Black Friday Pro

Did you buy your turkey yet

Postby Rainman693 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:16 am

For those of you that have a Thanksgiving dinner, dis you get your turkey

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Re: Did you buy your turkey yet

Postby guitarist19862005 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:41 am

I bought ours yesterday, but we are cooking for my in-laws this weekend. So, we're always a little early for Thanksgiving.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:19 am

We got ours a week ago
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am

I'm not sure if I'm getting a whole turkey this year. I now have a full-size oven so I could. However, I still don't know whether I want that much bird.

I am also thinking of eating out for Thanksgiving. I've always wanted to try it, and this year might be a good opportunity to do so.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:28 am

Shopper X wrote:I'm not sure if I'm getting a whole turkey this year. I now have a full-size oven so I could. However, I still don't know whether I want that much bird.

I am also thinking of eating out for Thanksgiving. I've always wanted to try it, and this year might be a good opportunity to do so.

You can freeze any leftovers, the breasts freeze well,
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:50 am

lwmjr wrote:You can freeze any leftovers, the breasts freeze well,

I tried that one year. It didn't work well for me.

I had the bright idea of portioning leftovers into individual Thanksgiving dinner plates and freezing them. That way I would be able to enjoy turkey dinners later in the year. I was so clever!

But, then the leftovers sat in my freezer, month after month after month. The seasons passed. Winter turned into Spring. Spring turned into Summer and then Autumn.

Eventually almost a year passed. It was November again. Just one or two weeks until the next Thanksgiving. But still, last year's leftovers sat in my freezer!

I was stuck! I couldn't have this year's Thanksgiving dinner when last year's Thanksgiving dinner was still around, waiting to be eaten. So, in a panic, I tried to consume my backlog of last year's frozen Thanksgiving dinners in the week leading up to Thanksgiving. It was awful!

Ever since that year, I have tried to avoid cooking a Thanksgiving meal that would result in many leftovers, and I have tried to avoid freezing Thanksgiving leftovers.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Shopper X wrote:

I had the bright idea of portioning leftovers into individual Thanksgiving dinner plates and freezing them. That way I would be able to enjoy turkey dinners later in the year. I was so clever!

But, then the leftovers sat in my freezer, month after month after month. The seasons passed. Winter turned into Spring. Spring turned into Summer and then Autumn.

Eventually almost a year passed. It was November again. Just one or two weeks until the next Thanksgiving. But still, last year's leftovers sat in my freezer!

I was stuck! I couldn't have this year's Thanksgiving dinner when last year's Thanksgiving dinner was still around, waiting to be eaten. So, in a panic, I tried to consume my backlog of last year's frozen Thanksgiving dinners in the week leading up to Thanksgiving. It was awful!

Ever since that year, I have tried to avoid cooking a Thanksgiving meal that would result in many leftovers, and I have tried to avoid freezing Thanksgiving leftovers.

:lol: I hear a lot of folks go out to eat. I know there would be a few nice places that are open

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:03 pm

I bought mine the first week of the month and it has been thawing in the fridge since Sunday. Our turkey day is always on the Wednesday evening prior due to hubby working on Thanksgiving and the kiddo doesn't come home from college until next Tuesday.

I could kiss our local grocery store this year. Normally, you have to earn 400 points to get a free turkey (1 point = $1 spent) and you can only earn one free one no matter how many points you get. This year, if you earned 100 points, you could get your turkey for 25 cents a pound, or a name brand for 75 cents per pound, or a spiral ham for 49 cents a pound, or a boneless ham for 99 cents per pound, or one of those party-sized frozen lasagna for 98 cents. I got a turkey, a spiral ham and a boneless ham for under $20, then sold the remainder of my points to my brother (he insisted on paying me, I wouldn't have charged him) for $10 and he got 3 of the lasagna, a turkey and 2 hams, plus some other groceries for about $25.

What an awesome way to save money for the holiday dinners!

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:23 pm

Last year we didn't have our chest freezer early enough (my husband decided we should get one like 4 days before Thanksgiving or something), and I had no room in our regular freezer on our side-by-side fridge to buy one sooner. Because of that I had to wait until I needed it in the fridge to thaw, waited till the last minute, and ended up getting the one of last of two off-brand turkeys they had available - and I think by then they were full price! Since I do have that chest freezer now, I wanted to make sure I got to pick from a bunch of them and take advantage of the good sales, so it's been in there almost a week now.

The other store had good deals on all the other goodies (cranberry sauce, stuffing, etc) last week so I picked that stuff up too.

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Shopper X wrote:

You can just freeze it as "shredded turkey" and then use it for quick meals later on. Bags of about 3 cups are a good size (for a family of 3 or 4) for you to throw into soups, make BBQ sandwiches (kind of like pulled pork sandwiches, but with turkey), throw into casseroles, etc.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:43 pm

If by turkey you mean pre-stuffed Cornish hen, no :)

I used to do that. I live alone so even a small turkey is too much (and I don't think I would know how to cook it anyway). I think I skipped it last year as eating a whole cooked bird tends to get messy...

Ryman
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ryman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 pm

No, I will be tomorrow or Friday... Thanksgiving snuck up on me this year! Someone told me this is the earliest it can possibly be, so maybe that's why. Either way I'm normally way more prepared than this :shock: but this year I'm just barely going to have time to finish everything...I shouldn't even be here posting, I have so much to do

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:56 pm

We eat on Saturday since we're busy shopping Thursday and Friday. My wife got her a small one she can cook in the Crock-Pot this morning. I ordered me a ham. :D
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

fosterfamily2011
Black Friday Pro

Postby fosterfamily2011 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:10 pm

We have 3 (my husband gets one from work every year, my aunt bought us one cause she's a nut and thought she got a good deal lol, and I bought one I couldn't pass up for .37 cents a pound). Thank goodness we are a large family and my husband's family comes here for thanksgiving so that's like 20 something people.

Irishmaire
Black Friday Pro

Postby Irishmaire » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:22 pm

I usually pick one up the Friday before Thanksgiving. If you spend so much money at the grocery store, then you get a free turkey. This year, I got it early. The store was so peaceful on Monday when I was doing grocery shopping. The thought of coming back later in the week and dealing with the frenzy of getting my free turkey made me decide to pick it up then. However, I had to rearrange the freezer when I got home so I could fit it in there until the weekend. I'll take it out on Saturday and let it defrost in the refrigerator after I make room in there too.

Return to “Off Topic”