " adopted". It was a great way to get more for the families.

The only reason he needs to be at the front of the line is for doorbusters. He's not buying doorbusters for a neighbor whose house burnt down unless he is really generous. If there was an actual reason he needed my spot in line, I'd give it, but based on what the OP said, he would do just fine being #65.

Well if his house burnt down I am sure they lost stuff that was doorbusters too. So, maybe he was in line to get them cheaper.

VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:25 pm

the better way is to ask what he wants and someone hold items for him that way he cant lie.

Return to “Rants and Raves”