Sheets & Towels

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

llamagrl
Black Friday Pro

Sheets & Towels

Postby llamagrl » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:23 pm

I think I remember reading on the site that a lot of people thought JCPenney had the best towels but Kohls has the better sheets (price v quality). I couldn’t find it in his search so now I’m going to ask... is there a certain brand of towels at JCPenney that are better than others? I have to get both for my son for college next year and would like to get some on black Friday.

Thanks in advance!

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Re: Sheets & Towels

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:02 pm

llamagrl wrote:I think I remember reading on the site that a lot of people thought JCPenney had the best towels but Kohls has the better sheets (price v quality). I couldn’t find it in his search so now I’m going to ask... is there a certain brand of towels at JCPenney that are better than others? I have to get both for my son for college next year and would like to get some on black Friday.

Thanks in advance!

I remember a discussion last year about quick dry towels - take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=34416&start=58

Earlier on that thread someone also gave their opinion of the ranking of Kohl's towels.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:17 pm

Here's another forum post from 2014 about Black Friday towels, but I think that the one jeanerz posted might be the one you were looking for.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=31895

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:10 am

I loooooooove JCP quick-dry towels! I have so many. I didn't see them in the JCP ad this year though but maybe I missed them.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:46 pm

bfaddict wrote:I loooooooove JCP quick-dry towels! I have so many. I didn't see them in the JCP ad this year though but maybe I missed them.

Page 14 - upper left corner

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:
bfaddict wrote:I loooooooove JCP quick-dry towels! I have so many. I didn't see them in the JCP ad this year though but maybe I missed them.

Page 14 - upper left corner

ah-ha! the "home tribal" threw me off as i glanced at that page the first time.
Their hand towels are usually on sale too, I should probably buy more of those since I have more than enough bath towels.

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:36 pm

my favorite sheets have been from Walmart. I prefer the high thread count to the microfiber ones. My son loves the microfiber sheets as they keep him warmer. I go back & forth between JCP & Kohls for the washcloths, they both have very good ones.

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:05 pm

Our JCP closed a few years ago and it's like finding a needle in a haystack for towels and sheets at our Kohl's.

Some advice from a college mom - don't buy a ton of towels and sheets for your child for college and don't spend a fortune. I bought my son towels, washcloths and hand towels for $2 each (or per pack) at Target last year. He's been using them and washing them all semester and has not had a problem. As far as sheets, make sure of the size. Most dorms are twin XL. We also got his sheets at Target on clearance right around this time last year (early November). If you can find mattress protectors for cheap, get them now before they Jack the prices up next spring/summer. Most colleges are making the kids get the mattress protectors now due to the increase in bed bug populations across the country. And buy the $7 pillows at Wal-Mart. They're comfy and don't get unbearably flat.

Also, I'm not sure of your child's major, but stock up on those $5 thumb drives that Wal-Mart sells on BF. I bought my kiddo 6 last BF for college this year, and he's going shopping with me when he's home for turkey day to buy more lol.

And one last thing - unless your child has a proclivity for actual blankets/comforters, I suggest a sleeping bag instead. My son says taking his sleeping bag that rolls up neatly and takes up very little space versus an actual bulky blanket helps a ton when he and his roommate have friends over for their gaming tournaments and movie binges.

Best of luck and if you happen to need any other advice on college stuff, feel free to PM me. :D

llamagrl
Black Friday Pro

Postby llamagrl » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:56 pm

carmenslackey wrote:Our JCP closed a few years ago and it's like finding a needle in a haystack for towels and sheets at our Kohl's.

Some advice from a college mom - don't buy a ton of towels and sheets for your child for college and don't spend a fortune. I bought my son towels, washcloths and hand towels for $2 each (or per pack) at Target last year. He's been using them and washing them all semester and has not had a problem. As far as sheets, make sure of the size. Most dorms are twin XL. We also got his sheets at Target on clearance right around this time last year (early November). If you can find mattress protectors for cheap, get them now before they Jack the prices up next spring/summer. Most colleges are making the kids get the mattress protectors now due to the increase in bed bug populations across the country. And buy the $7 pillows at Wal-Mart. They're comfy and don't get unbearably flat.

Also, I'm not sure of your child's major, but stock up on those $5 thumb drives that Wal-Mart sells on BF. I bought my kiddo 6 last BF for college this year, and he's going shopping with me when he's home for turkey day to buy more lol.

And one last thing - unless your child has a proclivity for actual blankets/comforters, I suggest a sleeping bag instead. My son says taking his sleeping bag that rolls up neatly and takes up very little space versus an actual bulky blanket helps a ton when he and his roommate have friends over for their gaming tournaments and movie binges.

Best of luck and if you happen to need any other advice on college stuff, feel free to PM me. :D

Thank you for the advice...especially about the mattress cover. I’ll have to look for those in the ads. :D

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:35 am

in my experience the cheap microfiber sheets you'll find at JCP and Kohls are very soft, almost silky feeling, but very thin. I have a bunch and I like them but you can tell they aren't quite top quality.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:55 am

bfaddict wrote:in my experience the cheap microfiber sheets you'll find at JCP and Kohls are very soft, almost silky feeling, but very thin. I have a bunch and I like them but you can tell they aren't quite top quality.

I like the cuddlduds flannel ones I got last year at Kohl's. I had another flannel set that I think I got from jcp, but it didn't hold up as well, and I think it was thinner.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:05 am

Is there anyone else like me who prefers thin, chintzy bath towels? I like them because they are lightweight and dry faster. I don't like having heavy, wet towels lying around the house, and I find using thick, luxury bath towels (like the ones I encounter in hotels) to feel weird.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:19 am

The best towels I've gotten were some Tommy Hilfiger towels a few years ago. They're not too thick but not thin either. They're so soft!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:25 am

Shopper X wrote:Is there anyone else like me who prefers thin, chintzy bath towels? I like them because they are lightweight and dry faster. I don't like having heavy, wet towels lying around the house, and I find using thick, luxury bath towels (like the ones I encounter in hotels) to feel weird.

I've never used a hotel towel I really liked. I think it may be something about how they wash them (or how many times they've been washed). They're never really soft. That said, I don't like the thin towels - the ones I have I only use when I wash my dog (or need to block a leak). I haven't bought towels in a long time - seriously, they seem to last forever - so I'm not sure what line they are. Pretty sure they were from JCP though.

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:32 pm

I bought a couple "The Big One" towels from Kohls last year and they are fine for me. They aren't thick and dreamy, but for the price, they have held up quite nice.

Return to “Off Topic”