HOW do you shop on Black Friday?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

teknoge3k
Forum geek

HOW do you shop on Black Friday?

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:00 pm

I bring this topic up every year, just curious as to how people shop.

Do you make a list? Do you check it twice? Do you find out who's na... wait, nevermind..

Some people still don't shop on Thanksgiving, some people only shop online. What's YOUR strategy?
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

Re: HOW do you shop on Black Friday?

Postby barbd00 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:22 pm

I've still been tweaking my shopping plan as they must change.

Once upon a time, my day went like this: Up at obscene hours on Thanksgiving day. Get turkey in (or have hubs up to do it). Grab a paper and head to Kmart and Boscovs. Hit Dollar General and Walgreens. Home by 10ish.
Wrap, make dinner, eat dinner, relax, maybe nap. Around midnight, head out until 8-10am.
Wrap, eat, nap. Shop online. Maybe go out again if hubs/kids want to when lines clear out. 8) It was a master plan that played out almost perfectly every year.

Now: Kmart is closed near me. All the stores open early on Thanksgiving instead of early hours.

I haven't found a good rhythm as of yet. But I do end up home by 2 - 3 am instead of in the morning hours. I don't enjoy the shopping as much and I sometimes have time to shop online, but rarely since I am cooking/prepping and have to leave before 6. I didn't mind the 8-10 pm openings as much as I mind the evening openings. :evil:

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:36 pm

As the ads come out, I add things I might possibly want to my BFAds shopping list. It doesn't matter if it's duplicates or whatever. If I might be interested, I add it. Then I go through my list when all of the stores I want are out, and reevaluate everything I've added. Removing things like "do I really want this?" and so forth. Sometimes I get click happy. ;)

Once I have gone through my list and filtered it, I create a spreadsheet which is my shopping list. It's organized by the stores that open first then second, then so forth. Then those stores are organized by importance of item. If there's something I really want at a store, it's on the list first. Each item has the page number it's on and the sku as well as other info such as "rebate" or whatever.

On Thursday morning I wake up and head to Walgreens and Dollar General and CVS and any other small store like that that's open and knock out those items. Then I come home and watch the parade with my boys. Once the parade is over, I drop them off at my inlaws and come home and lie down for a quick nap. I will also shop online where possible during that time.

About 2:30, I will head to Walmart and walk around and see where everything is, or is going. Just to get an idea of what I will be doing. This year, I will be standing in line since it's the first year my wife is off work. Once she comes to join me probably around 4, she will take my place in line and I'll go back into the store. About 4:30 I will start putting the items in my cart that I want and head back up front to wait on checkout to open at 6. (Our Walmart doesn't do the whole plastic wrap or wait until 6 thing that others do.). Then at 6, my wife will meet me in line with the laptop she's getting and we'll check out. From there, we'll head to the city to hit the other stores that we have on our list.

Afterward, we'll go grab some food somewhere, then come home and crash. There's nowhere we need to go on Friday since everywhere is open on Thursday. Friday we'll sleep late, then she'll go get the boys and I'll head to the game.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:05 pm

The past couple years, JCP for a snow globe, on BF, Home Depot has been my first stop, then Pep Boys,
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:22 pm

Same with Tek on reevaluating my list for things I really want and need. I do not shop on Thursday! Friday we will probably head out around 4-5am (we left at midnight last year..) And start at big spots like Walmart and Target, hitting others like Kohls, Petsmart/Petco, and Five Below. Then we will have to do a bit of traveling to get to our next set of stores which include IKEA, Best Buy, and a mall with a lot of good stuff like F.Y.E and Gamestop. Once we feel finished for the day, we will bring home some unhealthy food and stuff our face and pass out! I'll wake up at some point to finish off any online shopping that's left later that night. Best day ever!!!

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:48 pm

SantaShopper wrote:Same with Tek on reevaluating my list for things I really want and need. I do not shop on Thursday! Friday we will probably head out around 4-5am (we left at midnight last year..) And start at big spots like Walmart and Target, hitting others like Kohls, Petsmart/Petco, and Five Below. Then we will have to do a bit of traveling to get to our next set of stores which include IKEA, Best Buy, and a mall with a lot of good stuff like F.Y.E and Gamestop. Once we feel finished for the day, we will bring home some unhealthy food and stuff our face and pass out! I'll wake up at some point to finish off any online shopping that's left later that night. Best day ever!!!

I've not met many BF shoppers who don't actually shop on BF (Thursday) so I am curious.. When you go out late at night like that, are you shopping for leftover items, or what? I know a lot of places the doorbuster prices aren't valid on Friday, only Thursday. Do you get much of what you go after or is it smaller things, or....?

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:57 pm

I generally think of myself as a scavenger - usually going a few hours after opening to pick through what's left because I don't go for big ticket items. I do think I wil go to JCP around opening for the coupon, but I still refuse to line up at an stores.

I make a spreadsheet of items that interest me and usually decide in the store if I want them (if there are even any left, but most usually are - just sometimes not in good colors or whatever)

SantaShopper
Black Friday Pro

Postby SantaShopper » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:25 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
I've not met many BF shoppers who don't actually shop on BF (Thursday) so I am curious.. When you go out late at night like that, are you shopping for leftover items, or what? I know a lot of places the doorbuster prices aren't valid on Friday, only Thursday. Do you get much of what you go after or is it smaller things, or....?

Well BF is just that...Friday! :lol: I don't go out on Thursday because I'm not really after a ton of doorbusters, and I've never had too much of a problem finding what I need from the adds in store. I'm mostly shopping for small household gifts, games, clothes, small electronics, DVDs, and odds and ends that I find as I go. If there is something that I need online, I'm sure to get it quick before its out of stock.

CrazyTrain
Black Friday Pro

Postby CrazyTrain » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:54 pm

I usually look through the pdf ads 2 or 3 times, make a list. I then look at the real ads.
i usually do most of my hopping in store. I love the anticipation, the rush, the feel of it all.

This year I am working retail. So I am going to Dollar General in the morning for a gift for my bro and the paper. I will probably go to JCP at 3, since I will be working when all the other sales start wahhhh. I might sneak over to Target during my lunch, but I might be too tired to go anywhere.

I'll probably go to some places on Friday morning. We'll see.

So I am planning on doing more online BF shopping, which is kinda bleh to me.

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 pm

cleaning up Thurs as fast as I can & waiting for mom to make her 2 1/2 hr drive up so we can RUN!!

I'm going to drop her off at Wally World for sheets then I'm standing in line at Kohls for a camera. May drive over to JCP to see if they have any coupons left....maybe.

Then kill time at some unknown location till the mall opens at 6 am....Bath & Body Works then probably home.....maybe....thinking about it....

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:48 am

tinytim35 wrote:cleaning up Thurs as fast as I can & waiting for mom to make her 2 1/2 hr drive up so we can RUN!!

I'm going to drop her off at Wally World for sheets then I'm standing in line at Kohls for a camera. May drive over to JCP to see if they have any coupons left....maybe.

Then kill time at some unknown location till the mall opens at 6 am....Bath & Body Works then probably home.....maybe....thinking about it....

Keep in mind KMart has flannel sheets $15 any size. That's an awesome deal, since it includes king sheets. I plan on grabbing a few sets. First time I'll ever be doing Kmart Thanksgiving sale.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:54 am

teknoge3k wrote:
tinytim35 wrote:cleaning up Thurs as fast as I can & waiting for mom to make her 2 1/2 hr drive up so we can RUN!!

Keep in mind KMart has flannel sheets $15 any size. That's an awesome deal, since it includes king sheets. I plan on grabbing a few sets. First time I'll ever be doing Kmart Thanksgiving sale.

the nearest Kmart is about 90 miles from here so won't get there :( I can't do flannel....would melt! Now, my son would love some!! I'm looking for the 1100 thread count but went online & they have some microfiber ones now with 1500 thread count for about the same price....just not sure about the difference between microfiber (polyester) and the cotton/poly blend. Still thinking.

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:45 am

I always make a list early on and tweak if I am able to get the same thing online in advance. I always hit Walmart and Target on Thanksgiving and usually stop by Home Depot and Lowes on Friday morning followed by another stop at a different Walmart to see what they have left. Usually, we have good luck with DVDs and games this way. Oh yeah, I seem to always make it to Kohls before the 1pm cut off. Since there is a Kmart near us, I may go to the Thanksgiving sale in the morning. Overall, I find myself shopping online more and more now.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:13 pm

I try to be organized. I try to make a list. But it really just kinda goes to hell once I get in the stores lol
My friend and I used to be at openings at nearly all of the stores when they were staggered pretty good. Last year she had to join me later in the evening so we went to most stores after the crowds had died down and i have to say I honestly didn't hate it. We weren't looking to get any major door busters so we didn't have to stand outside in the cold, we didn't have to rush around grabbing items, and we didn't have to stand in any super long lines.

nikkigirl01
Black Friday Pro

Postby nikkigirl01 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:23 pm

I make a list for each store that includes the price of the item. I typically shop only in store because I love the crowds and the environment and the energy of it all. Typically, Walmart is my first stop an hour or two before the actual sale starts. I then casually wander around the Electronics department and ninja a bunch of movies into my cart. (The movies on the shelves in Electronics ring up for the BF prices 9 out of 10 times.) I then find a spot near the doorbuster I want the most and wait for the sale to start. Then it is off to Target, Kmart, Kohls, etc...

Return to “Off Topic”