Which retailers will give a credit card to ANYONE?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: lwmjr, teknoge3k, ikey2, hiker

ryns_mommy
Black Friday Newbie

Which retailers will give a credit card to ANYONE?

Postby ryns_mommy » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:28 pm

And I don't want to hear about how credit is bad...I know it is!
We have had a hard year and I just had knee surgery, so I am out of work for a little while. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Also, we will get a check mid-February that will pay off Christmas debt.

Anyway, does anyone know which retailers will give a credit card to just about anyone? It doesn't have to be a Visa or Discover...a store credit card would be fine.

hays4cat
Black Friday Pro

Postby hays4cat » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:14 pm

Walmart? A lot of dept. stores used to have instant credit with a major credit card and may still, I'm not sure. Good luck though, I understand.
WARNING!!!!! I am trained in the art of combat shopping!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:23 am

i think if you have poor or little to no credit you might be out of luck. at least with little to no credit. my friend tried for years and years to get any store card she got offered and constantly got turned down because she didn't have enough credit built up. but after about 5 years she was finally able to get one.

do you get any credit card offers in the mail that say you're preapproved?? that may be your best bet. or maybe try your bank to see if they have their own credit card.

jediknight
Black Friday Pro

Postby jediknight » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:21 pm

I know that dept stores, JCPenny, Macys, Sears most people do not have a problem. When I worked at Macys it was a PRIORITY to get credit card applications and we would find anyway for people to get the credit - especially since these stores have special discounts when you open the cards.

Toys R Us has a card and I agree that Walmart would be able to - but make sure that you are up to date on payments. I heard they have a reputation for not messing around.

I do hope you feel better and if you pay everything back in February, you will be fine.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:47 pm

I am NOT endorsing this website and know NOTHING about it - but this may help you out..

http://www.newhorizon.org/Info/unsecured.htm

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:46 pm

I know people who don't even work that have gotten a Wal Mart or Best Buy card.

Just be careful, if you keep applying and getting turned down that does show on your credit rating. Companies have cracked down on credit cards and are starting to turn people down who were preapproved because they are tightening their credit belts. I work with this guy who has very good credit and he applied for a pre-approved zero interest card and was turned down. When he asked why, the customer service rep told him that they sent all those offers out before the big financial crisis and they are turning down most people because they don't want the risk.

redkel
Black Friday Pro

Postby redkel » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:44 pm

Packers makes a GREAT point. Applying for several lines of credit all at once is NOT GOOD for your credit score. If your credit is not so good and you struggle right now, then getting more credit is not the answer.

You can get debt relief if you have lost a job, been on disability or had an illness. There are a ton of credit counseling services that can reduce your payments or eliminate them for a period of time until you are back on your feet. A friend of mine used one through his bank when he had back surgery and was unable to work for a few months. His bank even let him only pay 1/2 of his mortgage for that time period because his disability wouldn't cover everything. They want you to be proactive about it, instead of waiting until you are 4 months behind before asking for help.

There are ways to make it work -- partial utility payment plans, short term social security supplemental income, etc.

Of course I don't know your particular situation, but my family has been through many lean Christmases together and we survived just fine. I wish you the best of luck and hope your surgery went well and you're on the way to recovery.

robb01
Black Friday Pro

Postby robb01 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:33 pm

It will probably be alot tougher in the current economy
On the Hunt for Great Deals!

dogbert103
Black Friday Amateur

Postby dogbert103 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:28 pm

I don't know Amazon's credit approval process, but Amazon.com has started a program this year for credit cards and a "pay it later" program, so it may be worth a look, since you can get everything on earth through Amazon.com with discounted prices and often free shipping.

mrubino
Black Friday Pro

Postby mrubino » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:38 am

I destroyed my credit when I was 19, and to start off my rebuilding I went to walmart. They practically handed me my approval before I'd even finished the application. This was a couple years ago, so who knows how different it is with things the way they are these days.

IIRC, didn't walmart run a 0% for 12 or 18 months for purchases over $200 deal last holiday season?

But again, who knows how things will play out this year with everything spiraling down the commode

babiee2481
Black Friday Pro

Postby babiee2481 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:59 am

Maybe hard to get a card this year due to the credit crunch. I had bb card with like a 1500 limit. I have good credit, not great but good and when I went to reopen it. I was denied. Good Luck with that.

Return to “Off Topic”