TCL Roku TV

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

TCL Roku TV

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 pm

On Black Friday, I went to Costco to buy a television. There weren't any especially on sale, so I ended up just buying a TCL Roku TV which I now somewhat regret.

It is functional, the picture is fine, and the price was good for a 4K HDR UHD TV of its size. However, a Roku TV is more of a "Roku device with a TV attached" rather than a regular television with Roku capabilities. The television needs a Roku account associated with it before it can be used at all. Without a Roku account, you can't even use it to watch DVDs on an attached DVD player. The remote control is overly simplistic (no number pad), so to browse channels you need to use the up/down keys. There is no CC Closed Captioning button to enable it on the fly (you can either set it on or off permanently in the settings). The TV doesn't have the capability of manually selecting 4:3 or 16:9, so I am stuck with having my old 4:3 DVDs play stretched out at the wrong aspect ratio. Otherwise, the TV works fine.

However, the next time I buy a television, I think I will just play the extra money to get a Samsung. The one Samsung TV I saw did not have inputs for component cables (red, white, yellow), and I have legacy devices that need it, which disqualified the Samsung. But, the next time I need to buy a television I probably will need just HDMI-only, so that won't be an issue in the future.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Re: TCL Roku TV

Postby lwmjr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:15 am

Shopper X wrote:On Black Friday, I went to Costco to buy a television. There weren't any especially on sale, so I ended up just buying a TCL Roku TV which I now somewhat regret.

It is functional, the picture is fine, and the price was good for a 4K HDR UHD TV of its size. However, a Roku TV is more of a "Roku device with a TV attached" rather than a regular television with Roku capabilities. The television needs a Roku account associated with it before it can be used at all. Without a Roku account, you can't even use it to watch DVDs on an attached DVD player. The remote control is overly simplistic (no number pad), so to browse channels you need to use the up/down keys. There is no CC Closed Captioning button to enable it on the fly (you can either set it on or off permanently in the settings). The TV doesn't have the capability of manually selecting 4:3 or 16:9, so I am stuck with having my old 4:3 DVDs play stretched out at the wrong aspect ratio. Otherwise, the TV works fine.

However, the next time I buy a television, I think I will just play the extra money to get a Samsung. The one Samsung TV I saw did not have inputs for component cables (red, white, yellow), and I have legacy devices that need it, which disqualified the Samsung. But, the next time I need to buy a television I probably will need just HDMI-only, so that won't be an issue in the future.

Maybe you should have checked BFAds, before making your purchase :mrgreen:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Shopper X wrote:On Black Friday, I went to Costco to buy a television. There weren't any especially on sale, so I ended up just buying a TCL Roku TV which I now somewhat regret.

There are adapters you can get to convert the component to HDMI.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:55 pm

I love my Samsung TVs but your right the newer ones lack any old connections. I have retro gaming consoles I like to play so I’ve started looking into LGs which have more in the way of component and composite connections and more available HDMI ports as well...

If you really hate the TV from Costco you should be able to return it.

Return to “Off Topic”