Tipping on 2-go orders

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Re: Tipping on 2-go orders

Postby cinemike16 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:27 am

I cut my own hair, about once every six months or so (I keep my hair short). and don't feel the need to tip myself.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:14 am

@ lovebf....that is not true as I stated i know hairdressers on both ends of the spectrum. The one hairdresser works mon-sat pays a $20 chair fee so $120 since she works 6 days a week. She charges a minimum of $65 just to shampoo your hair. If you want a deep conditioner thats $5 extra, $10 extra if you want your ends clipped. So if you get the max thats $80 bucks and she usually sees 7 people a day. Other services are more. She does well for herself. Yes, she does her taxes every year since she is self employed but she doesn't owe...why....because she has kids.

The other hairdresser i mentioned who has her own shop...this is the one I was out with. She does not pay any utlities at all. All her chairs and stuff was given to her by another shop that closed and her products are over the counter meaning you can buy them yourself at your local beauty store and she charges way more for basic services. So no i am not missing the big picture at all.

@ cinemike :lol: :lol: easiest way to go

@shopper...there is nothing wrong with that at all since you aren't breaking the bank. I am talking more on the lines of the people I mentioned above who still want a tip on top of the high price they charge and yet don't want to tip a server who makes $10 an hr plus tips

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:30 am

[quote="Sparkle2217"]For orders I call in and go pick up myself...no i do not tip because all you are doing is walking it to my car or I am coming inside to pick it up after I have called it in. Sonic is different i tip them

I was a carhop at Sonic back in the day. Even 35 years ago we were paid min wage so tips were a bonus. LOVED working Fri & Sat evenings.....lived at an air base town so the nice drunk airman tipped pretty good after hitting the bars.................... :lol:

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:48 am

tinytim35 wrote:
Sparkle2217 wrote:For orders I call in and go pick up myself...no i do not tip because all you are doing is walking it to my car or I am coming inside to pick it up after I have called it in. Sonic is different i tip them

I was a carhop at Sonic back in the day. Even 35 years ago we were paid min wage so tips were a bonus. LOVED working Fri & Sat evenings.....lived at an air base town so the nice drunk airman tipped pretty good after hitting the bars.................... :lol:

Haaa i grew up military so i know all about the drunk airman. So drunk they would pass out in their cars

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:13 am

lovebf wrote:
bfaddict wrote:
Sparkle2217 wrote:For orders I call in and go pick up myself...no i do not tip because all you are doing is walking it to my car or I am coming inside to pick it up after I have called it in. Sonic is different i tip them

If I am sitting down eating then yes I tip and i tip well

In regards to delivery drivers like pizza i do tip just not as much and sometimes not at all. I worked at pizza hut for 3yrs and our drivers always got an hourly wage plus whatever tips they made from deliveries which could be way more than the other staff.

My question is do you tip your barber/hairdresser on top of what they charge you? For example your hairdresser charged you $50 to do your hair, do you tip on top of that?

I do and pretty well because I'm told you should. I sometimes wonder though about the whole tipping system.
My stylist now has her own salon suite so she's not employed by anyone and I was told from a friend who's mom runs her own salon from her home that when stylists go out on their own they need tips more because they have more expenses to pay. But really... I pay like $45 for a hair cut.. and probably only takes her 30-45 min. So at the very least she's getting paid $45/hr. Which is waaaaaay more than I get paid! And the only stuff that gets used during a hair cut is shampoo and conditioner. Why do I need to tip to help pay for additional expenses like salon rent?

Not even close that they make $45 an hour (or even more). When you go to work, you have an hourly rate you get paid and basic taxes get taken out. They get paid ONLY when they work and they have to pay into taxes and they have to pay the light bill, chair bill, rent bill, phone bill, ALL the tools they use (which is not cheap), ALL the products they use.....blah blah......you think they are still making $45 and hour? No. You continue to make your wage, they do not. You both are not looking at the big picture and do not understand what is behind any of this. Just a small FYI

But why do their customers need to be responsible for tipping extra to pay their expenses?? AND all of those expenses they can write off on their taxes so that it lowers their income and they pay lower taxes. Charge me $55 and tell me to not leave a tip, I'd be ok with that. But instead I'm charged $45 and expected to give a 20-30% tip or look like an ass.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:15 am

Sparkle2217 wrote:The other hairdresser i mentioned who has her own shop...this is the one I was out with. She does not pay any utlities at all. All her chairs and stuff was given to her by another shop that closed and her products are over the counter meaning you can buy them yourself at your local beauty store and she charges way more for basic services. So no i am not missing the big picture at all.

plus if they have a license they can get all their product and supplies at minimum, half price than retail.

my friend's mom got me some really expenses shampoo and condition one year for $15 each for the liter bottles :D

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:29 am

bfaddict wrote:
Sparkle2217 wrote:The other hairdresser i mentioned who has her own shop...this is the one I was out with. She does not pay any utlities at all. All her chairs and stuff was given to her by another shop that closed and her products are over the counter meaning you can buy them yourself at your local beauty store and she charges way more for basic services. So no i am not missing the big picture at all.

plus if they have a license they can get all their product and supplies at minimum, half price than retail.

my friend's mom got me some really expenses shampoo and condition one year for $15 each for the liter bottles :D

Yup that's true too

lovemesomebargins
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovemesomebargins » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:07 pm

lwmjr wrote:does anyone tip..............cows, also know as cow tipping

Once but that was a lllllloooonnngggggg time ago :)

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:41 pm

lovemesomebargins wrote:
lwmjr wrote:does anyone tip..............cows, also know as cow tipping

Once but that was a lllllloooonnngggggg time ago :)

Haaa i am thinking about that movie tommy boy with Chris Farley

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:58 pm

Sparkle2217 wrote:@ lovebf....that is not true as I stated i know hairdressers on both ends of the spectrum. The one hairdresser works mon-sat pays a $20 chair fee so $120 since she works 6 days a week. She charges a minimum of $65 just to shampoo your hair. If you want a deep conditioner thats $5 extra, $10 extra if you want your ends clipped. So if you get the max thats $80 bucks and she usually sees 7 people a day. Other services are more. She does well for herself. Yes, she does her taxes every year since she is self employed but she doesn't owe...why....because she has kids.

The other hairdresser i mentioned who has her own shop...this is the one I was out with. She does not pay any utlities at all. All her chairs and stuff was given to her by another shop that closed and her products are over the counter meaning you can buy them yourself at your local beauty store and she charges way more for basic services. So no i am not missing the big picture at all.

@ cinemike :lol: :lol: easiest way to go

@shopper...there is nothing wrong with that at all since you aren't breaking the bank. I am talking more on the lines of the people I mentioned above who still want a tip on top of the high price they charge and yet don't want to tip a server who makes $10 an hr plus tips

:? How can she run a shop and not have to pay the light bill etc.? They have to pay for their products, scissors, hair dryers, dye, combs etc. Maybe I am not getting what you are saying?

I am not here to get into a pissing match with you. My daughter is a hairdresser and an educator, so I understand it and what it really takes to run a hair business. Not many people realize what it takes. She has rented her chair and has owned her own. A business is a business. They are self-employed and a small business (obviously some are bigger business'). They also get taxed on tips, whether they get them or not, just like a waiter. We have to remember, the government decides WHO gets tips and taxes these people whether they get them or not from their customers. Also, I am sure the state you live in is a factor.

I was just saying that WE cannot assume anyone's financial standing when deciding to tip. I took to what you were saying that they make so much money they don't deserve one. I find that presumptuous and rude. Until you have walked in their shoes, those judgments are exactly the problem. That makes you not get the big picture here. You don't even understand the overhead and standing on your feet for hours all day waiting on people with this kind of attitude. Have some respect.
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

lovebf
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovebf » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:08 pm

I will say this to everyone that thinks hairdressers owe you. They are doing you a service, just like the person that is waiting the table, offering you a service. One-on-one. You can do whatever you want as far as tipping. What came into question was "why should we tip them when they get paid." So does your sever, yet you tip them. The idea of tipping has gotten out of control, I agree. But this goes way back and ultimately, the idea is to tip when you are receiving a service from another person. As far as your stance on "why should I tip and help pay for their bills?" Every time you lay down money for something, you ARE paying for someone else's bill. Target, Best Buy, etc. It is a fruitless argument and a waste of time. That is the issue with so many attitudes today, have some appreciation for what other's do for you and be kind. I am done with this thread. The best to all of you.
It just isn't Black Friday when it is Thursday.......

lovemesomebargins
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovemesomebargins » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:11 pm

I just wanted to know if I should should tip the girl that gives me my to-go order at Texas Roadhouse... :lol: teach me to start a thread :D

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:23 am

@lovebf

I think you seriously need to calm down because you honestly do not want this pissing match. I respected your opinion and was just giving you my experience and my knowledge based off of people I know and have and continue to deal with. Just like some people rent an apartment and don't have to pay utilities it is the same for some business owners who rent space and i am sure it also depends on your area. Also as I mentioned the hairdressers/stylist I know get their products over the counter at beauty supply stores just like I do which keeps their cost down or as bfaddict said they can get their products for cheap if they have their license and choose the right vendor. As i stated yes they get taxed just like any business but they don't owe...why because they have children and they make sure they deduct exactly what they can and get whatever credits they can so for THEM they are making a pretty good living doing what they do compared to some other business owners. I am not assuming anyone's financial standing I was going by the PEOPLE I know and once again have and continue to deal with. Just like when we were out to eat at the restaurant and she did not want to tip the server who made $10 an hr plus tips and I could not fathom that. Like I said I tip and for the most part tip very well except when it comes to certain things/people and honey yes I have walked in their shoes several times since I started working at age 16 until I decided exactly what it was I wanted to do in life and when I busted tables if I got a tip great, if not oh well because I was still making an hourly wage on top of it (yes some people only get paid in tips) but my customer service never changed and I never EXPECTED people to tip me because I was providing a service. I was doing the job I was HIRED to do and I was going to do it well whether I was tipped or not. So trust me I have alot of respect and compassion for people and this post can go on and on since providing a service can fall in several different areas but I will not go there. I was just wondering about certain areas of service based off of what I had experienced lately with someone who had worked specifically in that area. You enjoy your holidays :D

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 am

lovemesomebargins wrote:I just wanted to know if I should should tip the girl that gives me my to-go order at Texas Roadhouse... :lol: teach me to start a thread :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ......sorry you can start whatever thread you want. I just think some people get wayyyyyy into their feelings. Since you were talking about tipping I just wondered about another area of service and it was nice to see that I wasn't the only one who may have questioned or had any experience when it comes to that area.

lovemesomebargins
Black Friday Pro

Postby lovemesomebargins » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:43 pm

:lol:

Return to “Off Topic”