Question about Digital SLR's

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

altajoe
Black Friday Pro

Question about Digital SLR's

Postby altajoe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm thinking about a very basic, entry level digital SLR. I do NOT need the latest and greatest. Price is the biggest key folowed by some version of Image Stabilization.

Any thoughts on what may be out there as we get close to BF???

bogart
Black Friday Pro

Postby bogart » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:42 pm

Want a used one?

I've got a Nikon D60 with an autofocus 18-200mm Tamron lens (plus case and other filters and such that I don't know anything about) that I'd sell for $450.

I bought it for a trip to Yellowstone this summer and haven't used it since. Took about 1000 pictures with it.

I don't know diddly squat about photography, and have no need for a camera this powerful.

altajoe
Black Friday Pro

Postby altajoe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:50 pm

bogart wrote:Want a used one?

I've got a Nikon D60 with an autofocus 18-200mm Tamron lens (plus case and other filters and such that I don't know anything about) that I'd sell for $450.

I bought it for a trip to Yellowstone this summer and haven't used it since. Took about 1000 pictures with it.

I don't know diddly squat about photography, and have no need for a camera this powerful.

Love to, but it will be a X-mas gift for my niece. Pretty much relegates me to new.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:44 pm

I have the D60 as well, and it's a GREAT camera. You can't go wrong when it comes to either Nikon or Canon. They're the best 2 manufacturers on the market in my opinion.

If you're just looking for stabalization, here's a great Canon that does good, as if you're looking at entry level, you probably don't need an SLR. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Stabilizati ... 606&sr=8-5
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

altajoe
Black Friday Pro

Postby altajoe » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:53 am

teknoge3k wrote:

I have the D60 as well, and it's a GREAT camera. You can't go wrong when it comes to either Nikon or Canon. They're the best 2 manufacturers on the market in my opinion.

If you're just looking for stabalization, here's a great Canon that does good, as if you're looking at entry level, you probably don't need an SLR. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Stabilizati ... 606&sr=8-5

Actually I do. My niece has a shake that really requires the SLR body. It's more the grip/stance/weight. Point and clicks just don't work for her. She does great with my D70, so....

mggoodman
Black Friday Newbie

Postby mggoodman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:02 am

In regards to the digital SLRs, I would definitely go with the Canon Rebel or a Nikon model. They are pricey, but last year we went to scout out our BF products the night before thanksgiving and we ended up getting a display Rebel for $230.00. They have to make room for the latest and greatest, so always check out the displays. The Rebel has amazingclarity compared to a regular point and shoot and the automatic shot is your best friend. Good luck shoppping!

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:03 am

I am going to buy this on BF, primarily because of the built in zoom, but it also has the VR stabilization and looks to be an awesome camera, especially for the price.

http://bfads.net/Nikon-Coolpix-L100-Dig ... aples-Link

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:12 pm

As a pro shooter I would have to highly recommend the Nikon D40 -- lightweight, yet a substantial piece of camera equipment. You can get a kit configured any number of ways and the D40 has a bunch of features that the more expensive professional D series has for a much lower price. I have a pro shooter friend who uses a D40 as his back-up camera (think travel mags and National Geographic quality shots).

I have made numerous purchases from this authorized dealer: http://www.cameta.com

lil_Jean
Black Friday Pro

Postby lil_Jean » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Nikon..Nikon..Nikon..Don't listen the Canon people. They've never had a Nikon. I shoot pro too!

Nevermind there isn't any Canon people in here.

I have a Nikon D40 and take good shots. Check out my blog www.wakingupjean.blogspot.com
The BFAds Oath: On my honour I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to bfads, and to the members of its forum to cause lots of trouble, keeping its admin on their toes, and to the live by its Mischievous Law.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:49 am

I think we all agree, Nikon wins! I wasn't downing Canon, just saying they made a great camera as well but nothing in comparison to Nikon.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

acey38
Black Friday Newbie

Nikon Digital SLR Camera

Postby acey38 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi!

So I'm hoping to find a reasonably priced/reduced Nikon Digital SLR camera - preferably a D60 because its what I am most familiar with. I was wondering which stores I should go to to find the best deals on Black Friday... or even a D60 camera for that matter!

If you have any ideas let me know.

Thanks soo much.

- A.

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 pm

The best deals on Nikon and Canon DSLR's will most likely be online.

Try the biggies:

Sammy's Camera
Cameta Camera
B&H Photo
Adorama
Abe's of Maine

I've purchased equipment from all of these places and their service is always first rate.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Nikon Digital SLR Camera

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 pm

acey38 wrote:Hi!

So I'm hoping to find a reasonably priced/reduced Nikon Digital SLR camera - preferably a D60 because its what I am most familiar with. I was wondering which stores I should go to to find the best deals on Black Friday... or even a D60 camera for that matter!

Thanks soo much.

- A.

Not sure about BF, but I bought mine from Amazon and got a pretty sweet deal. I have a D40, not a D60 tho.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

acey38
Black Friday Newbie

Re: Nikon Digital SLR Camera

Postby acey38 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
acey38 wrote:Hi!

Thanks soo much.

- A.

Not sure about BF, but I bought mine from Amazon and got a pretty sweet deal. I have a D40, not a D60 tho.

Yeah, I looked at D40s also... I just really LOVE the d60s. Im keeping Amazon in mind though for BF though! I haven't really seen too many deals on SLRs in the ads... just point and shoots.

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:37 pm

I have always been of the opinion that the photographer is what makes the picture, not the camera.

And I have owned both Nikon and Canon and hands down prefer my Canon. To each his/her own.

Return to “Off Topic”