What do you buy a 14-year-old boy?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

What do you buy a 14-year-old boy?

Postby carmenslackey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:28 am

My nephew is 14 and has outgrown just about everything that I can think of. My problem is, I don't have a clue as to what to buy him for the holidays. My brother is covering clothes and skateboarding gear, so he hasn't been much of a help in figuring out what to get him. A gift card/certificate is always an option, but it seems too impersonal for a family member. My parents used to buy us $100 GCs for the mall when we were younger and we loved that, but I think it would be strange for him.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

melblack
Black Friday Pro

Postby melblack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:07 am

I actually know the answer to this one. I have a ten year old son and a 15 yr old daughter and both are into anything electronical and have been for quite some time. Try one of the following:
1. Cell phone
2. Flat screen tv (BF deal)
3. I pod
4. game system or games

anything of that nature. Also, this year they are yelling mini laptop. All kids love the internet and this is a great way to keep them off your computer plus there is suppose to be a great deal on them this year. If they are going to run around $120 dollars this year I plan on buying one for each of my kids and one for myself.
Just send out a few ideas to him and see how he responds. I hope this helped and if I think of anything else I will let you know.

ANGWife
Black Friday Pro

Postby ANGWife » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:21 am

What about a gift card to something more specific? Like to the movies? Or to a video game store?

melblack
Black Friday Pro

Postby melblack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:53 am

That is a great idea also. My bunch started yelling gift cards and then they started wanting cash for the day after christmas sales. I guess it doesn't matter as long as they can spend it. Kids are not like they use to be, it is so much more difficult now.

melblack
Black Friday Pro

Postby melblack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:56 am

I don't know if you have one where you are but we have a store here called Game Stop and they can get games and movies and anything to do with game systems. Pretty cool place for teens and husbands.

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:30 am

If he's into any kind of sports teams...maybe tickets to a game and an official game jersey...gear?

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:32 am

We do have a Game Stop here, but he's not into gaming at all, unless you count the old dinosaur systems. He's a little quirky for being a teen. He usually picks one or two things he likes and sticks to it. Right now, he's into skateboarding and old game systems (like atari and the original NES). Since he has practically every game for these systems (thanks to the storage from his dad and I), even looking on ebay for a few games is pointless. The skateboarding thing is being taken care of by his parents for xmas.

The suggestions about the cell phone and TV were great, but he's not my kid and I do have my own to buy for as well. We usually try to keep presents for each other's kids between $20 and $50, or else we'd end up completely broke from the 7 kids we all have to buy for. The older ones are easy, as well as the younger, but he's just one of those kids that are hard to buy for. Last year was simple because he was into building model cars and stuff. Now he doesn't do that anymore, so I'm at a loss.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! If I can't figure out something soon, I'll probably just get him a gift card to a specific store he likes or something. Thanks again for the help! :)

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:35 am

cddd wrote:If he's into any kind of sports teams...maybe tickets to a game and an official game jersey...gear?

This is an awesome idea! But I live in the middle of nowhere so tickets to a game would be a moot point. The official jersey would fall within our spending limits though, so I'll have to call my bro and find out who he likes since I have no clue.

Thank you!!!

kenziekinz09
Black Friday Pro

Postby kenziekinz09 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:35 am

If he's into old game systems you can try Hot Topic. They usually have t-shirts. buttons, etc from older video games and tv shows
Tek for weird uncle! TEAM SISTER WIVES 8)
My Disney Blog- http://www.kenziewdwcp.blogspot.com/

heatherbade
Black Friday Pro

Postby heatherbade » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:35 pm

we give our son g/c and cash cuz that is all he wants. I don't think it is impersonal; its better than getting him something that he doesn't want. Add a card with it saying you don't want this to look impersonal, but you can get exactly what you want.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Red Ryder BB Gun

barrett76
Black Friday Pro

Postby barrett76 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:05 pm

How about a guitar and someone else can get him guitar lessons.

chaddenise
Black Friday Pro

Postby chaddenise » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:14 pm

sounds like a tough kid to buy for. My only suggestion would be passes to the local movie theater, or one of those funky wallets with a little cash in it?

wolvesgod
Black Friday Pro

Postby wolvesgod » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:04 pm

16 year old girl.

Barring that a gift card is always a good option as others suggested. Can be used for anything. Some people I know think its impersonal but I disagree. I would rather get what I want then have to return something or act like I like it when I have no idea why they got it. If anybody did want to get a cell phone for him or if anybody is looking for a nice cheap cell phone, I would recomend Walmarts new line. The phones range in price but start cheap and you put a card on it like a tracphone. They have two plans right now. 30 dollars for 1000/minutes/text and 30mb of data or, 45 for unlimited minutes/text/data. They piggy back on Verizon so the coverage is really good.

sereinahehman@yahoo.com
Black Friday Newbie

Postby sereinahehman@yahoo.com » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:29 am

I have a 13 yr. old. Believe it or not he loves those silly little finger boards from Tech deck. He always seems to have one on him and they make neat little miniature skate parks and stuff for them which are usually under 20 bucks. Even my husband liked them 20 yrs. ago as a senior in highschool. Plus if he is into skateboarding i know around here the kids collect them and trade them like trading cards. Just a thought. Even if he doesn't use them, they have models of the pro-skaters boards and we have found neat display cases for them, so you can collect them and hang them up too.

Return to “Off Topic”