All Done! How did everyone do?

Praise or Complain about your prior Black Friday Experiences

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

All Done! How did everyone do?

Postby jediknight » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:43 am

All done!

I completed my online shopping and just got back from the malls. I got what I needed and wanted - a few snafus with TRU.com and a couple crazy employees but that is to be expected.

How did everyone else do? Also, did you find yourself doing more online shopping than stores...especially when you can find free shipping?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:54 am

Yesterday I bought the GPS I wanted at Radio Shack online, so that was great. It seemed like everyone wanted the cheaper GPS units this year, not realizing they're the cheapies. :)

We got to JC Penny and waited inside the warm mall at 3:25 this morning. They opened the doors at 3:40 and we ran in, grabbed our snow globes, then ran to Walmart. We got to Walmart, and people had torn the plastic on most items, so we filled up our buggy with the things we wanted there, and just waited until 5am until we could purchase. Then we ran to Radio Shack at another mall (which didn't have what I wanted, but we ran into JC Penny at that mall and got more snow globes).. Then we ran over to Staples, I got my label maker from Staples, then we ran to Office Max. We actually had to wait about 10 minutes for them to open, but once they opened, I ran in, grabbed my hard drive and was the 2nd person to checkout. From there, we ran to Super Shoes to get my wife some medical scrubs for work. Then we went to Home Depot to get the batteries since it was such a good deal. From there, we went to Waffle House and had breakfast. Then we went to Walmart near my home which still had EVERYTHING from their doorbuster left at 9am. The only thing they were out of, was the $200 laptops. Then I ran to our local Radio Shack and bought the last of the item that I wanted there. Then we came home and unloaded the car and was done everything by 9:30. :)

I got every single item on my shopping list. It was great!!!

This was a great year. :)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

njensenmix
Black Friday Pro

Postby njensenmix » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:31 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Yesterday I bought the GPS I wanted at Radio Shack online, so that was great. It seemed like everyone wanted the cheaper GPS units this year, not realizing they're the cheapies. :)

We got to JC Penny and waited inside the warm mall at 3:25 this morning. They opened the doors at 3:40 and we ran in, grabbed our snow globes, then ran to Walmart. We got to Walmart, and people had torn the plastic on most items, so we filled up our buggy with the things we wanted there, and just waited until 5am until we could purchase. Then we ran to Radio Shack at another mall (which didn't have what I wanted, but we ran into JC Penny at that mall and got more snow globes).. Then we ran over to Staples, I got my label maker from Staples, then we ran to Office Max. We actually had to wait about 10 minutes for them to open, but once they opened, I ran in, grabbed my hard drive and was the 2nd person to checkout. From there, we ran to Super Shoes to get my wife some medical scrubs for work. Then we went to Home Depot to get the batteries since it was such a good deal. From there, we went to Waffle House and had breakfast. Then we went to Walmart near my home which still had EVERYTHING from their doorbuster left at 9am. The only thing they were out of, was the $200 laptops. Then I ran to our local Radio Shack and bought the last of the item that I wanted there. Then we came home and unloaded the car and was done everything by 9:30. :)

I got every single item on my shopping list. It was great!!!

This was a great year. :)

Man I'm exhausted just reading this! :lol:

As it turned out, we only had one item we woke up early to get, the snowblower at Kmart, but missed out on it, boo. They only had three at each location and we got beat out for a ticket for it. So, we went back home and hubby went back to sleep. I stayed up and hopped on Amazon for Dragon Age and some other goodies, and picked up a couple of items from an Etsy seller who does some good costume stuff. Around 9am, I rolled out to WM and picked up the $18 disney kids table and chairs set, a couple of $10 craft kits, and some take n toss cups for the little one.

Now that hubby is up again, we're hitting a movie and lunch since the kiddos are with Grandma and Grandpa.
Nicole
Seven tours of retail Black Friday duty 1991 - 1998, now retired

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:36 pm

I'd love to go to a movie or something....

...wait, no I wouldn't. I'd fall asleep.

Snow??? :?:
What's that? lol

(Sorry, it doesn't snow in Virginia anymore)

I am sure our KMart only had 1 snow blower, and they probably still have it. If they have it again next year and you remember ask me, I'll get it and ship it. :)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

SONO_Scott
Black Friday Pro

Postby SONO_Scott » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:55 pm

I was easy this year.

Ordered the Toshiba Laptop from BB yesterday morning (already have shipping confirmation on it) And today i was going to get up to go to Staples for the HP Officejett Pro 8500. My better half decided she wanted to hit Sports Authority and get the free gift card. So We saw that there were only 3 people in line at SA at 430 so we went next door to PC Richards ( Now I remember why I hate places where everybody is on commision. We couldn't walk 5 steps without somebody asking what we were looking for). Afert a few minutes of being annoyed at PC we headed back to SA and there were about 20 people in line. Doors opened promptly at 5 and we eneded up with $25 each. I dutifully gave mine to her and she got a North Face Fleece and a North Face Jacket both for about $60 total out of pocket.

I then went to Staples and got my OfficeJett. I traded in my 12 year old 830c for $50 towards the new one plus I had $27 in Staples rewards, so the OfficeJet ended up being $72.99. Went home and went to sleep for a couple hrs.

Set the printer up and it turns out to be defective DOH!!! I called Staples and they had 1 left so I ran back and swapped it out. Now it is all hooked up and I am done for the day......

That is unless the better half comes home and decides she wants to go out for more this evening.

Wysiwyg101
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Wysiwyg101 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:43 pm

We figured out what we wanted. My wife wanted me to pick up a PS2 and Guitar Hero Aerosmith for one kid. The other kid wanted to come along as she wanted a camera. I wanted a 32GB Thumbdrive and a number of microSD cards for stocking stuffers. Search bfads.net to see how many places I would have to hit to get all that. Turns out, just two. Gamestop which opened at 6a and OfficeMax which opened at 7a.

Rolled out of bed at 4:30a. Out the door by 5:30a. Drove by OfficeMax and there were like 4 people in line. Kept going just a little further (little less than a block distance wise) and found that there were only about 6 or 7 people outside of Gamestop.

We ended up getting the PS2 ($99), three games for a buy two pre-owned and get a third one free from Gamestop#1. We were told that one in the mall (right there by us) had a pre-owned Guitar and the Guitar Hero Aerosmith that was wanted.

While I was waiting in line outside Gamestop I sent a teen to OfficeMax. She was number 8 in line until two people dropped out. As soon as I was done in the first Gamestop I went around and waited in line with her. They came out and told us where everything was and gave vouchers out for the laptop deal they had (which we didn't need).

We got an Olympus FE4000 and a bunch of the microSD cards and the thumbdrive I wanted.

Went to the Gamestop in the mall, went to the counter and walked out less than three minutes later with the Guitar controller and the game we wanted.

Back home and in bed by 7:41am after getting pretty much everything I wanted. WOOT!!

After reading some of the posts prior to this one, I can tell I had a great BF experience. I think it's too bad that other people's experience wasn't as good. I wish everyone a safe and happy holidays this year. Merry Christmas!! if you had a bad experience this year and even if you had a great experience this year, may your next years BF experience be a tremendously AWESOME one.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:06 pm

went good for me again as usual!
got to the mall about 12:30. freaking packed!!! ended up not getting most of the stuff on my mall list, which was ok.
got done at the mall around 1:30 or 2 ish so we went to TRU. got in line right waay from my friend. I think we were out of there about 3:15 so we headed over to jc penny homestore parking lot. 2 cars there. about 3:30 we realized that they had opened early so we went in! grabbed our items.(and got snow globes) in and out! then headed over to jc penny mall store and got more snow globes!
they had ONE of the coats left that i wanted in the color that i want and in my size! perfect!!!!! in and out of jc penny.

then over to sears. wanted to get a snuggie for my mom but they only had the ugly green color. got my presure cooker, tried to pick a small line but their cash registers are SOOOOOOOO slow

sears is at another mall with a target connect so we got to target around 5:30. i think we were in the checkout line for an hour. no small applliances left :( might stop by tomorrow to see if they restock.

then went to menards and was in line tehre for about an hour... got home around 9 am and went to bed!!!

woke up around 2ish STARVING. so went to hardees to get some lunch. then took another nap until about 5:30 :)

did'nt hardly get any that was on my list, but that's ok. saves me money :)

nprfool
Black Friday Pro

Postby nprfool » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:48 pm

Did most of my shopping online Wednesday night - got a $179 netbook from BB, lost the Sony Vio ;-(, but got a Harmony Universal remote, a couple of Wii games, several items from Lowe's (drill bits., Dremel accessories, a sander, and even a garage cabinet !, etc. all with free shipping)

Got to our local Toys R Us at 11pm Wednesday night, and snagged a ticket for a Zhu Zhu hamster. Picked up that at midnight, along with some accessories, and everything on my list there - some doorbuster games, a Razor scooter, a Bionical microscope, some $4 kid DVDs, and a few other wishlist items for my kids. Went home, dropped everything off, and intended to go to sleep and catch some sales later in the moring, but stared at the ceiling until 4am (too amped up).

So I got dressed, got back in the car, and hit up the local Target 10 minutes befoire opening. After standing in the crazy line, made it into the store at 5:10am, and again got everything on my wish list but the $10 jump drive and the portable DVD player - I snagged a $30 comforter, more DVDs, the 1T hard drive for $60 (which still boggles my mind, as I remember paying ten times that for a 10 *megabyte* external drive), somne $3 PJs, and more stuff like this. Next on the list was Home Depot, where I got a $20 shop vac, cheap batteries and LED flashlights, and 10 poinsettias for 99 cents each. Last was Joanns, where I picked up an Ott light for $20, a sewing machine case for $30, a lot of fabric, and some knitting accessories, and got a 20% discount on most. I thought about hittig up one more store for discount towels and socks, but was pretty pooped.

Came home, checked Amazon and found porable DVD players for $50 ($60 sale price but $10 off wiht a Discover card), then finally went to sleep ;-) The only thing I missed out on was the Vaio, which I had bought, then lost ;-( )and a jump drive. Not bad!

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Missed out on the laptop deal at Best Buy but got everything else on my list. :D

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:01 pm

Got everything I wanted at Walmart! Woot-Woot!

Then ordered some stuff from Oldnavy on-line. Target was too crowded...Gonna go p-up a few items tommorw.

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:18 pm

I started my shopping at Midnight at Toys R Us.

Me and my son went to get some Lego sets. We got there at 11pm and were like the 400th people in line! So we waited. Well what made me mad was that when we started shuffling in the doors and we got maybe 10 people from entering, 5 people get in front of us! This guy saw them and said "hey you're cutting!" Then I started in and kept on. The girl said "we are with this group" I told her well you haven't been waiting here like we have and the 200 people behind us, you need to get to the back of the line". She ignored me and ignored me while i ranted on on how they cut in line regardless if they were with the group in front of us. She then got angry and said "do you want to get in front of us" and I told her "no the point is is that you didn't wait like everyone else did". We did get the Lego sets.

We then went to the outlet mall. We were going to the Marc Echo store to get shirts. My son just got rid of a bunch of shirts to Goodwill so I thought I'd buy him a few Marc Echo shirts. They had 30% off of everything, even sale price. Then we got some Aunti Anne's pretzels, yummmm!

We then went to Old Navy because they were giving away a free Lego Rock Band video game with a $20 purchase but you had to get a wristband. We got there around 1:45am and waited and waited. We were about the 40th people. Around 2:45am the lady came by and said all the wristband's were givin out, no more. So we left.

I brought my son home cuz he was falling asleep.

I went back out at 4:30am to go to Target. They gave us free re-useable bags. I got the Lego set I went in for.

I then went to Game Crazy for the $14 Prototype game for the XBox and they had plenty.

My next stop was Office Depot to try and attempt to get the $199 netbook for my other son. I got there around 5:45am and was maybe 35th in line. Office Depot sux because they only have 2 registers. I got the last ticket for the netbook! WOOOHOOOO! I stood in line for an hour and I was only the 8th person in line! WTH!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! but I got the netbook.

I got home around 8:30 and went to sleep. I didn't wake up till 3:30pm!! Dang I was tired!

I went to Best Buy to get Smallville and they had 2 in the store somewhere. They still had doorbusters and the guys were bringing some out on the floor.
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

barrett76
Black Friday Pro

Postby barrett76 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:39 pm

Started at toysrus with good placement. Did great there. But then went to old navy and sat in line for 2 hours trying to get the free Lego game. Missed it by 15 people. Went to walmart, target, best buy, jc Penney, bath and body works, radio shack, and sears. Did great except for the one thing. Oh well, no biggie. It sure was cold though and a little disappointing for just missing it.

However I did get a zhu zhu pet after saying I would never buy one. But it was there and since it's the hot toy I figured why not? I'll put it in the kittys stocking. She will have fun with it!

Suzapaloooza
Black Friday Pro

Postby Suzapaloooza » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:04 pm

My husband and I did well. We got everything we went for.

I started at 11:30 at TRU and was what I estimate to be 300th in line. Needless to say, I did not get a zhu zhu pet...but oh well. Went to Walmart at Midnight. My husband was 6th in line for the 298 laptop, our friends were 20 and 21st in line for the 198 laptop. The store had 31 of the 298 and 40 of the 198 so we got em. I got everything I wanted in my cart by 2am and checked out - ALL prices except the 8 ticketed items were valid before 5am..crazy!

Next stop, Old Navy. I could have gotten the video game easily but since they didn't open until 4 in our location I waited in the mall and got first pick of all the clothes, but sacrificed the video game.

Then, I went back to Walmart to check out a few more items with the Laptop with my husband. Off to Staples got a bunch of computer geek things for hubs. Then went to Home Depot for 99 cent poinsettas. Then half asleep off to Kmart for kicks and giggles and picked up a few small things.

All in all..GREAT success. It was much more crowded and stressful than years past though. Happy Holidays All! :)

BAF
Black Friday Amateur

Postby BAF » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:19 pm

I didn't have much to buy this year, I mostly just went along with a buddy for the fun of it. A few other friends sat at best buy to sell their doorbuster tickets as they have done and been profitable at in years past. They gave me a $200 HP ticket, and only managed to sell one ticket to someone else, so not much in the way of desirable deals.

Anyway, we started out at TRU at 11:45 for the fun of it. Line was huge, and they let everyone in at once. We get in, decide we're not waiting to buy the 2 items we had picked up, and spent 10 or so minutes fighting our way out of the store. (wonder how many fire codes were broken :P)

Went to walmart to see another buddy who was waiting for a TV, chatted a bit, then headed south. Checked out the other walmart, chatted with buddies at Best Buy, and got some pizza at around 2am at a local pizzeria who stays open all night on BF. (BTW: did anyone else have the metal gates all zig-zagged for lines, etc outside at their walmart? Both our 24-hour walmarts had them - it made no sense at all as everyone was inside anyhow - also *TONS* of security guards and even police (real police, with guns) walking around).

We headed to sears first at 4am. Grabbed some tools for gifts, and my buddy grabbed the $150 toolbox combo, we were in and out (including delivery of toolbox to vehicle) in under 15 minutes. Sat in the car plotting other deals, then hit walmart for their 5am sales. Grabbed what was needed, paid, and was out by 5:20 or so (protip: be fast at grabbing your crap and if you're falling behind, skip stuff that's not too important/too great a deal to get in line fast). At this point, one of my friends from BB joined us. We split up for 6am openings - I went to staples after the $30 keyboard and $20 UPSes, one person went to Home Depot for the $10 flashlight kits and 60 AAs-for-$10 deal, and another went to lowes for tools and such. Then we went back to BB to pick up the $200 HP laptop, the line moved slower than slow, but we finally made it out of there.

I got everything I was looking for (and more), it was definitely funner hammering the stores than sitting in line at BB. I didn't get bored once from 11PM up until when I was standing in line for almost 2 hours at BB. By moving fast, we were able to clear all the stores we wanted to hit at opening and be out fast, hop in line 15-20 minutes before opening, run in, grab everything, book it to the checkouts, regroup at vehicle, drive around/look online/whatever for 10-15 minutes, repeat.

albertzerok
Black Friday Newbie

Postby albertzerok » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:21 pm

No $200 laptops, but I bought over 6 grand of electronics with the company card for the office, so a very good day!

I also picked up the blu-ray's that I missed this year cheap and pre-ordered a few more!

And my wife got a 64G iPod Touch.

Oh, and most of it, BestBuy.com. I'm a Reward Zone Silver Premiere Member, so I get Free shipping on everything at BB.com (and spent enough to re-qualify as silver!)

Return to “Rants and Raves”