Need opinions/advice

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Need opinions/advice

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:42 am

Hi All,

This year has been so hectic I haven't really posted on the boards much. Anyhoo I am having a problem with my 7yr old. For whatever reason she is seriously wanting an american girl doll. She has wanted one the past few years but I refuse and I mean refuse to pay that much money for a doll. For Christmas I brought her the my girl doll at walmart which in my opinion is just like the american girl doll just cheaper. She plays with it but is still insisting on getting an american girl doll. I have asked her why she wants one so bad and why are these particular dolls so special to her and she can't give me a reason why except she just wants one which of course ain't good enough for me.

I just really don't know what to do because I cannot justify paying that much for a doll. Any suggestions/ideas? What is so special about these dolls. Any other parents experience this problem?

Frustrated in Virginia LOL :(

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Need opinions/advice

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:15 am

Reminds me of my son with the "MiP" robot. He just HAD to have it, it was $100 but he's only played with it once since Christmas.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 am

OMG isn't that so frustrating Tek

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:00 am

eh, it is what it is and kids will be kids. lol - I must say my wife and I are the same way. She HAD to have a treadmill. I bought her a treadmill early last summer. I bought the iFit device as well as the membership and everything else that you could possibly think of to go with it. It hasn't been turned on 5 times.

She HAD to have a sewing machine one year. I bought her one at Target on BF. 7 years later, it's still unopened in the box in the closet. lol

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:35 am

ROFL. If you put it like that I know I am so guilty of NEEDING something so bad and get it and don't use it. It is just something about this dag on doll that I don't care how much she pouts I just don't want to get it.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm going to echo tek, kids will be kids, sometimes there's no real reason why we "need" something. Ironically it doesn't stop with kids, I'm similar whenever I'm at Sears, I have every tool I'd ever need but if there's something new on the shelf that I think may be useful even once I feel like I must buy it. Fortunately, for me, that rarely happens(I'm a simple person so I buy very few material goods for myself). My wife is the opposite, if she sees something she'll buy it even if we can't afford it (despite knowing I hate buying stuff on credit), maybe that's why we are stuck with 6 nutribullet blenders and 4 singer sewing machines that will never be used. I remember what seems like ages ago during the Tickle-Me Elmo craze, my daughter watched the TV commercial over and over again until she memorized it and it was the only thing she wanted at Christmastime. The problem is the price on those things were ridiculously steep and many stores would sell out quick(I'm sure you may remember those days), I waited until the following year once the craze died down a bit. She showed interest for a day..maybe two, then there it went thrown into her toy box with everything else.

My advice: Patience is key sometimes. The toy will either drop in price or she will forget all about it before long. Oddly enough the more you spend on your kids while they're young the more they expect from you later in life, and trust me their gifts will get a lot more expensive as they get older. Another option would be to check garage/yard sales and thrift stores, if you're not against buying secondhand goods.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:25 pm

cinemike16 wrote: maybe that's why we are stuck with 6 nutribullet blenders and 4 singer sewing machines that will never be used.

Wanna buy another one, to make it 5? Brand new, never used!

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:28 pm

cinemike16 wrote:I'm going to echo tek, kids will be kids, sometimes there's no real reason why we "need" something. Ironically it doesn't stop with kids, I'm similar whenever I'm at Sears, I have every tool I'd ever need but if there's something new on the shelf that I think may be useful even once I feel like I must buy it. Fortunately, for me, that rarely happens(I'm a simple person so I buy very few material goods for myself). My wife is the opposite, if she sees something she'll buy it even if we can't afford it (despite knowing I hate buying stuff on credit), maybe that's why we are stuck with 6 nutribullet blenders and 4 singer sewing machines that will never be used. I remember what seems like ages ago during the Tickle-Me Elmo craze, my daughter watched the TV commercial over and over again until she memorized it and it was the only thing she wanted at Christmastime. The problem is the price on those things were ridiculously steep and many stores would sell out quick(I'm sure you may remember those days), I waited until the following year once the craze died down a bit. She showed interest for a day..maybe two, then there it went thrown into her toy box with everything else.

My advice: Patience is key sometimes. The toy will either drop in price or she will forget all about it before long. Oddly enough the more you spend on your kids while they're young the more they expect from you later in life, and trust me their gifts will get a lot more expensive as they get older. Another option would be to check garage/yard sales and thrift stores, if you're not against buying secondhand goods.

I am the queen of the thrift store and saturday garage/yard sales when its warm outside LOL. Hopefully she will just forget about it cause I have not seen this doll drop in price in almost 2 years and don't get me started with the accessories. OMG I know all about the expensive gifts as they get older. I have my 13 soon to be 14yr old for that. Ahhh the joys of parenting.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm

teknoge3k wrote:
cinemike16 wrote: maybe that's why we are stuck with 6 nutribullet blenders and 4 singer sewing machines that will never be used.

Wanna buy another one, to make it 5? Brand new, never used!

Haaaaaa I am actually going out this weekend (weather permitting loving the snow) to look for a sewing machine since mine finally broke last night too funny :lol:

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:30 pm

My girls used to want the mytwinn dolls...even had the free vhs of how doll is made...but neither ever got the doll. Neither ever mention it now as tween/teen.

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks BFShopper. That is all my little one talked about all weekend especially when she saw the girl of the year commercial that played over and over again LOL.

pdavis
Black Friday Pro

Postby pdavis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:24 pm

try craigslist or ebay.
I'm addicted!

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:59 pm

SPARKLE2217 wrote:Thanks BFShopper. That is all my little one talked about all weekend especially when she saw the girl of the year commercial that played over and over again LOL.

Ah thanks for that, I do not miss having cable! :)

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:09 pm

What about having your daughter "earn" half the money for the doll? Create a list of chores she could do and set an amount for each of these chores. Keep a chart with the chore and money earned. Create a goal amount at the bottom. After she has earned the money she can decide if she wants to put the money towards the doll or save it for something else. She may just decide that it's too much work. But this is a good way for a child to realize that "things" cost money and to earn money, a person needs to work. However, this means you would have to technically pay for her part of the earnings and the rest of the doll. If you simply do not want to buy a doll that expensive, just be firm about it. They are well made dolls, but I still think they are overpriced. My sister was a single mom when my niece ask for the "Samantha" doll. My sister went ahead and bought it for her for Christmas. My sis made a trunk with clothes to go with it and some accessories. She is very creative and talented. Of course, that was the only thing my niece got for Christmas from "Santa" that year. My niece was happy with it and played with the doll for a couple of years before she outgrew the playing with dolls stage.

Having the kids earn their own money is what we've always done and it's worked well so far. We budget for their earnings. My middle daughter is a saver. She will pass up certain little things so she can get the big item she wants. She bought her own laptop, ipod, and now she's saving for her own phone and plan to go with it. If the older girls work this summer, I will supply them with the cheapest pre-paid flip phone I can buy. If they want something better, they will need to buy it themselves.

I am a mean mom though lol. (not really, but we joke about it)

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:36 am

Thanks Pdavis who doesn't love craigslist or ebay (when you have paypal) LOL

Kaelha...that's a good idea and I like the idea of kids earning the money and that would probably work but both of my kids always do their chores without me having to ask them too. I incorporated that a long time ago. Don't want to hear mommy fuss do your homework and chores first then you can play afterwards. Been working really good for a couple of years now. As soon as they get up in the morning they make their beds and all that good stuff.

Return to “Off Topic”