HOW do you shop on Black Friday?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, hiker, lwmjr, ikey2

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

HOW do you shop on Black Friday?

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:30 pm

What is your strategy, how do you get prepared, how do you shop, what do you do? I'd love to hear everyones gameplan.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

hiker
Forum Moderator

Re: HOW do you shop on Black Friday?

Postby hiker » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 pm

Make a list (broken down into wants, needs, and send wife in to fight the BF crowds).. grab credit cards (non maxed out ones), and then fight the online shoppers for things i need/want.. (and then return the ones my wife tells me to later)

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:46 pm

1. Make a shopping list from the ads on BFAds

2. After all of the ads are out, I go back through my shopping list and clean it up a little bit. Deleting the things I think "wtf was I thinking when I added this"

3. After all of the ads are out, I make a spreadsheet listing every item I want, and then listing the stores. In the columns I put the prices, that way it's easy for me to price compare which store has each item I want the cheapest.

4. After I've figured out which store has each item the cheapest, I go back through my shopping list and delete the higher priced items/stores, so my shopping list consists of the lowest price for that item.

5. I make another spreadsheet. This time it has my shopping list. I categorize it by which store opens first, and so forth. Then under each store, I have my list for that store. In the list, I have the item name, stock number, price, ad page number, and any other needed information for that specific item. The items are listed in order of importance for that store. If stores open at the same time, I have them prioritized as well.

6. When I head out to go shopping, I get the ads for each place I want to go, and make sure each item is circled, and only take the pages I need. That way I go into a store armed with my spreadsheet with the exact information, as well as the ad itself.

7. I go to the stores in order of my spreadsheet (they're already in order of opening time/importance on my spreadsheet). I run in, grab exactly what I have on my list. I speed walk, grab only the items listed, and speed walk to the register, pay for my item(s) and leave. Never carry cash (and I am not 90 so I don't use checks)

8. After my spreadsheet is finished, then I can go back to "browse" things at other stores. Remember, you can buy it now and always return it but you can't get it later at the cheaper price.

9. Once we're all finished, we go to Cracker Barrel.

10. I come home and spend the rest of the day on Amazon watching their sales.

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:06 pm

teknoge3k wrote:1. Make a shopping list from the ads on BFAds

2. After all of the ads are out, I go back through my shopping list and clean it up a little bit. Deleting the things I think "wtf was I thinking when I added this"

3. After all of the ads are out, I make a spreadsheet listing every item I want, and then listing the stores. In the columns I put the prices, that way it's easy for me to price compare which store has each item I want the cheapest.

4. After I've figured out which store has each item the cheapest, I go back through my shopping list and delete the higher priced items/stores, so my shopping list consists of the lowest price for that item.

5. I make another spreadsheet. This time it has my shopping list. I categorize it by which store opens first, and so forth. Then under each store, I have my list for that store. In the list, I have the item name, stock number, price, ad page number, and any other needed information for that specific item. The items are listed in order of importance for that store. If stores open at the same time, I have them prioritized as well.

6. When I head out to go shopping, I get the ads for each place I want to go, and make sure each item is circled, and only take the pages I need. That way I go into a store armed with my spreadsheet with the exact information, as well as the ad itself.

7. I go to the stores in order of my spreadsheet (they're already in order of opening time/importance on my spreadsheet). I run in, grab exactly what I have on my list. I speed walk, grab only the items listed, and speed walk to the register, pay for my item(s) and leave. Never carry cash (and I am not 90 so I don't use checks)

8. After my spreadsheet is finished, then I can go back to "browse" things at other stores. Remember, you can buy it now and always return it but you can't get it later at the cheaper price.

9. Once we're all finished, we go to Cracker Barrel.

10. I come home and spend the rest of the day on Amazon watching their sales.

yeah, what he said!

angelmse
Black Friday Pro

Postby angelmse » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Tek, you crack me up. :lol: Big hugs Hon.......

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:46 pm

angelmse wrote:Tek, you crack me up. :lol: Big hugs Hon.......

8)

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:01 pm

I make a list of anything and everything I think I want - which is usually way more than I need.
I go shopping with my friend so we compare notes, we discuss if there's anything major that we want/need - if one of us really wants an items that we need to be at opening for, we will do that. Otherwise we choose our favorite store and start there. We used to plan it by store opening time but all these 6 pm opening times kinda ruined that. I LOVED the staggered opening times.

Then we kinda just go places by location.

By about midnight I'm completely exhausted and don't care anymore and just want to sleep lol

This year our strategy will be kinda messed up cause she has to go to thanksgiving dinner at 6:30. So we might hit up some stores before 5 and then I'll meet back up with her about 8:30-9 and we can hit the other stores and hopefully the crowds will have died down.

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:23 pm

I make my spreadsheet for Christmas present ideas for each person.

I look at the ads on bfads and try to garner the best price.

I update spreadsheet with prices and locations.

For online purchases such as TRU and JCPenney I highlight and put the ID codes so I can quickly fill my online cart.

I make my plan of online shopping and then I hit the stores in person for items I am going for; however, that list has dwindled over the past two years of stores I go to in person. Usually Walmart, Walgreen's, Target, or Meijer make the cut. On old school BF I hit Menards and Home Depot depending on their ads.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:59 am

I'm kind of a scavenger. I make a list of things that interest me from certain stores and I go to them (usually a few hours after opening at the earliest). I plan my route based on store location - kind of make a circular trip around the city. I usually only end up buying a kohl's blanket, some cheap dvds, and some clothes. One year I bought a vacuum...it was just as cheap to buy a new one as replace the belt on the old one :P

jovilover
Black Friday Pro

Postby jovilover » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:19 am

Most years I look at ads and make my list......I live across the street from target so I hit there first and then head to my mall.....there we hit jc penny first.....after trips back to my car to drop bags off we go back in to the mall and just wing it. Some how I end up buying stuff for my myself a lot lol this year I am pretty much done with xmas gifts but I need some stocking stuffers and I know I'll find more gifts lol
Then we go home about 1am....sleep for a bit and then head back out in the morning to hit a few more stores. Not very organized but it works :)

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:58 am

I usually put together a list of things that interest me from the ads, then make a list of 'priority' items, needs, then write down the extras.
I compare prices between stores, if more than 1 store has the item on sale, I write down at least the top 2 stores/prices, in case store #1 doesn't have anymore, I could try store #2.
Write down anything I could possibly price match at Walmart.
I look at store opening times, and decide where I'll go first.
I'm old fashioned, and just make my list on notebook paper lol. Everything is written down in the store order I plan to shop at.

I used to hit Kmart 6am Tday morning, get my newspaper and pull out the ads I need after I get Tday dinner started, while listening and watching the Tday parade on tv.

We eat around 2pm, clean up the kitchen, rest, then go out.
Usually hit Walmart on the northside of the city since it's away from the other stores/busy shopping areas.
After that I head over to Kmart on the southside of the city.
Before when BF was actually on F, I'd stop at some smaller stores on my way home, but since they typically don't open on Tday night, I've just been heading home after Kmart.
Do some Amazon shopping Friday morning.

This year I am undecided, I haven't even made lists yet.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Thursday-Working 3am-3pm, serving a charity turkey dinner from 5-7pm, running into Walmart around 8pm, then Target and Sears. Meeting a relative at Denny's around midnight as we've done the past three years. If I don't get the PS4 bundle at Walmart, I'll be at Game Stop when they open at 5am Friday. The rest of Friday I'll be catching up on some much needed sleep before work Saturday after BF.

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

Postby barbd00 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:45 pm

I start with a generalized list for each store. Noting all items I may want.

When I get the ads, I go through them (I'm up cooking dinner early Thanksgiving morning anyway) and flag deals I want, looking very closely at them to see if I really want them.

I compare all the items, deciding on prices, noting back up stores for items when they have them.

Make a list of what I want in order of most importance and then make my store lists from that.

Whilst doing all that, I'm also shopping online as necessary.

I then compare with my BF shopping partner so we can team up to grab items (especially if we have a map of the store).

I stack these neatly in my bag and post its of who is to grab what tacked on the cover. When we get to the appropriate stores, I grab the ad, hand out post its to the team members (my two oldest daughters and my BF partner) and split up.

We meet back up at checkout with all our stuff.

Repeat as necessary.

Lately, with the new hours, I do this for the big stores, then the hubs and I and the family all go to the smaller stores when things settle down in the morning.

Then we come home and do any online shopping.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:23 pm

cinemike16 wrote:Thursday-Working 3am-3pm, serving a charity turkey dinner from 5-7pm, running into Walmart around 8pm, then Target and Sears. Meeting a relative at Denny's around midnight as we've done the past three years. If I don't get the PS4 bundle at Walmart, I'll be at Game Stop when they open at 5am Friday. The rest of Friday I'll be catching up on some much needed sleep before work Saturday after BF.

Oops I had the wrong date for the charity dinner.. That's scheduled for the SUNDAY prior to Thanksgiving. So, my "plans" if you could call it that have changed.

Still working 3-3 Thursday. Guess I'll be able to make Walmart or Target when the sales start at 5-6pm although there's nothing I need doorbuster-wise

Right now my list only consists of: a PS4 bundle, a $45 Sony blu-ray player, cheap movies and video games, new coat and boots for the kiddo, new boots for myself, and a couple wireless mice.

I usually determine my stops by going to the furthest destination and work my way back home...For instance, if I do that this year, it'll be Gander Mtn, Sears, Target, Best Buy, Walmart #1, Denny's for our midnight din-fast (annual tradition, that may not happen this year with the earlier start times), Kmart, Walmart #2(if needed), Big Lots, Rite Aid,and Dollar General. If both Walmart stores sell out of the PS4 bundle (unlikely), I'll be standing in line at Game Stop first thing Friday morning - otherwise I'll go into work for a half day of OT and hit up a couple odd stores in the afternoon for the aftermath.

Irish
Black Friday Newbie

Postby Irish » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:52 am

I use a spreadsheet to organize my ideas and the store openings. I am still adjusting to the new way of shopping Black Friday. I host Thanksgiving so I don't go out until 5 am on Friday. It is so pleasantly quiet at that time of morning now. It is almost eerie knowing how it use to be. I just shop the most important items on sale. I will shop online too.

Return to “Off Topic”