Hooking up components to new TV

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Hooking up components to new TV

Postby azerigold » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:49 am

Ok, so, we bought a new tv, bear with me... I am not up to par in modern technology when it comes to this stuff :lol:
New tv has 5 colored plugs on the back of it, then it has some USB ports, and HDMI plugs. which only allows for either the wii or dvd player to be plugged in, but not both since they take the 'old fashioned' colored plugs.

How in the world can I get both the Wii & dvd player hooked up? The dvd player is a dinosaur, I've had it for years, but it works great. We don't have satellite, we use the Wii for Netflix/hulu, etc.

I'm considering getting a new dvd player, I know Walmart has a Blu-ray for around $35, and guessing it could hook up through HDMI? This might almost be the less stressful way to go. We just don't watch a lot of tv, but when we do, I don't want any hassles on going from one device to another.
My budget is stretched pretty thin with holidays, and just having a huge birthday party for my oldest daughter, so the cheapest way I can do this would be the best way :wink:

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Re: Hooking up components to new TV

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:08 am

Upgrading is never a bad thing :wink: :lol:

If you get a new DVD player (I'd get a BluRay player since DVDs are becoming a thing of the past it seems) then it'll use HDMI. Plus it will be able to play your old DVDs.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 am

Assuming the DVD player and Wii both have the 3-plug composite cables (red, white, yellow), buying an AV switch like this one or that one one of these will work around your problem. The devices plug into the switch which combines them to one set of cables that would plug into the television. You use a button or slider on top of the switch to select which device to use.

However, I think that the best solution might be simply to buy a new DVD player-- eventually. The problem is that you are passing a technological milestone where the old tech has become obsolete and somewhat unusable (component/composite being phased out and replaced by HDMI). Buying a $20 switch will solve your problem today. But, I think that tomorrow you would eventually replace your DVD player anyway, and perhaps it might be better to put the $20 towards the new $35 DVD player instead.

(Personally, what I would probably do is to just leave things as is for now, saving money by accepting some inconvenience. Leave one device plugged into your new TV. When you want to use the other device, unplug the first device and plug in the second device.)

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:07 am

The five different colored plugs are for component cables. You can purchase a component cable for your Wii like http://www.amazon.com/DragonPad-Component-Cable-Wii-Packaging-Nintendo/dp/B000M4KIME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417532738&sr=8-2&keywords=wii+component+cable. It will work and allow you to have access for your DVD player. Plus, you'll get a slightly better picture quality.

Debs1973
Black Friday Pro

Postby Debs1973 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:11 am

Can you hook your Wii up by HDMI (not sure if the old one can) would be pretty cheap just to grab an HDMI cable?

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Thanks so much! Okay, so I picked up the Blu ray player I mentioned above, and an HDMI cable, so everything is hooked up.

But...here is another question. I have an old shelf stereo, nothing fancy, like my old dvd player, I've had it forever. I had it hooked up to the old dvd player for audio. Any idea what wire I'd need to hook it up to the tv if we wanted to use the stereo? It'll be the next thing I replace when I have the extra $$.

Can you use a HDMI cable for the Wii? I wasn't sure, I read conflicting info on the net. If I can, and it would make a quality difference, then I'll pick up a cable for it instead of the component 3 plug wire.

Again, I appreciate the help with this. BTW, we do have a switch box for our old 19" tv that was in my son's room, it's so old it didn't even have the 3-plug component hook up :lol:
I ended up putting it in my bedroom with our old wii & dvd player, and it works great. Picture still has great quality.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:38 pm

The original Wii doesn't have official HDMI support. There are unofficial 3rd party Wii-AV-to-HDMI adapters or component/composite-to-HDMI adapters you could buy if you really wanted to do it. However, the original Wii doesn't have high definition graphics, so there is no real benefit for using HDMI.

I'm not sure what audio outputs your new television or Blu-ray player have. My new television has an optical digital audio output, and my Blu-ray player has a coaxial digital audio output. To connect either of these to an older stereo with analog inputs, I would need to buy an adapter to convert the digital audio to the old red-white RCA inputs.

Again, you are running into the problem where using old technology with new technology might require inconvenient workarounds.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:34 pm

Shopper X wrote:The original Wii doesn't have official HDMI support. There are unofficial 3rd party Wii-AV-to-HDMI adapters or component/composite-to-HDMI adapters you could buy if you really wanted to do it. However, the original Wii doesn't have high definition graphics, so there is no real benefit for using HDMI.

I'm not sure what audio outputs your new television or Blu-ray player have. My new television has an optical digital audio output, and my Blu-ray player has a coaxial digital audio output. To connect either of these to an older stereo with analog inputs, I would need to buy an adapter to convert the digital audio to the old red-white RCA inputs.

Again, you are running into the problem where using old technology with new technology might require inconvenient workarounds.

Thanks so much! I had read conflicting info on the Wii being HDMI compatible, so I won't even bother with that.
I will see what the tv has, and I may just opt to get a soundbar, or something else that I can hook up to it. The tv has good speakers IMO for being a cheaper model, but I pretty much can't hear out of my left ear anymore, so I like being able to turn the stereo on so I can actually understand what I am hearing.

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:25 am

There is a decent chance your TV has RCA outputs for sound (red and white). Those will probably plug into your current stereo.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:30 pm

The only 2 plugs that aren't being used are red and blue. I really don't want to have to purchase a soundbar or new stereo if I can help it :? I forgot how costly that stuff can be lol.

saladdays
Black Friday Pro

Postby saladdays » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:37 pm

azerigold wrote:The only 2 plugs that aren't being used are red and blue. I really don't want to have to purchase a soundbar or new stereo if I can help it :? I forgot how costly that stuff can be lol.

I assume that red one you are talking about is the "Pb/Cr" component connection (which is adjacent to the blue). What do you have hooked up to the white/red AV inputs and the green "Y"? The Wii?

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:59 pm

saladdays wrote:
azerigold wrote:The only 2 plugs that aren't being used are red and blue. I really don't want to have to purchase a soundbar or new stereo if I can help it :? I forgot how costly that stuff can be lol.

I assume that red one you are talking about is the "Pb/Cr" component connection (which is adjacent to the blue). What do you have hooked up to the white/red AV inputs and the green "Y"? The Wii?

Yep, we have the Wii plugged into the white/red and I believe green inputs.

saladdays
Black Friday Pro

Postby saladdays » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:49 am

azerigold wrote:
saladdays wrote:

Yep, we have the Wii plugged into the white/red and I believe green inputs.

It seems like it will depend on what connections you have on your stereo. Are you wanting everything to run out of the stereo (DVD, Wii, and TV)?

Return to “Off Topic”