How much $$$ do you spend?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Fusionspawn
Black Friday Pro

How much $$$ do you spend?

Postby Fusionspawn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:39 pm

So I spoil usually at Xmas time, I have three kids and they get about 25 gifts including 1 big gift around 100.00 or more. Am I alone in this, I can;t belive I'm the only one who really spends at Christmas time? :?:

LHaro
Black Friday Pro

Postby LHaro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:41 pm

That might be a bit excessive - but if you can afford it go for it. I spend about $150.00 for each of my sons... how many gifts they get depends on how expensive the stuff they are asking for is.

trishbbg
Black Friday Amateur

Postby trishbbg » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:46 pm

I go all out. I have no clue how many presents they get, probably as many as I can afford each year. Im my opinion, they are only little once, and they only believe in Santa for such a short time...why not make it something "magical" while they still believe in it.

jmcgee8032
Black Friday Pro

Postby jmcgee8032 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:50 pm

I agree it is only a small window we have to make Christmas magical. So I spend as much as I can afford. I probably spend about 400-600 on black Friday, and all in all over a thousand over the holidays.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:26 pm

I agree with trishbbg my kids are toddlers and only believe in Santa for a small short time so I go all out. I save all year and this is my favorite time of year. So I just make sure the amounts of presents are even and some are from Santa and some are from us mom and dad. Plus I do spoil my immediae family.

JrdnJstn
Black Friday Pro

Postby JrdnJstn » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:34 pm

I plan to just spend $500 all together. That's a gift for me and the rest for my kids. I am not buying anything for anyone else this year. I do want to buy my dad an mp3 player for his walks though but that's it no one else!
The biggest lie I tell myself is... "I don’t need to write that down, I’ll remember it."

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:47 pm

It is so much easier when they are little. When my daughter was little I could get her many gifts and not spend alot. Now she gets one or two because the ones she wants are so expensive. I think I spent about $250 on her last year and probably will spend around $200 this year. I only have one kid so it is a bit easier.

However, I really cut down my shopping list this year. There are fewer gifts going to fewer people.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:52 pm

We do a 'secret santa' in the family with a $40 limit.
As for each other, we don't have a set $$ - we just get what the other one puts on their 'wish list'

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:12 pm

Too much probably.

Bexx
Black Friday Pro

Postby Bexx » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:22 pm

I think I probably go overboard. But they don't get alot throughout the year. Just Christmas and Birthdays.

fentrio
Black Friday Pro

Postby fentrio » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:42 pm

We spend as much as we are able to afford. We only buy what we can pay with with money we have, no credit cards. In the past it has varied somewhere between 400 and 800 for all our 3 boys. Last year between the three of them they had 70something presents. That was last year, year of the beanie babies, little knights, cheap things, and a couple bigger items.

This year so far the two big boys have 9 presents each and aren't likely to get many more. This year it is all about wii games and 80+ dollar Lego sets. Our youngest is only 2 1/2. I think this is the year he will really get into opening them so we are trying to get a big quantity for him. We are also trying to avoid spending much on him since let's face it he doesn't really care too much yet (and so the less we spend on him the more we have for the big guys) so he is getting lots of the 1dollar dinosaurs.

As far as other family we also pick names. There is no spending limit, we just try to find something we think that person will like. We don't really buy each other Christmas gifts. We figure the less we spend on us the more money there is for the kids. We always get cash from my m-i-l so we leaves the kiddos at home and go out to a movie, dinner, and shopping after Christmas and buy each other gifts then.

labgeek
Black Friday Newbie

Postby labgeek » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:08 pm

I have been lucky and for the last 7 years have gotten a generous Christmas bonus the day before Thanksgiving, so I get to splurge on the kids. But, this is my last year for that bonus since I am leaving my job for one that will allow me more time with my kids. I don't know the exact number of gifts, but I am sure it's overboard.

I have a great time spoiling my kids. I don't spend on myself so I can my kids. I probably spend about $500 per kid. Usually one big gift from Santa and then other stuff. Then we get them a gift together from us (this year it is great seats to Jeff Dunham, which is my son's fave comedian).

reyreysmom
Black Friday Pro

Postby reyreysmom » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:05 am

i spend between 400 and 500 on my daughter.

heatherbade
Black Friday Pro

Postby heatherbade » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 pm

We generally spend about 500-700 on each kid only cuz they don't get anything during the year except for b-days, etc. unless they work for it. If they want $$$ they gotta work it off.

when my dd9 was about 5 a friend asked her to the movies and she said she couldn't afford it cuz she was to tired to work. :lol: yeah we let her go.

harleygirl6363
Black Friday Pro

Postby harleygirl6363 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:18 am

My immediate family does a gift exchange with a limit of $40 and an ornament exchange with a limit of $20. My extended family does an exchange of an ornament with a limit of $20. I am fortunate not to have any children of my own so its just me and my man and we have no limits on that. We each make a list of any and everything we can think of that we want and the other picks the items they want to get them!! HEHEHE I do already have $500 set aside for Black Friday which he doesnt know about but will obviously benefit him!!

Return to “Off Topic”