Looking for a new modem/router - need help

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Looking for a new modem/router - need help

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:44 am

I think i want to look into upgrading my router and/or modem during black friday - just not sure what i should be looking for?
I'd like something powerful enough for my entire house and reach outside to my patio - my house is about 950 sq (upper main living area).
And I think they now make combo modem/routers? Is that correct? Is it worth it to buy something like that?

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Looking for a new modem/router - need help

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 am

I have a Linksys EA8300 and it's been a great router, especially for how much network traffic I have. I have about 30 things running on my network currently and it handles everything great.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Max-Stre ... ref=sr_1_2
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm so used to buying cheap to just get by.... lol I think I spent maybe $60 or less on my current router - which has lasted many years so not a bad purchase by any means... I think I'm just ready to start investing into quality things.

So that one is just the router itself, correct? I'm honestly surprised my modem hasn't taken a dump yet either... It's from the internet company and I think i've had it over 10 years.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:52 pm

Yes, it's just the router. We don't have a modem. We don't need one. It's a quality router, definitely not an el-cheapo that you'd run out to Dollar General and get.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:10 pm

How do you get by without a modem?

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:44 pm

@bfaddict, you might want to post both your existing modem and router make/model numbers so we have an idea about what you currently have.

It could be that a cable modem upgrade might also make sense. It depends on what internet speed you are signed up for now, what increased speeds you might possibly want to get in the future, and whether your current modem is limiting the quality of your internet service now or if it might limit it in the future.

It sounds as if for your home size, a good, single router might work well (though there are other factors like the layout and what materials the building is made from). Does your current router signal reach everywhere you want it to reach?

The advantages of a combo modem/router is that you have just one device to take care of, and the one device is usually less expensive than two separate devices. The disadvantages of a combo unit is that you are limited to what types are available, and you cannot upgrade them separately for customized situations.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:26 pm

bfaddict wrote:How do you get by without a modem?

Not every Internet service provider requires a modem. Some come directly into the house and plug directly into the router.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:28 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
bfaddict wrote:How do you get by without a modem?

Not every Internet service provider requires a modem. Some come directly into the house and plug directly into the router.

interesting....

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:26 pm

bfaddict wrote:I'm honestly surprised my modem hasn't taken a dump yet either... It's from the internet company and I think i've had it over 10 years.

So are you renting the modem from your internet provider? If you're having issues with it they should exchange it for you. If you just want your own instead of theirs, make sure you aren't getting charged a modem rental fee after you return theirs. I have Mediacom and have always had my own modem. A few years ago, they changed billing to list things out and I saw "modem rental: $5". I was like, "whoa, have I been charged to use my own equipment this whole time and I just didn't know it?". Anyway, it took going into the office to convince them it was my equipment and remove the fee (guy on the phone didn't believe me and seemed to think I didn't know the difference between a modem and router). Sorry, went on a little rant tangent there.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:39 am

jeanerz13 wrote:
bfaddict wrote:I'm honestly surprised my modem hasn't taken a dump yet either... It's from the internet company and I think i've had it over 10 years.

So are you renting the modem from your internet provider? If you're having issues with it they should exchange it for you. If you just want your own instead of theirs, make sure you aren't getting charged a modem rental fee after you return theirs. I have Mediacom and have always had my own modem. A few years ago, they changed billing to list things out and I saw "modem rental: $5". I was like, "whoa, have I been charged to use my own equipment this whole time and I just didn't know it?". Anyway, it took going into the office to convince them it was my equipment and remove the fee (guy on the phone didn't believe me and seemed to think I didn't know the difference between a modem and router). Sorry, went on a little rant tangent there.

no, no problem with my modem - which is really surprising. I was just considering getting rid of theirs (I also have Mediacom) and upgrading to a combo modem/router. I live really close to their service center so I usually go there instead of trying to talk to them on the phone. They used to have a really great message board tech forum that you could use too but apparently that got changed and no longer works the same. I actually still have one of those digital converter boxes they gave away years ago that they charged like $1/month for. I no longer am charged that fee so I never took it back since I switched to DirecTv years ago but I keep it around just in case they want to try and charge me a fee when I move and have to get rid of their service completely for a little while lol

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 am

Think about how many wifi devices you'll want to use. Then incorporate how often you want to stream in the evening and how densely populated your street and neighborhood are since they'll be online most evenings. Finally, budget which speed tier your using or want to use and buy for the future.

An Arris SB8200 is a 3.1 ready (and around$150) modem for now and the future. Some BF discounted products have under performed and undersold.

I'm looking to upgrade m y system and a mid range system is only as good as the line to the house from the Node. I'd also look at what kind of networking cable is under the house. Cat 5 is okay and 6 & 6A are superior in performance and price. Monoprice is my go to site for cable.

I also looked at which modems my ISP supported since they will be the best options for future performance.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:02 pm

It's only me and I don't stream a whole lot, except during the summer when I watch big brother live feeds. But my DVR is hooked up to wifi because I couldn't put my modem/router next to my tv.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:44 pm

For the sake of general discussion Motorola makes quality modems. You can find them for 60-90 bucks at most online and typical brick and mortar outlets.

Linksys is hit or miss with quality routers and they are affordable. Netgear makes better routers. Their Nighthawk series is superior in every ($) way.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:33 am

bfaddict wrote:I think i want to look into upgrading my router and/or modem during black friday - just not sure what i should be looking for?
I'd like something powerful enough for my entire house and reach outside to my patio - my house is about 950 sq (upper main living area).
And I think they now make combo modem/routers? Is that correct? Is it worth it to buy something like that?

I noticed Amazon has a sale on "PC components" today (think it's part of their 12 deals of Christmas thing or whatever). Anyway, saw a few routers in there. Didn't look closely, butthey probably have modems too. I don't know if you already got what you needed, but thought I'd share just in case. First one I saw was a Netgear Nighthawk (series Vols mentioned).

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Todays hot deal at Staples is the nighthawk AC2100 for $80
https://www.bfads.net/Hot-Deals/Deal/Ne ... 0/92572/go
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

Return to “Off Topic”