Ghosts of Scavenger Hunts Past

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

SavannahSparkles
Black Friday Pro

Ghosts of Scavenger Hunts Past

Postby SavannahSparkles » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Maybe this only happens to me, but I feel haunted by items from past scavenger hunts.

Some examples:
2016 Moon Pie and RC Cola
You have no idea how much time and effort I spent searching for these two items. I would have had better luck finding a narwhal riding a unicorn on a rainbow!! We went to countless grocery stores, some hours away from my home and came up with neither of them. The scavenger hunt ended, 6 months went by and I was making a quick grocery stop at the store DOWN THE STREET FROM MY HOUSE, when lo and behold--they now carry RC Cola and Moon Pies :roll:

2017 El Camino and 2018 Woody Jeep Wagoneer are other great examples. While I was lucky enough to find both for the actual hunt, I spent many, many hours and traveled great distances to find them. I SWEAR I see them on the streets in my town at least once a month since then.

Share your experiences with your Scavenger Hunt Ghosts here. Bonus Points* if you include pictures to show your agony!

*Bonus Points are for nothing, because I don't have that kind of power :)
The best I can give you is a fake smile and dead eyes.

It’s one thing not to want something; it’s another to be told you can’t have it.

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Re: Ghosts of Scavenger Hunts Past

Postby justhangingout528 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:11 am

Hahaha! You're looking for the hunt already. :)

The vehicles were issues with me too. The first year there was that woody station wagon. Used a woody PT cruiser in its place. Just after the hunt I found one that's parked at a house nearby. Last year I drove somewhere I'd normally never go to get a guaranteed picture with that Wagoneer (after trying to find local possibilities). ...A few days later I went to an estate sale in my own town. Came out and one's parked just ahead of me on the street. :evil: I've seen quite of few of those since then, too. Oy.

That reel-to-reel in 2017. Spent a lot of time and effort going to various museums/thrift stores in search of one. Finally found one at one of the last places to check. Sometime later I found out my MIL actually had one in her storage unit and it would have taken just a few minutes to get a picture with it. :shock:

SavannahSparkles
Black Friday Pro

Postby SavannahSparkles » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:31 am

Hahaha! You're looking for the hunt already. :)

The vehicles were issues with me too. The first year there was that woody station wagon. Used a woody PT cruiser in its place. Just after the hunt I found one that's parked at a house nearby. Last year I drove somewhere I'd normally never go to get a guaranteed picture with that Wagoneer (after trying to find local possibilities). ...A few days later I went to an estate sale in my own town. Came out and one's parked just ahead of me on the street. :evil: I've seen quite of few of those since then, too. Oy.

That reel-to-reel in 2017. Spent a lot of time and effort going to various museums/thrift stores in search of one. Finally found one at one of the last places to check. Sometime later I found out my MIL actually had one in her storage unit and it would have taken just a few minutes to get a picture with it. :shock:
haha I'm ALWAYS looking for the hunt! Fun fact: Sometimes I take pics with things throughout the year that I think are weird or on a hunch justtttt in case they are on the list that year! Another fun fact: This has yet to work out in my favor :lol:

Ughhhh that reel-to-reel was a thorn in my side too! Went to so many places before I found one. Turned out to be at a flea market 1 mile from my house :evil:

It’s one thing not to want something; it’s another to be told you can’t have it.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 pm

haha I'm ALWAYS looking for the hunt! Fun fact: Sometimes I take pics with things throughout the year that I think are weird or on a hunch justtttt in case they are on the list that year! Another fun fact: This has yet to work out in my favor :lol:
Do you take the picture with multiple signs? ("Bfads.net 2019”, "Bfads.net 2020”, "Bfads.net 2021”, etc?) :P

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:10 am

Do you take the picture with multiple signs? ("Bfads.net 2019”, "Bfads.net 2020”, "Bfads.net 2021”, etc?) :P
Great,now you're going to create a monster. :lol:

SavannahSparkles
Black Friday Pro

Postby SavannahSparkles » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:20 am

Great,now you're going to create a monster. :lol:
:shock: OMGOODNESS. I have literally NEVER thought of doing that :!: I realllllllyyyyy hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the butt hahaha

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

Postby wwefk » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:39 pm

This is totally a THING!
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)
Wrapping up packages and writing out cards
(Office work, out of sight!)

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:14 pm

I used to do that, but then realized the hunts usually didn't have the exact same item more than 1 year in a row.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:06 pm

I used to do that, but then realized the hunts usually didn't have the exact same item more than 1 year in a row.
She said weird items. So, items that haven't necessarily been on the list before but could be on a future list - not repeats. :)

SavannahSparkles
Black Friday Pro

Postby SavannahSparkles » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:05 am

Careful guys--I feel like we may be shooting ourselves in the foot with this--they may just include past list items this year now to torture us hahaha

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:26 am

I don't think we're going to do any BF shopping this year(we just bought our 3rd house so we're a little strapped for cash) so I'm actually planning on doing the scavenger hunt this year. Should be fun from what I see on here every year. ;)

Ryman
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ryman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:34 pm

I didn't participate the year I saw it on the list, but one year there was a wood paneled station wagon on the list and I remember feeling bad for everyone trying to find one; just for fun I spent all of November and a good chunk of December keeping my eyes peeled for one (finally ran into one at the mall in late December, but what good does that do anyone at that point lol).

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:32 am

Careful guys--I feel like we may be shooting ourselves in the foot with this--they may just include past list items this year now to torture us hahaha
SHHHHH!

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:32 am

I don't think we're going to do any BF shopping this year(we just bought our 3rd house so we're a little strapped for cash) so I'm actually planning on doing the scavenger hunt this year. Should be fun from what I see on here every year. ;)
Yes! Do it! It's a blast! The more the merrier!

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am

yeah, I gave up last year......maybe this year I'll try again....but I sure look at things differently throughout the year!!!

Return to “Off Topic”