The modern day black friday

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

The modern day black friday

Postby wwefk » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:37 am

Undoubtedly, we've all notice that black friday has changed in the last 5 years. In "the olden days," stores opened at 6am on Friday and sales only lasted until 1 or 2 pm, so you only had 7-8 hours to hit the stores before black friday was over til next year. That where all the black friday misconceptions come from (fights, trampling, LOOOOONG lines). Now a days, most sales start grey Thursday, with some stores being open all day thanksgiving. A lot of places are open all night and if you shop 12-5am there is no line. So, with all that being said, what is the biggest change you've noticed about modern day black friday? Do you miss anything from the "good ole days?"
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)
Wrapping up packages and writing out cards
(Office work, out of sight!)

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: The modern day black friday

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:50 am

I guess I could say I miss standing outside in the cold for hours freezing but honestly, I don't. It's nice to be inside and warm (although the weather has been warmer as well). We still stand outside in the cold of a morning for some places like Staples and Sam's. I also like the fact that it gives me something to do on Thanksgiving. I've never really cared much for Thanksgiving and now I have something to do. Mainly to escape my wifes grandmothers house. One thing I really dislike about the new trend is the amount of kids that are out. I am not talking about little kids, I know they don't have a choice. I am talking about the teens who just walk around in groups trying to look cool, and just get in everyones way. Nobody wants to be stuck behind a group of loud, slow, obnoxious kids at midnight while we're out trying to shop. Go home and play your Xbox.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

fosterfamily2011
Black Friday Pro

Postby fosterfamily2011 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:14 am

I miss the rush of being there early enough to get the items. It was a race to get to all the items on your list in time. Now there's special lines to wait in, tickets and bracelets, and of course the same items are online. I find the thrill has been lost. But I do get the safety reasoning. I do really miss it being an early morning one day thing. Mostly because I have a lot of kids and don't want to shop multiple days. I've now started doing my Christmas shopping other times and just going for fun random things. I will always be a black Friday shopper but it just doesn't have the same magic!

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

Postby wwefk » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:29 am

teknoge3k wrote: One thing I really dislike about the new trend is the amount of kids that are out. I am not talking about little kids, I know they don't have a choice. I am talking about the teens who just walk around in groups trying to look cool, and just get in everyones way.

RIGHT? also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I hate the "husband stands in line while the wife shops" strat. I think it's cheating. Or, on items that are one per person, the 7 yr old counts as a person. "They have there own form of payment!" (True story) :roll:
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

Postby wwefk » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:31 am

fosterfamily2011 wrote:I've now started doing my Christmas shopping other times and just going for fun random things.

Another thing that has changed. Black Friday is less about Christmas shopping and has become "national buy yourself a tv day."
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:37 pm

wwefk wrote:
fosterfamily2011 wrote:I've now started doing my Christmas shopping other times and just going for fun random things.

Another thing that has changed. Black Friday is less about Christmas shopping and has become "national buy yourself a tv day."

In all fairness, we are always done Christmas shopping by the first of September. Usually we just buy things for ourselves. I think this is the first year that a Christmas item is actually on my BF list. Both of my boys want new Xboxes so I'll be on the hunt for an Xbox One X for my oldest and an Xbox One S for my youngest.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Irishmaire
Black Friday Pro

Postby Irishmaire » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Before the stores opened on Thanksgiving, I would list the best deals, store opening times and store locations. From there, I would plan my shopping strategy. It was like my own personal Black Friday scavenger hunt. :D I got to meet other people while waiting in line and help others out if I could. I was the winner of the Black Friday scavenger hunt if I got the best deal or most wanted item back to my house. :lol:

Nowadays, like others have said, the thrill of the hunt isn't the same. I don't head out on Thanksgiving. However, if there is a hot item that I can snag online on Thanksgiving Day, then I'll order it. I still plan my shopping strategy and get to my first store by 5 am. The stores that opened on Thanksgiving are usually empty and the shelves are sparse. The stores that open at 5 am or 6 am are usually busier. I haven't seen a line waiting for the doors to open in years. People are still friendly but they don't seem frantic. For the most part, the lines aren't long enough to start up a good conversation. Most times I am finished by 10 am. If I can't find what I'm looking for in the stores, I order it online when I get home.

In it's own weird way, I miss getting to a full parking lot just before dawn. The air was cool. The smell of coffee would linger a bit as people walked by with a Dunkin Donuts cup in hand. The tones were hushed excitement. Sometimes you would hear a word of disbelief from a person that they were standing in line in the cold for a kid's gift. When the doors opened, it was a mad dash to whatever it was you wanted most. You grabbed the item and then make another mad dash to the checkout lines in hopes of finding the shortest line.

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Postby shrcpark » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:59 pm

We would and still shop for Christmas items for the family Thursday night/Black Friday. We went out on Black Friday to pick up odds and ends items the family wanted last minute. I really don't miss much.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:01 am

I miss the rush from store to store with the Christmas music blaring. Now, I just sit at home in my PJs on a computer and make my orders. The boxes get shipped to me and I'm stuck dealing with checking my email to see that the orders are actually shipped.

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:30 am

We have multiple family get -togethers on Thursday, so the possibility of shopping isn't there. We still do a more traditional Black Friday. Depending on whats on our list, we will wake up to make sure we're at that stores opening. This obviously doesn't apply to stores like Kohls and Wal-Mart anymore. Personally, I have more fun in the stores on Friday than I would shopping online Thursday. (I'll always order some stuff from Amazon though :) )

drinkgreen
Black Friday Pro

Postby drinkgreen » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 am

Black Friday is something my wife and I do together as a "Date night" type thing. It was a great form of bonding to have us both bundled up under blankets in the cold in line, talking strategy, working as a team to find items in the store, and then taking a break with an early morning IHOP stop when there was no one else there except truckers and the other occasional die hard BFers.

Now, the doors are busted before we have finished our Thanksgiving dinners, the weather has gotten warmer (Thanks Global warming), and EVERYONE is out. Grandmas, kids, etc. Plus the "deals" have sucked more each year.

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

Postby wwefk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm

drinkgreen wrote: Plus the "deals" have sucked more each year.

I think you can chalk that up to black friday being a "thing" now. You still see some :shock: deals, but a lot of it is average sales and the general public (non bargain hunters) don't know the difference. They just assume because it's black friday, it must be a awesome deal!
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:59 pm

wwefk wrote:
drinkgreen wrote: Plus the "deals" have sucked more each year.

I think you can chalk that up to black friday being a "thing" now. You still see some :shock: deals, but a lot of it is average sales and the general public (non bargain hunters) don't know the difference. They just assume because it's black friday, it must be a awesome deal!

I think it could also be because we have sites like this. We are able to compare to last year's ad and the year before that. Before sites like this existed, you just had to guess whether or not it was a good deal and what the price was last year.

Like many things, the internet killed it.

blue3715
Black Friday Pro

Postby blue3715 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:05 pm

wwefk wrote:

Actually, more tvs are bought in late January (pre superbowl) than in November.

Black friday tvs are mostly deals on last year's model in almost all cases. January deals are largely on the new tvs.

P s. You don't need a 4k 75" tv, the lcd are just fine. Your brain cannot see the smaller pixels from over 4 feet away anyways. Try counting grains of sand in a bowl from a yard away....

Instead, go for the best black levels and side angle viewing and antiglare (get a matte screen).

CNET.org has great big tv reviews. You might be surprised what ranks the best. They also tell you how to adjust the color settings to achieve the best picture, and how to turn off the dreaded soap opera effect.

wwefk
Black Friday Pro

Postby wwefk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:02 pm

blue3715 wrote:Actually, more tvs are bought in late January (pre superbowl) than in November.

I beg to differ https://www.statista.com/statistics/220 ... -the-us/#0

(Ignore the "dvd player" in the link, it's tv stats)

Though it's true jan has better deals
Decorating the tree
(Gardening)
Wiring all of the lights
(Electrical contracting)

Return to “Off Topic”