Did you buy your turkey yet

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Re: Did you buy your turkey yet

Postby tinytim35 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:38 pm

got one at Aldi for .89/lb Butterball so not bad price. more excited to make the turkey noodle soup with the turkey bones :)

Rainman693
Black Friday Pro

Postby Rainman693 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:27 pm

tinytim35 wrote:got one at Aldi for .89/lb Butterball so not bad price. more excited to make the turkey noodle soup with the turkey bones :)

Kroger was/is .37/lb, limit 2, with additional $25 purchase. Which is no problem, You can always find some good deals

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Postby CrazyTrain » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:32 pm

DH said we didn;t have ot have turkey this year!!! :D :D :D :D :D I think we are going to do a roast. So excited. I hate turkey.

kevin55
Black Friday Newbie

Postby kevin55 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:02 am

We have bough ours just yesterday :)

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 am

Got mine for .27/lb with no minimum purchase nor limit so I got 4 and gifted 3.

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:27 am

We got ours frozen 2 weeks ago. But we have to get another to donate and then some ham.....ham is always a big hit with our family

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:05 am

Got my free turkey from my employer yesterday, 23 pound Butterball. Not hosting any family meal this year and my girl friend & I are both working next weekend so I dunno what I'm going to do with it. Probably freeze it til Christmas, when the kiddo comes home.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 pm

bought another one today, put it in the fridge to start thawing, I'll leave the other ones in the freezer for Christmas and one for some time next year. because you never know when you feel like a good turkey dinner :lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:33 pm

I just saw something about a Jennie O turkey recall. I think it was just ground turkey though.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:08 am

I am now starting to consider buying a whole turkey to cook for Thanksgiving. But, if I do, I will have to act fast. Otherwise, the frozen turkey won't thaw out in time.

shopmom30
Black Friday Pro

Postby shopmom30 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:12 am

We never buy a turkey because the people in my family perfer ham. After all these years I still never get the right size ham. Either it's enough to feed a couple armys and we are eating it for weeks or it's just enough and everyone is sad there is no left overs. I have to say though, it's kind of scary hearing about a turkey recall at Thanksgiving.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Okay, BFAds folk. You inspired me to actually buy a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. I just got back from Trader Joe's with the fresh turkey, pre-made cranberry relish, frozen mashed potatoes, box of pre-made turkey gravy, and a box of cornbread stuffing mix.

The turkey was larger than I wanted, 13.60 pounds, but it was almost entirely thawed already and I had an epiphany! There's no reason why I need to roast the entire turkey whole. Instead, I can cut the turkey into pieces, roast the parts I want (drumsticks and thighs) for Thanksgiving dinner, turn the breasts into boneless skinless breasts, portion and freeze them, freeze anything else I don't want to use right away, turn the carcass into turkey stock, freeze that as well if desired, and voila! No unwanted leftovers!

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 pm

Shopper X wrote:Okay, BFAds folk. You inspired me to actually buy a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. I just got back from Trader Joe's with the fresh turkey, pre-made cranberry relish, frozen mashed potatoes, box of pre-made turkey gravy, and a box of cornbread stuffing mix.

The turkey was larger than I wanted, 13.60 pounds, but it was almost entirely thawed already and I had an epiphany! There's no reason why I need to roast the entire turkey whole. Instead, I can cut the turkey into pieces, roast the parts I want (drumsticks and thighs) for Thanksgiving dinner, turn the breasts into boneless skinless breasts, portion and freeze them, freeze anything else I don't want to use right away, turn the carcass into turkey stock, freeze that as well if desired, and voila! No unwanted leftovers!

I hope everything turns out well for you :)
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

Rainman693
Black Friday Pro

Postby Rainman693 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:32 am

Shopper X wrote:Okay, BFAds folk. You inspired me to actually buy a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner. I just got back from Trader Joe's with the fresh turkey, pre-made cranberry relish, frozen mashed potatoes, box of pre-made turkey gravy, and a box of cornbread stuffing mix.

You gotta have some turkey :)

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:51 pm

FYI, you all have inspired me to cook the turkey the traditional way: whole roast turkey. I went out today and bought a disposable foil pan. The turkey is now sitting in the pan in my refrigerator, drying out the skin in preparation for tomorrow's bake.

(I poached and ate the giblets today.)

Return to “Off Topic”