Toys R Us Closing

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

prettyinpink2904
Admin

Toys R Us Closing

Postby prettyinpink2904 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:22 pm

I’m sure you’ve all heard the news about TRU closing by now - crazy how many stores we’ve lost over the years for BF shopping. It was rarely a go to for me but I got some great deals there at other times.

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Re: Toys R Us Closing

Postby shrcpark » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:24 am

My kids LOVED TRU and I LOVED the store as well. Great memories.

Rainman693
Black Friday Pro

Postby Rainman693 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:44 pm

All the good toy stores are closing :(

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:04 am

The crazy thing is KB Toys is looking for make a new run after shutting down stores years ago. They are looking to be open for Black Friday.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/national/kb-toys-aims-to-fill-the-void-of-toys-r-us

Toys "R" Us is on its way out, but KB Toys is set to pop back up.

Strategic Marks, a company that buys and revitalizes defunct brands, owns the KB name and plans to open 1,000 pop-up KB Toys stores for Black Friday and the holiday shopping season.

"My assumption is that there's about half a billion dollars worth of toys that have been produced for Toys "R" Us with no place to go," said Strategic Marks president Ellia Kassoff, in a phone interview with CNNMoney. "That's a big, big void that we're hoping to fill up."

Toys "R" Us, which filed for bankruptcy last year, announced last week that it expects to close all of its 735 stores in the US. Those closures will put 31,000 people out of work and hurt toy manufacturers that depended on the national retailer for distribution.

Kassoff said he's been in contact with Hasbro Inc. and Mattel, Inc. and up to 200 smaller toy suppliers who are looking for new brick and mortar retailers. He said he plans to take advantage of a glut of toy manufacturers that have inventory but no place to sell it.

To get a quick retail footprint, Kassoff said he's working with companies that specialize in holiday and pop-up retail, like Spencer Spirit Holdings Inc., Go! Retail Group, and Party City Holdco Inc.

"We're talking to companies that know how to do it, they have a methodology, they're used to rolling out stuff real quickly," he said.

After the holiday shopping season ends, Kassoff will decide which of the pop-up stores will become permanent, based on their performance and whether he can negotiate a lease.

Strategic Marks bought the KB Toys brand from Bain Capital in 2016. Bain is the same company that bought Toys "R" Us and took it private in 2006, a process that left the toy company saddled with $5.3 billion in debt, from which it never recovered.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Kids today, can't really appreciate a good toy store, They spend too much time with the phones/I pads/xbox////// The joys of sitting on the floor playing with toys, is becoming extinct :(
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 pm

my favorite thing though wasn't the toy store.....we didn't have any real ones around when I was a kid. Favorite thing was the arrival of the Wish Book & all of the Christmas catalogs..................

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Postby shrcpark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:19 am

I use to look through the wish book as a kid and circle all the toys I wanted. Then my parents would get the items I didn't ask for. I had to share with my cousins since they didn't have alot of money. Good book anyway.

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Postby shrcpark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:20 am

My love KB Toys... They will defiantly do well since TRU is gone.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:21 am

It was pretty much a long time coming in my opinion...They were seemingly overpriced, those with small kids could get the same toys at a fraction of the price at the big box stores (walmart, Target and previously kmart) but really kids these days simply aren't interested in playing with toys anymore. They're more into electronics. I'm fortunate that I insisted my daughter grow up with fisher price vs Sony/Microsoft products but our situation is a rarity these days, I'm pretty sure my nephews (5&6) have never played with a toy, I always see them with some handheld electronic gadget in their hand - be it a damn smart phone or a Xbox controller.

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Postby shrcpark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:40 am

cinemike16 wrote:It was pretty much a long time coming in my opinion...They were seemingly overpriced, those with small kids could get the same toys at a fraction of the price at the big box stores (walmart, Target and previously kmart) but really kids these days simply aren't interested in playing with toys anymore. They're more into electronics. I'm fortunate that I insisted my daughter grow up with fisher price vs Sony/Microsoft products but our situation is a rarity these days, I'm pretty sure my nephews (5&6) have never played with a toy, I always see them with some handheld electronic gadget in their hand - be it a damn smart phone or a Xbox controller.

Future Virtual Reality testers! That would bring in some serious bank.

prettyinpink2904
Admin

Postby prettyinpink2904 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Visited our local store yesterday and there was a lot left, but prices were still high at 50-70% off! I did pick up a few blind bags (dumbest things ever, but the kids love them). Other than that maybe I’ll stop by if it hits 90%.

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:50 pm

prettyinpink2904 wrote:Visited our local store yesterday and there was a lot left, but prices were still high at 50-70% off! I did pick up a few blind bags (dumbest things ever, but the kids love them). Other than that maybe I’ll stop by if it hits 90%.

Thought the same thing when stopped at one of my local ones.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

shrcpark
Black Friday Pro

Postby shrcpark » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:52 am

I went into the store 3 weeks ago and it was still loaded with toys and games. ALOT of the good stuff is gone though.

Rainman693
Black Friday Pro

Postby Rainman693 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Haven't been in one in years, but still sad to see it go

Irishmaire
Black Friday Pro

Postby Irishmaire » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Crazy as it may seem, I have good memories of standing in those long winding lines though the side aisles and main aisle to purchase those 6 AM door busters (when the store actually opened at 6 AM on Black Friday). That was about the only time of the year I went there with the exception of the kids getting Toys R Us gift cards.

Return to “Off Topic”