Best Buy WTF

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

BAF
Black Friday Amateur

Best Buy WTF

Postby BAF » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:08 pm

Bought the $200 HP Laptop. They claimed the only ones they had were already pre-setup and "optimized" by geek squad -- $100 more. I said hell no, nobody told me about this, I'm not paying. A manager ended up "giving" it to me for free.

Well, the laptop had no manuals or anything in the box, just the laptop and power cord. The laptop wasn't even packaged as I would have expected from prior experience. The only paperwork I have with the laptop is the receipt and the geek-squad provided restore discs - 3 burnt DVD+R's.

Does this seem fishy to anyone else? In past years I've always gotten sealed machines from BB. Do they just discard all the items inside the box, or is HP not including such things anymore? I mean, there's not even any warranty terms or 'quick start' guides or anything. This concerns me slightly.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:10 pm

I didn't get one, but that doesn't sound right... I'd go talk to the manager sometimes, now that it's not so chaotic. Explain nicely about what wasn't there, and that you need the items..
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

BAF
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BAF » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:24 pm

I wouldn't be as concerned if it was for myself, but it is a gift for someone else.

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Postby dkst0426 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:33 pm

Almost sounds as if you got a display model. I use an HP laptop, and when I bought it (from Sam's) last summer, it came sealed with Quick Start guides, etc.

dynen
Black Friday Amateur

Postby dynen » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:40 pm

Ours came sealed in a box with a Quick Tour poster and two other booklets. We had to make our own recovery disks.

Best Buy tried to coerce us into paying extra for the "optimized" computer two years ago but we insisted they give it to us at the advertised price. It came in a box with the packaging plus the booklets, I can't remember if we had to make the recovery disks. They had removed the crapware but that isn't worth an extra $100.00.

BAF
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BAF » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:13 am

Yeah, nothing in the box, just the restore discs they burned for us, the laptop, and the charger. Laptop still has the plastic protective layer on it, power adapter is all bundled up still, etc, so I don't think it was a display model (I thought this model was just a BF special model anyway, like in prior years - their site said it was a limited-time item, etc etc before BF). I'll definitely have to give them a call or go in and ask what the heck is going on though.

Eddyisgreat
Black Friday Pro

Postby Eddyisgreat » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:55 am

You still got a slightly new model as the only thing they did to it was open the box, plug it in, work their stuff and they should have put it back in the box but perhaps they skimped this year. So yes you got the appropriate thing as far as optimized models go. I was floored when they introduced that BS a couple of years back. I was first in line as always so I had a choice between just the plain laptop which nets best buy zero dollars or the fully optimized geeksquad bs version which is mostly profit. Or of course the forced bundle version too; those are always great.

Reminds me of when a couple of retailers forced wii buyers to include useless accessories and low quality junk just because the wiis were flying off the shelves.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:16 am

Thats how they came this year. When we were in the line waiting for them to check us out one of the managers made the announcement that it does not come with any office software at all. You have to buy a cd to do a "back up" in case the system crashes or you can pay 59.99 for geek squad to do something. So in other words its just the computer with nothing on it lol

dkst0426
Black Friday Pro

Postby dkst0426 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:46 am

Doesn't this count as bait and switch?

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:48 am

Amazon has the microsoft office home and student 2007 I think for 59.99 and that includes the free shipping

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:00 am

dkst0426 wrote:Doesn't this count as bait and switch?

Call your state and make a complaint!

Our BB had some cheaper Toshibas that were marked the same price as the one in the ad, but were much lower quality with a printer and bag bundle. I couldn't believe the amount of people who were grabbing them thinking they were the one in the ad. I asked where the other one was, but of course they had gotten 3 that went to the first 3 people in line. I took pictures and plan to call the state and make a complaint. In MN Bait and switch is illegal.

BAF
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BAF » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:25 pm

SPARKLE2217 wrote:Thats how they came this year. When we were in the line waiting for them to check us out one of the managers made the announcement that it does not come with any office software at all. You have to buy a cd to do a "back up" in case the system crashes or you can pay 59.99 for geek squad to do something. So in other words its just the computer with nothing on it lol

I guess I'm lucky that I didn't have to argue too awful much to only pay $198. I don't care about office or anything, what surprised me is how horribly the laptop was packaged, lack of any paperwork at all in the box, etc. Literally, the only thing in the box was a little bit of cardboard spacing, the AC adapter, and the laptop. The laptop just had the plastic protective sticker on the outside, no packaging inside that they usually put between the keyboard and screen, the laptop itself wasn't padded or anything, etc.

I just told them I had been standing in line for hours at this point, after my buddy waited all night as a favor, and neither of us were in any mood to be screwed around with. The ad on their site for it said nothing about their optimization BS, etc., and I wasn't paying for it.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:28 pm

That totally stinks. I haven't opened the one I got yet. I just remember the girl saying that. Sigh I guess the economy is so bad they are finding ways to cut back on things. Just sad

BAF
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BAF » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:31 pm

When you do open it, let me know what's in it if you don't mind.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:59 pm

sure no problem

Return to “Rants and Raves”