BFAds Black Friday 2018 Scavenger Hunt (Discussion Thread)

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Re: BFAds Black Friday 2018 Scavenger Hunt (Discussion Thread)

Postby justhangingout528 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:28 pm

bmedeiros wrote:
justhangingout528 wrote:Oh man. Let's not let it get mean-spirited!

My apologies if my tone came across as mean-spirited at all... I should have realized that tone does not come through, even with emoticons. I sincerely meant good natured humor, but I apologize if that didn't come through.

I didn't mean you. :)

jmbohler2
Black Friday Pro

Postby jmbohler2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 pm

bmedeiros wrote:

My apologies if my tone came across as mean-spirited at all... I should have realized that tone does not come through, even with emoticons. I sincerely meant good natured humor, but I apologize if that didn't come through.

I read it as joking so no worries from my end :)

jenmh07
Black Friday Pro

Postby jenmh07 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:36 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:Jenmh07 - I can't figure out how you managed that bottom support card on the far left of your house of cards. It's leaning without another one to lean against. I'm impressed! Was there originally another there but it fell without taking it's partner along with it by some miracle?

I was originally trying to make it big enough to go for 5 levels....then that one card fell but by some miracle none of the rest of them did...so I held my breath and finished the 3 levels and took a pic before they all fell! Otherwise someone was gonna lose an eye because this was at about hour 5 split between 2 nights of trying to build a house of cards :x So short answer, yes it had to have been divine intervention! Lol :mrgreen:

bmedeiros
Black Friday Pro

Postby bmedeiros » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:41 pm

jmbohler2 wrote:
bmedeiros wrote:Clubing - you found the same Zack Morris we did! I was so excited when I found it bc it was our last item and was hoping for it to count ... but then jmbohler had to find the real thing. Pssshh... :wink: :D

Lol! I assumed it had to be the actual phone (after they said it had to be like the meme that got posted) or i would have just ordered that one to get it lol! That one really was not that hard if I had known what to look for! There was a broadcasting/telecommunications museum not far from me... but instead I went to every antique store within like 30 miles of me, and there are A LOT! Lol, lessons learned for next year ;)

I feel you! I can't tell you how many awkward conversations I had with antiques shop owners about the phone before we finally found the collector. I knew early what a Zack Morris phone was, it just took us a while to actually find it. :) I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be unfindable - which is why I was desperately posting trying for the half point. I also thought the triplets were going to be unfindable until you found them, It pushed me to work harder... and whew, talk about an awkward conversation. Having to ask a family to take a picture of their triplet toddlers??

jmbohler2
Black Friday Pro

Postby jmbohler2 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:44 pm

bmedeiros wrote:
jmbohler2 wrote:
bmedeiros wrote:Clubing - you found the same Zack Morris we did! I was so excited when I found it bc it was our last item and was hoping for it to count ... but then jmbohler had to find the real thing. Pssshh... :wink: :D

Lol! I assumed it had to be the actual phone (after they said it had to be like the meme that got posted) or i would have just ordered that one to get it lol! That one really was not that hard if I had known what to look for! There was a broadcasting/telecommunications museum not far from me... but instead I went to every antique store within like 30 miles of me, and there are A LOT! Lol, lessons learned for next year ;)

I feel you! I can't tell you how many awkward conversations I had with antiques shop owners about the phone before we finally found the collector. I knew early what a Zack Morris phone was, it just took us a while to actually find it. :) I'll be honest, I thought it was going to be unfindable - which is why I was desperately posting trying for the half point. I also thought the triplets were going to be unfindable until you found them, It pushed me to work harder... and whew, talk about an awkward conversation. Having to ask a family to take a picture of their triplet toddlers??

I got lucky with the triplets, I went to school with a set of them but haven't talked to them since high school. I'm friends with two of the three on Facebook so I contacted them to see if they'd be willing to take a picture with me and they looped their sister in and it just happened to work out that I was down where they were one day! They joked with me and said I was only the second person to ask them to do this LOL

bmedeiros
Black Friday Pro

Postby bmedeiros » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:49 pm

justhangingout528 wrote:
bmedeiros wrote:

I didn't mean you. :)

Whew... thanks (and thanks to jmbohler for their post). Last thing I would have wanted would be to offend! It's probably embarassing how much I enjoy this hunt - but shucks, I do. I really do. :mrgreen: Hazel and lwmjr, thanks for hosting it again. After rumblings last year, I was afraid it was going to go away. Please never let that happen!

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:00 am

UPDATED, Make sure its correct
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:04 am

bmedeiros wrote:
jmbohler2 wrote:

I knew where to get a Zack Morris phone for sure, but wasn't willing to drive 2+ hours to get there (http://www.savedbythemax.com/ - they have an area with props and stuff, and thanks to a youtube channel I knew for sure they had a Zack Morris phone.) I also saw a couple for sale but couldn't bring myself to ask people if I could meet up just to take a picture with the item they were selling. I tried museums from the start, but couldn't find anything at all locally (within an hour drive or so) that would have one (I found cell phone museums in Europe online!).

One museum I asked at I told the guy I was looking for an "old school cell phone" because he was too young to fully understand "Zack Morris phone" when I told him and he went back to ask the lady and he ended up telling her I was looking for an "antique cell phone" and she came out looking at me like I was stupid and said, "There's no such thing as an antique cell phone." Oy. LOL

twinkie023
Black Friday Pro

Postby twinkie023 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:08 am

YAY!! I made it to 50!!!! My heavens that was hard. I didn’t have nearly as much time to dedicate to it this year but had a blast nonetheless. Congrats to the winners this year, you guys are amazing in being able to find them all!!

twinkie023
Black Friday Pro

Postby twinkie023 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 am

justhangingout528 wrote:
bmedeiros wrote:
jmbohler2 wrote:Lol! I assumed it had to be the actual phone (after they said it had to be like the meme that got posted) or i would have just ordered that one to get it lol! That one really was not that hard if I had known what to look for! There was a broadcasting/telecommunications museum not far from me... but instead I went to every antique store within like 30 miles of me, and there are A LOT! Lol, lessons learned for next year ;)

I knew where to get a Zack Morris phone for sure, but wasn't willing to drive 2+ hours to get there (http://www.savedbythemax.com/ - they have an area with props and stuff, and thanks to a youtube channel I knew for sure they had a Zack Morris phone.) I also saw a couple for sale but couldn't bring myself to ask people if I could meet up just to take a picture with the item they were selling. I tried museums from the start, but couldn't find anything at all locally (within an hour drive or so) that would have one (I found cell phone museums in Europe online!).

One museum I asked at I told the guy I was looking for an "old school cell phone" because he was too young to fully understand "Zack Morris phone" when I told him and he went back to ask the lady and he ended up telling her I was looking for an "antique cell phone" and she came out looking at me like I was stupid and said, "There's no such thing as an antique cell phone." Oy. LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: antique cell phone :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds like my little ones. We don’t have a house phone at our house, just cell phones, so when we went to visit my parents house, my kids were TOTALLY confused by “that thing on the wall with the curly cord” :lol:

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:16 am

lwmjr wrote:UPDATED, Make sure its correct

The half points with words don't figure into the score. It won't matter for my points (in terms of where I place), other than my OCD wanting it to be a nice number, but it might matter for someone else's total.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:20 am

fosterfamily2011 wrote:Man I just saw that. I cant seem to figure out how to make it work. im using flikr for the first time and its clearly "fosterfamily2011 proof". I mean im just in it for the tshirt but darn im disappointed

I see you have 105 Photos on flickr, i am not sure what some of them are suppose to represent, I went by the # items you posted, for the spreadsheet. It would be helpful if you tag some of the pics, FB_IMG_1542077001093, FB_IMG_1542077031384, FB_IMG_1542077028853
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

bmedeiros
Black Friday Pro

Postby bmedeiros » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:21 am

justhangingout528 wrote:
bmedeiros wrote:
jmbohler2 wrote:Lol! I assumed it had to be the actual phone (after they said it had to be like the meme that got posted) or i would have just ordered that one to get it lol! That one really was not that hard if I had known what to look for! There was a broadcasting/telecommunications museum not far from me... but instead I went to every antique store within like 30 miles of me, and there are A LOT! Lol, lessons learned for next year ;)

Um, that Saved By the Max pop up looks awesome! But the antique cellphone.... hahahhaaa! I was shocked how 'easy' it was to find a really old telephone but not the 80's brick-style cellphone. It was bizarre as I would totally pass up these amazing antique phones - and I had to clarify more than once that I mean 1980, not 1880. :P

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 am

justhangingout528 wrote:

The half points with words don't figure into the score. It won't matter for my points (in terms of where I place), other than my OCD wanting it to be a nice number, but it might matter for someone else's total.

Sooooo, I take you want me to just get rid of the half points :?
Or add them together. does 77 sound right

justhangingout528
Black Friday Pro

Postby justhangingout528 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:31 am

lwmjr wrote:
justhangingout528 wrote:

Sooooo, I take you want me to just get rid of the half points :?
Or add them together. does 77 sound right

Haha! You asked! Add. :) Like I said, it doesn't matter much for me, but one or two are in the 90 point range, I think.

Return to “Off Topic”