*BF Preperation Essentials*

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

AshFrash
Black Friday Pro

Postby AshFrash » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:56 pm

cmac1337 wrote:haha. yea roughin it ain't our style...we live by the mottos: "We Do It In Style" and "Grow Nuts or Go Home".

granted alot of what we're going to have is ridiculous, its stil fun. lol. we're more about the anticipation and the campin and the excitement then we are about the actual deals. lol.

It sounds like a lot of fun, and if I didn't have a munchkin, I'd be right out there with you! Lucky for me, the hubby is going to stay home with him that day, so I get to head out before dawn to join in the festivities, but no camping for moi!

Take some photos, document your camping experience--I'd love to see how it turns out!

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:59 pm

we're gonna post a video blog starting in october (including interviews with the BB manager and a few employees) and also we plan on making a documentary (much like the guy from the "Rants and Raves" topic forum) and start that from arrival to departure.
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

KMAKKSMOM
Black Friday Pro

Postby KMAKKSMOM » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:18 pm

This year a good friend of mine is going to stand in line and get some stuff for me, I have 4 girls and since I added a baby boy this year, I can't camp out :(

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:16 pm

shelter/quarters:
sleeping bag
air mattress
tent (never used it, but prepared just in case of untimely cold/rain)
blue tarp (utility, can be shelter, ground cloth, make shift bathroom, etc)
lounge chair(s)

clothing:
shorts (about daily wear for me)
long pants
2 t shirts
fleece top
nylon shell
2 pair socks
comfy shoes/trainers
sunglasses
hat
gloves (mechanix style, good for random utility use that might arise, and can provide warmth if needed)

caloric ingestion:
sandwiches
chips, dip
water
tea
soda
maybe some, ahem, adult beverages.
granola bars

we have line crew and support crew, and live close enough to somebodys house that its easy for support people to bring us down some great TG dinner. those who are dealing with Jack in the Box are quite jealous.

tech:
lappy/power supply
evdo modem
ipod
external speakers
ipod cable
usb cable
mini usb cable
phone/charger
inverters (multiple for use in different vehicles as needed)
12V/usb adapters
power cords/splitters
digital camera
web cam (might do a broadcast this year)
printer (make updated plans/routes)
some other stuff that Im not thinking of right now

utility/other stuff:
550 cord
duct tape
leatherman tool
paper/pens/sharpies
ads/magazines/books
jumper cables
plastic bags (typical shopping bags as well as trash bags)
toiletry kit

might bring a generator this year, but i really do hate the noise and carbon impact of them.

this is just what I can think of right now, have the master list at home.

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:18 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:Well, this will be the first year with my Wifi Car. So everyone in the line will have access to free wifi. Also if any of you want to see what the line is like here in Miami, Florida my car has webcam that will be pointed at the line. Viewers can also pan/tilt or zoom the camers from the webpage.

TheWiFiCar.com

Mike, very cool concept. what set up do you use for this? what service provider, hardware, etc. ?

VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:51 am

Eat up good for energy.
Tons of energy drink.
Work out like rambo in prep.
A buddy shield for protection against crazy mobs.
A hug-able buddy for warmth
Snatch everything even if you don't want it just to piss others off.
Enjoy.

thevioletbutterfly
Black Friday Newbie

My Idea

Postby thevioletbutterfly » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:13 am

I don't think anyone mentioned a blanket. I would opt for a blanket rather than a gas generator (with gas so pricey and gas generators so noisy). Plus, blankets are romantic when you have a friend to share them with.

TakenAback
Black Friday Pro

Postby TakenAback » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:00 am

Coffee/Tea/Energy drinks = diuretics = bathroom = still thirsty guy behind you gets the TV. ;)

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:06 pm

TakenAback wrote:Coffee/Tea/Energy drinks = diuretics = bathroom = still thirsty guy behind you gets the TV. ;)

thats why their's strength in numbers :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

TakenAback
Black Friday Pro

Postby TakenAback » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:28 pm

cmac1337 wrote:
TakenAback wrote:Coffee/Tea/Energy drinks = diuretics = bathroom = still thirsty guy behind you gets the TV. ;)

thats why their's strength in numbers :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Unless you share DNA with them, don't count on them.....and even then. :twisted:

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:18 pm

cambo357 wrote:
MikesTooLz wrote:Well, this will be the first year with my Wifi Car. So everyone in the line will have access to free wifi. Also if any of you want to see what the line is like here in Miami, Florida my car has webcam that will be pointed at the line. Viewers can also pan/tilt or zoom the camers from the webpage.

TheWiFiCar.com

Mike, very cool concept. what set up do you use for this? what service provider, hardware, etc. ?

for service, I have 3G USB aircard from Verizon with unlimited upload/download per month. (warning: Verizon no longer offers the unlimited data plan for air cards after a lawsuit, however if you already had the unlimited plan you still get unlimited data usage).

The setup, I have a 12volt Deep Cycle battery in the trunk of my car (inside a battery box). I connected a solar panel with a meeter to the battery, this way it charges durring the day but also wont get over charged. Then I have a 400watt power inverter that is connected to the battery. The power inverter powers my wireless router along with the webcam. The wireless router I have allows me to plug a laptop or USB card directly into it for internet and then shares the internet with anyone who connects to the wireless network. As for mounting the webcam, all I did was put the webcam on one of those cheap $5 mini tripods and then push the tripod down inbetween the crack of the two back seats. The camera was purchased at bestbuy for $199 (Panasonic - Wired Network Video Camera). Its a network camera so all you have to do is plug it into the router, no computer required. You cant get cheaper network cameras than this one but I got this one since it also does sound and allows the viewers to move the camera directly on the website.

It dosnt require much to setup and if you put it all together nicely it wont take up much space either. However getting one of the routers that allows aircards to be connected for internet may be a little hard to find, best bet would be to buy one online. Those type of routers cost more than ragular routers as well. The monthly bill im paying for the verizon wireless internet is around $60/month.

If you look at my site right now its probably showing a view of my back yard. I had to remove it from my car to free up space while I haul some supply's from storage for halloween.
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

Jaric
Black Friday Pro

Postby Jaric » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:26 pm

I've been debating on if I want to do the same thing Mike. My mom-in-law has Clearwire and she's already said that I could snag it for that day if I wanted to, I've got a router that I could easily setup to provide free wifi to people in line.

For what we plan on bringing, if we go out this year:

Tent
Sleeping bag
Propane portable heater
Eats
Portable DVD player
Laptop
iPhone

Every year we've been out there people are pretty nice about one person leaving to use the restroom and getting their spot back so I'm not to worried about that. Just as long as we have at least one person to stay behind with our stuff.

cambo357
Black Friday Pro

Postby cambo357 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:28 pm

yeah, I was peeping your yard and and a sweet bike earlier.

I also have a USB aircard from VZW, and am on the same plan (pre bandwidth cap/$60 month). cable and DSL are both unavailable at home, so this is what I went with. it has been decent, and with some tweaks to the settings on my lappy, have gotten some great throughput. 1.2mb/s is avg, and at work have hit over 3mb/s.

which router are you using? almost all the ones I have found use pc card or express card modems, and not the USB ones, or not my version of the USB modem (720U). having one at home would make life easier for me and the gf. sure, we have 3 lappys but only one modem....

I love the idea of having a VAN (Vehicular Area Network, lol), even if not for public use. and the solar idea on it is awesome.

how is the clarity of it when looking out the window, any distortion?

Return to “Off Topic”