Did you ever get "the last one"?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

sweetdiggity
Black Friday Pro

Did you ever get "the last one"?

Postby sweetdiggity » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:42 pm

Black Friday, 2006. I went to Target not needing much. But I had my heart set on getting a 512 mb memory card for only $7.97. I was a sophmore Black Friday shopper, so I didn't think I needed to be there the minute the doors opened. (I've since learned my lesson!) I got there 5 minutes after it opened, and went right to the electronics section....only to find an empty shelf where the memory cards once were. :cry:

I just couldn't believe they could be gone already so I asked an employee if they had some anywhere else. He said a guy was giving the rest out at the service desk near the electronics. I ran right over to him, and asked for one. He said, "lucky you! You got the last one!" I was SO thrilled. Meanwhile, there was a huge crowd of people right by me, swearing because there was no more memory cards. The poor guy was surrounded! LOL!

What a close call!
So, anyone else ever get lucky and get the last one? What was it?

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:13 pm

Not me, but my wife tells me back on the early 1980's when 'Cabbage Patch' dolls were all the craze and people would kill for them, her aunt played the diving game to get one for her for Christmas and got the last one. No thanks to the fighting!

BrianMDPhD
Black Friday Pro

Postby BrianMDPhD » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:17 pm

I remember getting the last two PATA hard drives at CompUSA, but then put them back. Good thing too because a year later everyone switched to SATA, and besides, I couldn't really afford it. :(

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:09 pm

few years back...they had flash drives at staples and we got the last 2.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

Brittney19
Black Friday Amateur

Postby Brittney19 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:27 pm

Last year at Toys R Us, they had MP3 players on sale for $9.99. I got the last one AND it was the color that I wanted! Talk about lucky!

tobinsky
Black Friday Pro

Postby tobinsky » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:10 pm

Last year at Best Buy I could have had the last Toshiba notebbok, but we didn't need it and gave it to the lady behind us.

The Zach101
Black Friday Pro

Postby The Zach101 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:15 pm

2 years ago I had planed to go to Bestbuy, but see the thing is I was somewhat a beginner and didnt think the line at Best buy would be 40+ at 5 PM the day before so my hopes for a new HP laptop and LCD screen were shot. We decided to go to circuit city and try to scavange some things there and we were 3rd in line by the time we got there! So we planned on getting the HP laptop there even though it was 200 dollars more then i was planning to spend, When the doors opened we got the laptop ofcourse but i was still out of luck on a monitor. The last store we hit was Target and in the electronics section I found some LCD Monitors and they had 3 but you needed a ticket to get one. We asked the lady behind the desk if it was possible for us to get one and she said after 10 AM if thy were still there we could get one without a ticket and so we went home and I fell asleep accidentaly and woke at 10 30....we rushed to Target and they had one left that I grabed and walked out of the store with it :D (after paying ofcourse)

zim05
Black Friday Pro

Postby zim05 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:49 am

Last year my sister got the last Guitar Hero for PS2 w/two controllers at Target. We originally got the second to last one but someone basically ripped it from us. She broke a shelf in her haste to get it...

wclark48
Black Friday Pro

Postby wclark48 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Last year at Best Buy I got the last GPS unit that they had for their BF special. Needed/wanted it and scored!!!! :D

mommybambi
Black Friday Pro

Postby mommybambi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:08 pm

I wanted a crank lantern from Kohls last year but by the time I found the dispay a couple of women had just grabbed about 5 of them and they were gone. As I headed to the end of the monstrous line with another item, I found a lantern someone else had dumped off while waiting in line. This happens often that people grab items in the mad rush and then decide they don't want/need/or can afford the item and leave it elsewhere. Keep your eyes peeled. My sister got the last Zune at TRU last year with the help of one of her linemates who made sure she got one in the mad rush at the electronics counter.

thenuke1
Black Friday Pro

Postby thenuke1 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:42 pm

i cant stress this enough lol

im always about 15th -25th in line and theres always enough of everything... the only things we have problems with and then we think the store runs out of is when they put like the door busters in front ... sometimes you miss a few things

jebiford29
Black Friday Amateur

Postby jebiford29 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Last year, I had to go to Walmart for God knows what on BF at around 7:30pm. After I was done getting whatever it was I had to brave that insane place for, I went back to the electronics department to see if they had any of their 20" LCD's left for $199 (yeah right). As I was sifting through a shopping cart full of leftover 8" LCD Photo displays and portable DVD players, I saw the TV in its box behind the counter. I asked the cashier what the story was with it. She told me "someone is holding it until 8pm. They gave me $50 to hold it, but I told them I could only hold it until 8." I replied with "It's 8:04. I guess it's my lucky day. Wrap it up. I'll take it." She gave it to me right then and I felt like I had just STOLEN something. What a sweet feeling that was.
Last edited by jebiford29 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:19 pm

jebiford29 wrote: She told me "someone is holding it until 8pm. They gave me $50 to hold it, but I told them I could only hold it until 8." I replied with "It's 8:04. I guess it's my lucky day. Wrap it up. I'll take it." She gave it to me right then and I felt like I had just STOLEN something. What a sweet feeling that was.

Isn't holding merchandise like this against corporate policy?

jebiford29
Black Friday Amateur

Postby jebiford29 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:21 pm

guitarist19862005 wrote:
jebiford29 wrote: She told me "someone is holding it until 8pm. They gave me $50 to hold it, but I told them I could only hold it until 8." I replied with "It's 8:04. I guess it's my lucky day. Wrap it up. I'll take it." She gave it to me right then and I felt like I had just STOLEN something. What a sweet feeling that was.

Isn't holding merchandise like this against corporate policy?

That's what I thought. That's probably why she handed it over so willingly. Truth be told, she probably was holding it for herself or a friend and didn't want to get into trouble if I made a stink about her holding it for someone. Nonetheless, I am not complaining!

TakenAback
Black Friday Pro

Postby TakenAback » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:50 am

It's happened MANY times, but the most memorable one was years ago when I grabbed the last APEX DVD player @ CUSA, got it price matched to CC AND got a cash in hand rebate (!!!) since there was a 5-hour time window to submit online and no one would have made it home in time at that point. Ended up costing about $20 total.

I'm just sorry I didn't play the lotto that day, I was so fortunate....

Return to “Off Topic”