FEATURE MOVIES - what have you seen recently?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

FEATURE MOVIES - what have you seen recently?

Postby XmasDVD » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:09 pm

We just rented TAMMY and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - great, both of them.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Re: FEATURE MOVIES - what have you seen recently?

Postby cinemike16 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:17 pm

XmasDVD wrote:We just rented TAMMY and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - great, both of them.

I was one of the few I know who enjoyed TAMMY, it seemed to have the same old jokes we're used to seeing from McCarthy and Susan Sarandon's worst yet. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, which I see is on a lot of people's "best of 2014" lists among the movie communities I am a member of, was to me just OK. I actually enjoyed the soundtrack to that movie more than the story itself, but to each their own.

Anyway, the last [recent] movie I watched was THE MAZE RUNNER. Excellent movie that I'd recommend, if you don't know anything about it I'd advise looking it up first though. After watching it I decided I wanted to read the novel, so I placed an order via my local library to borrow it when it comes back into circulation.

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 pm

The last two movies I watched was maze runner and American sniper.

Watched maze runner one saturday at work while it was dead. This movie actually surprised me, was thinking it was lame take hunger games with boys. I was wrong and enjoyed it and plan to read the books.

American sniper was such a letdown and to much to mention right now .
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

Sparkle2217
Black Friday Pro

Postby Sparkle2217 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:18 pm

Took the kiddies to see night of the museum 3 and rented No Good Deed on redbox. I have guardians on dvd and I personally did not like it at all

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:19 pm

Last 2 movies I watched in the theater were Into the Woods (yesterday actually) and Penguins of Madagascar. Into the Woods wasn't too bad, but I think I prefer Bernadette Peters as the witch (from the 90s stage production).

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:10 am

I am looking forward to the new STAR WARS film on Dec 15th- anyone else?

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:59 am

XmasDVD wrote:I am looking forward to the new STAR WARS film on Dec 15th- anyone else?

Always ready for anything Star Wars and with the recent interview with George Lucas crying a river saying Disney is didn't keep the ideas i had for the movies.

This is a good thing we need a new fresh look at series.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:04 pm

My kiddo couldn't sleep last night so we stayed up late watching the new TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES. We both enjoyed it although she fell asleep before it ended, personally I would prefer the original live action movies over this new CGI bullshit but I'm willing to accept it anyway.

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:32 pm

ikey2 wrote:
XmasDVD wrote:I am looking forward to the new STAR WARS film on Dec 15th- anyone else?

Always ready for anything Star Wars and with the recent interview with George Lucas crying a river saying Disney is didn't keep the ideas i had for the movies.
This is a good thing we need a new fresh look at series.

Yeah Lucas has gotten WAY off track. It used to be about the story now it is more about the money. Shame. I hope Disney runs with it - you can make money and have a quality story too.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Theater: Into the Woods. It was decent...

Rentals: Boyhood (didn't like), TAmmy (ok) If I Stay (slow), 22 Jump Street (ok)

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:50 pm

bfshoppermom wrote:Theater: Into the Woods. It was decent...

Rentals: Boyhood (didn't like), TAmmy (ok) If I Stay (slow), 22 Jump Street (ok)

You must be into comedies. :D Boyhood was an excellent drama, worth an Oscar IMHO although I know it won't get one.

Last movie I watched was Heat (1995). Talk about long, many scenes seemed to drag on forever. Great cast and plot though.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:50 pm

cinemike16 wrote:

You must be into comedies. :D Boyhood was an excellent drama, worth an Oscar IMHO although I know it won't get one.

Last movie I watched was Heat (1995). Talk about long, many scenes seemed to drag on forever. Great cast and plot though.

I am hard to please with shows. I watched Boyhood after the awards so I think that probably swayed my opinion...didn't live up to my ideas. I have a 14 year old that is main person I see movies with...so she does influence choice of what we watch/rent from RedBox. I like historical movies, Pioneer/Frontier romance/family stories, dramas, some romantic comedy. Oh and I have seen every sappy Christmas Romance/Family/chick flick type movie. My top movie favorite will always be The Princess Bride....but none of my kids are that big of a fan. of movies from my childhood...they are all very into Star Wars and Back to the Future trilogy.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:17 pm

bfshoppermom wrote:
cinemike16 wrote:

I am hard to please with shows. I watched Boyhood after the awards so I think that probably swayed my opinion...didn't live up to my ideas. I have a 14 year old that is main person I see movies with...so she does influence choice of what we watch/rent from RedBox. I like historical movies, Pioneer/Frontier romance/family stories, dramas, some romantic comedy. Oh and I have seen every sappy Christmas Romance/Family/chick flick type movie. My top movie favorite will always be The Princess Bride....but none of my kids are that big of a fan. of movies from my childhood...they are all very into Star Wars and Back to the Future trilogy.

You can't go wrong with the Back to the Future trilogy; sci-fi, action, some comedy, and drama piled into one (..okay..3 movies but really only the first one counts IMO).

Being outnumbered 2-1 by girls, I see a lot of mind-numbing comedies and romantic dramas. Perhaps I'd be the only guy willing to admit that some sappy TV dramas are actually rather interesting. They're not out to win Oscars but many will entertain for their 80-90 min run time. I would still prefer a more action-thriller flick though. :)

XmasDVD
Black Friday Pro

Postby XmasDVD » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:31 pm

Just rented DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES yesterday and LEFT BEHIND.

Didn't know Left Behind was a religious type movie but it was still good. 3.5 out of 5 stars
POTA was kind of slower paced than I expected but it was still good 4.0 out of 5 stars

ikey2
BFads Tin Man

Postby ikey2 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Took my 3 y/o to go see Hotel Transylvania 2 at the drive in.

[yt]www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUBO6qKotZw[/yt]
Hester, Pat

Andy Rooney

Return to “Off Topic”