Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Rainman693
Black Friday Pro

Re: The modern day black friday

Postby Rainman693 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 pm

blue3715 wrote:
wwefk wrote:
fosterfamily2011 wrote:I've now started doing my Christmas shopping other times and just going for fun random things.

Another thing that has changed. Black Friday is less about Christmas shopping and has become "national buy yourself a tv day."

Actually, more tvs are bought in late January (pre superbowl) than in November.

Black friday tvs are mostly deals on last year's model in almost all cases. January deals are largely on the new tvs.

more are actually sold on BF, and who cares if the TV model is a few months old.
The ones that were sold in Jan, were returned in Feb after the Super bowl

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:55 pm

I agree with the kids thing.... and people bringing out their ENTIRE families.

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Postby CrazyTrain » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:26 pm

I miss being up in the middle of the night, quiet streets, waiting with anticipation in the dark, the rush to get the item and get to the other store to get in line before it opened. The strategy. Coming home at 7 a.m. ready for the new day. Now its more like go to the store at 6 p.m. like any other day. Not AS special and thrilling (but still exciting)

chaddenise
Black Friday Pro

Postby chaddenise » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:59 pm

It seems like the last several years , it’s the same stuff over and over! I also miss getting up for the 5am rush and being done by 1pm!

headbanger783
Black Friday Pro

Postby headbanger783 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:33 am

Honestly, when I was a kid.....15 years ago I used to love the 10 pound newspaper with all the ads. I don't subscribe now or even buy a newspaper so its not the same.....maybe I will this year

rachellynn99
Black Friday Pro

Postby rachellynn99 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:28 pm

I miss the "olden days" about 15 years ago when I first got married I would get up super early and my best friend and I would drive to town. The real town that had all the good stores was about 30 minutes away. We would stop and get a starbucks then shop and shop. We would have breakfast at Cracker Barrell then shop some more.

It was really fun. Now 95% of what I get is online which is fine I suppose. Most everything has free shipping and we really never get "large ticket" items like gaming systems or electronics. Sometimes my friend and now our daughters will go to Bath and Body Works on Thanksgiving night, then JC Penny and then have a late night snack or coffee. It's more about socializing though to be honest.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:26 pm

wwefk wrote:
blue3715 wrote:Actually, more tvs are bought in late January (pre superbowl) than in November.

I beg to differ https://www.statista.com/statistics/220 ... -the-us/#0

(Ignore the "dvd player" in the link, it's tv stats)

Though it's true jan has better deals

Maybe it swung back to BF, but I def agree there are better TV deals in Jan because all the electronics stores are focusing on moving TVs for Superbowl hype.

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm

I miss the free gifts for the first people in line. depending on the store, it would be the first 10, or 20 or 50. we would get the paper on Thursday and after dinner plan out our route based on the free gift and opening times. then get up at 4 or 5 am and go get in line.
I'm addicted!

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

Postby barbd00 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:28 am

I think the thing I miss the most, though there are several, is that it used to be only die-hard Black Friday shoppers were out. The new ones and the ones that weren't up for it, might get in the way the first store or two, but after that, it was true shoppers, like myself, who were out for the "hunt" so to speak.

Now, it's just a massive crowd of people who have no idea what they are doing, shopping for groceries, bringing and leaving carts in the aisles, bringing kids (babies!) along in freezing weather, in crowds with hundreds of people with barely enough room to move.

I have learned to avoid certain stores (ahem) until much later due to this.

And, once upon a time, if you snoozed, you lost. The deal were really that good and you had to pick and choose or strategically plan very well. Now, if you don't get it at your first store, you can get it at 10 more. Or wait a week or two and pay $10 more.

I also miss: the late nights/early morning quietness, the hefty newspapers that went hand in hand with strategic planning, the hot beverage enjoyed while you waited in line or en route to the next quick stop. Need a thermos here to make sure it stays hot during the long lines and the long drives between stores.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:54 am

I have noticed the words black Friday are used loosely now. Ie the target early black Friday that was Nov 1st. This whole month we will see tons of pre black Friday deals. So many that by the time real black Friday comes the appeal has lost its charm.
Most of the time pre ads try to ring to the be deals and only offer a handful of items at a good rate. However the newbies just throw a sale of the whole darn store and call it a pre black Friday sale. It doesn't help the young generation differentiate between a real bf deal and soon loses its luster.

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:04 am

Media also doesn't help push the luster buster along. Oh how I miss the days of getting up early and scouring the ads in the paper. I imagine I resembled Ralphie in the bathroom decoding little orphan Annie's secret code of the week. But thanks to the demand and almost need of SM, those days are about over. It started here, our own little secret society. Then others followed. Now the bf ad is blasted on their fb pages the same day that we would have received them. The hunt in the cat and mouse game is over. Leaked bf ads have become mainstream media. So much that those not even hunting or waiting for a certain ad can casually view it. It just stinks..

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 am

Business Insider posted a good photo essay detailing the rise and fall of Black Friday:
https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-black-friday-shopping-history-evolution-2018-11

Irishmaire
Black Friday Pro

Postby Irishmaire » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:40 am

Shopper X wrote:Business Insider posted a good photo essay detailing the rise and fall of Black Friday:
https://www.businessinsider.com/photos-black-friday-shopping-history-evolution-2018-11

That was a really fascinating history. Thanks for posting it. :)

sportymonkey
Black Friday Pro

Postby sportymonkey » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:35 am

I almost forgot the most important one to me. Long are the days of standing in line at Toys R Us. :( :(

BFNerd
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFNerd » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 am

I do miss when I was younger going through the ads with my mom before going out shopping. Then as a teen we would go out as early as we could so we could get good deals since I was older. I miss stores actually opening early on Black Friday instead of Thursday. Now in my 30s,the magic seems to be fading with it starting earlier each year.

Return to “Off Topic”