Question about Digital SLR's

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

altajoe
Black Friday Pro

Postby altajoe » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Here's another question: Are their any P&S cameras that have a quick trigger and image stabilization?

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:17 pm

altajoe wrote:Here's another question: Are their any P&S cameras that have a quick trigger and image stabilization?

I like this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3 ... 720&sr=8-2
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

robb01
Black Friday Pro

Postby robb01 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:55 pm

That one looks really nice, and has great reviews
On the Hunt for Great Deals!

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:47 pm

robb01 wrote:That one looks really nice, and has great reviews

I like taking pictures at concerts and stuff, check out the zoom on it!!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

altajoe
Black Friday Pro

Postby altajoe » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:57 am

Back on point: Any thoughts on where pricing on the DSLR's will go this season?

bakermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bakermom » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:22 am

I recently researched this as well and ended up getting the Nikon D3000. The price and reviews are what sold me. I got it this week at Target for $499 - the same price Best Buy has it on for BF.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:20 am

i'm getting the D3000 for xmas as well. My parents ended up buying it at best buy with the packaged that comes with the camera and 2 lenses, carrying bag and instructional dvd.
target had the same deal this week but it didn't come with a bag so it was about $50 cheaper (the cost of the bag really).
i think my parents were able to get the BF deal through best buy premier rewards special yesterday

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:20 am

packers wrote:I have always been of the opinion that the photographer is what makes the picture, not the camera.

And I have owned both Nikon and Canon and hands down prefer my Canon. To each his/her own.

Haha, I know a lot of people that say that, but actually the photographer can't get anywhere without the right equipment, no matter how well you know how to use a camera.

Base the decision on what you think you'll be photographing. Is it mostly just to play around with? Or do you hope one day to get a little serious about it? What type of things do you 'think' you might photograph? Do you want to do sports? Or just friends/family in the backyard? What you want to do is what goes into making a decision for the camera.

lil_Jean
Black Friday Pro

Postby lil_Jean » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:20 am

packers wrote:I have always been of the opinion that the photographer is what makes the picture, not the camera.

And I have owned both Nikon and Canon and hands down prefer my Canon. To each his/her own.

Yeah for sure! A good photographer can take a good pic with any camera. But the OS of the Nikon still out does the Canon any day. I also like the shutter speed on Nikon vs. Canon.

However on the same topic...slr = more control over your pictures. Well if you use Manual I suppose. You could always use an slr as a point and shoot by using auto all the time. Waste. I photograph bands with a low end Nikon slr and take better photos then those that spend 10's of thousands. It is all in the photographer, but a good cam does help.
The BFAds Oath: On my honour I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to bfads, and to the members of its forum to cause lots of trouble, keeping its admin on their toes, and to the live by its Mischievous Law.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:52 pm

I use the Canon 40D. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. It's a WONDERFUL camera, but it's a bit costly, and now that the 50D has come out, you pretty much have to buy the 40D online from one of the ebay stores... But I am hoping to try and find a backup 40D as soon as the holidays are over.

The Canon Rebel's are nice cameras, lightweight, easy to learn on. They are fast, but I can't remember how many frames per second you can get in. I know I have a Canon Rebel XS I just traded my Olympus stuff in for, and while I like it, it's much slower than the 40D --- Take about 6-8 shots and it slows down so the memory card can catch up. I do a lot with fast moving objects, objects who don't like to stand still and I need several shots of said object, so... I need something fast, but with good quality. I believe shooting in JPEG mode on my 40D, I can get around 59 shots in before it stops to catch up. And there have been circumstances where that was BARELY good enough LOL But overall I never have to get to that point.
6/8 vs 59 images... :) That is the ONLY reason I have decided I want to sell my Rebel XS.
The XS does well in low lighting as well. I've used it indoors at a recent horse sale with my long lens on it, and it did pretty decent! By that I am comparing it to the 40D and the Olympus I used to have.

Example:
Olympus E-500 September 2008 I either used my 40-150mm or 70-300mm lens, hand held no tripod. Both have Fstops very similar, so reguardless which one I used they gave similar results
http://finalturngallery.com/g2/main.php ... +colt2.jpg

September 2009 Canon 40D with 70-200f2.8 lens - image stabilizer, hand held - no tripod.. The lighting in that place is HORRIBLE. Anyway, same sales pavillion.
http://www.foaltrack.com/Images/Foal/68 ... 5slide.jpg

The 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens is AWESOME, and most pros who use Canon use it or the 70-300. It's costly, but I need it for the things I am doing - that is why in my last post I suggested figuring out exactly what you want to do. The lens will make the picture, the camera body is just along for the ride. BUT how your camera handles high ISO settings in low light can be an issue. The photos above were shot with ISO 1600.
For the shots above, and even at concerts, you want something with a very low Fstop. The lower the fstop, the better it is in low lighting situations. For example, if I were using my 24-105mm F4 lens with the same shutter speed/ISO settings as the 70-200mm lens, I would NEVER get shots like this - they would be MUCH darker.
You get what you pay for. But that's okay, if your not trying to be a pro, then get what you can afford, and try to find a nice all around lens so you don't have to keep changing your lenses <letting in less dust>. But be LEARY of how low the Fstop # falls. I recommend something that would start no higher than F2.5. Because unless it has a fixed aperture, the more you zoom out the higher the Fstop number will go. On an F3.5-5.0 lens if you are not zoomed out, the lowest you can go is F3.5. If you are completely zoomed out the lowest you can go would be F5.0 - and that means you have to lower your shutter speed, and raise your ISO <higher ISO can be more grainy looking>, if your doing photos of people moving around on a stage, your going to get some blur with a slower shutter speed.

With the fixed Fstop <aperture>, example my 70-200mm f2.8 IS lens - I can zoom in and out BUT my fstop will stay at F2.8 or whatever I want to set it at. So when I zoom out, the fstop never changes. Same with my other lens.

I hope this makes sense? and sorry to go on, I tend to get ahead of myself on these topics LOL
But I've learned a lot over the last 2 years about cameras <or think I have anyway!>. I taught myself to shoot in manual mode on my Olympus E-500 but it took a whole year before I was brave enough to get out of auto or the other creative modes! Now I always shoot in manual mode. Manual is VERY challenging, but if you read up on it, and get the will to learn it's a LOT of fun, and your images tend to come out better than what the camera's auto settings come up with.

lil_Jean
Black Friday Pro

Postby lil_Jean » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:40 pm

With a Nikon D40, low end slr, you can still get really good photos in low lighting. I mean yeah a better lens would be idea, but if you aren't looking to put a whole lot of money into it, Nikon will do the trick. With the Rebel, I have found you need more lenses to get the same thing you get with the Nikon stock lens. So bottom line, you get what you pay for. Rebels tend to be cheaper but you will need more. Nikons are a bit more pricey but you are getting quality. It really kind of is similar to a PC vs. MAC debate. Good luck!
The BFAds Oath: On my honour I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to bfads, and to the members of its forum to cause lots of trouble, keeping its admin on their toes, and to the live by its Mischievous Law.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:55 pm

lil_Jean wrote:With a Nikon D40, low end slr, you can still get really good photos in low lighting. I mean yeah a better lens would be idea, but if you aren't looking to put a whole lot of money into it, Nikon will do the trick. With the Rebel, I have found you need more lenses to get the same thing you get with the Nikon stock lens. So bottom line, you get what you pay for. Rebels tend to be cheaper but you will need more. Nikons are a bit more pricey but you are getting quality. It really kind of is similar to a PC vs. MAC debate. Good luck!

What do you mean you need to get more lenses for Canon compared to Nikon? I've never heard that before.
When it comes to Nikon and Canon they are very comparable, both have many options are both at the top of their class, and it all comes down to personal preference.
Go to a camera store pick up a Canon, pick up a Nikon. Ask the store clerk to give you similar models of each brand. Compare. Which one is more comfortable to hold? Which one has easier buttons/settings to use?
Preference is what it comes down to.

franjesca
Black Friday Pro

best deals out there on nikons

Postby franjesca » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Just was browsing and thought id let you guys in on an awesome site for digitals its called deltacamera.com and they have beat just about ony other price ive seen on nikons and canons

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:00 am

Be CAREFUL of Grey Market Camera Equipment from websites...they must state that it has a USA WARRANTY. I haven't check out Delta Camera -- but when they are beating the good major players in the market, it makes me think they may be selling grey market stuff. The big sellers will tell you whether it is grey market in the description (example: B&H).

The good retailers I have personally done business with over the last 15+ years professional shooting:

Cameta Camera

Samy's Camera

Abe's of Maine

B&H Photo Video

Adorama

Dealt with all of these folks (in order of preference I might ad) and they all know their stuff. Good luck!

altajoe
Black Friday Pro

Postby altajoe » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:38 am

Bought the D3000 at B&H for $449. Thanks for all the input.

Return to “Off Topic”