Post Your Annual Black Friday Traditions

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Post Your Annual Black Friday Traditions

Postby cinemike16 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Before and after last year's earlier (6pm) start time, what traditional thing do you do every year on the biggest/busiest shopping day of the year?

Mine is making a "midnight run" usually not getting home until around noon Friday. Starting at Kmart, then Walmart, Best Buy, Walmart #2, Sears, Kmart #2, grab a bite to eat and/or cup of coffee, hit up Game Stop, B&N, and other specialty stores. The last couple years the only things I've gone out for are DVDs, Blu-rays, and PS3 games.

This year, I'm introducing my 9 y/o to the madness so I'm curious if she'll slow me down or make getting everything easier (more hands, smaller body to filter through crowds haha). It'll be Thanksgiving dinner by 6pm, relax til 9 and shop from 10pm - 3am, sleep in the car from 3-4am, grab a bite to eat, then hit up the 5am stores(there's always at least one).

edit : Seeing the ads trickle in, I'm thinking about keeping it simple this year. Walmart, Best Buy, Sears, then Target. Grab a bite to eat and/or cup of coffee/cocoa, then hit up a couple specialty stores (Gamestop, B&N, Staples?) Completely skipping Kmart this year, for the first time ever.
Last edited by cinemike16 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momof583
Black Friday Pro

Re: Post Your Annual Black Friday Traditions

Postby momof583 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Before me and the hubs leaving the house super early and getting in our waiting spots in the stores.Him trying to get video games and me toys. Talking to fellow hardcore BF shoppers hitting up Wal-Mart,Target,Toysrus,and Walgreens. Then going to Mcdonalds for some breakfast.
Now we do the same however we have to fight the crowds more and I don't too much with the fellow shoppers since most are not hardcore BF shoppers. And I also don't hit as many stores and we don't And we don't get to eat breakfast. I sure miss the old times but maybe we will make a new tradition.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:25 am

My wife always works Thanksgiving so..

I get up in the morning and watch the parade with my boys. Then I usually head to the city to Big Lots, Walgreen, and any other little store that's open in the morning to knock those out of the way. Then about noon'ish, my in-laws come get the boys to take them to the family dinner/ get together. I lie down and pretend I am going to take a nap which I never do. About 3 I will get up, and head to Walmart for their sale while stopping at Sheetz MTO for a quick dinner to eat on my drive there.

After Walmart, I will come home to unload and pick up my wife since she'll be getting home from work then. Then we head to the city again to start our shopping. Ending it with a breakfast at Cracker Barrel. :)
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:46 am

I'm not really sure if I have one..... since the store hours change each year it kinda changes everything around.
2 years ago when the stores opening at staggering times was nice because there was a big break between target and other store so my friend and i were able to go to village inn and get something to eat before heading to midnight stores.

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:33 am

Since Black Friday is now Thanksgiving day, things have changed a little bit. We have always been flexible with it but now we just eat around 2 so we can fit everything in. As for shopping, it is usually me and my husband. We try to plan and prioritize what we want the most and head to one of our local Walmart stores about an hour or so before the sales start and get in line. We usually divide and conquer. I usually hit the video games section and he tackles the electronics or housewares depending on what we are in the market for. We have a plan to meet back at a certain spot in the middle and combine carts. The last few years, it has been surprisingly organized and the checkouts have been fast. With the new staggered times, it makes it easier to get what you want and not miss out. If the times are like last year, we will head home for leftovers, and then head back out around 10 or 11 for some other stores. If Home Depot has something good, we will probably go back there when they open, usually at 5am which means sleeping in something we can get up and go in. It is usually fast so we are back home for breakfast with the family by the time the sun is up. We usually all head back out to Walmart/Target and a few other stores around 8am on Friday to get anything else we want or may have missed. Its not unusual for us to hit at least 3 Walmart stores. It sounds so ridiculous when I actually write it all down but it is so much fun! I do miss napping on Thanksgiving day so I could get up extra early for the true BF sales.

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:36 am

BeachGirlShops wrote:Since Black Friday is now Thanksgiving day, things have changed a little bit. We have always been flexible with it but now we just eat around 2 so we can fit everything in. As for shopping, it is usually me and my husband. We try to plan and prioritize what we want the most and head to one of our local Walmart stores about an hour or so before the sales start and get in line. We usually divide and conquer. I usually hit the video games section and he tackles the electronics or housewares depending on what we are in the market for. We have a plan to meet back at a certain spot in the middle and combine carts. The last few years, it has been surprisingly organized and the checkouts have been fast. With the new staggered times, it makes it easier to get what you want and not miss out. If the times are like last year, we will head home for leftovers, and then head back out around 10 or 11 for some other stores. If Home Depot has something good, we will probably go back there when they open, usually at 5am which means sleeping in something we can get up and go in. It is usually fast so we are back home for breakfast with the family by the time the sun is up. We usually all head back out to Walmart/Target and a few other stores around 8am on Friday to get anything else we want or may have missed. Its not unusual for us to hit at least 3 Walmart stores. It sounds so ridiculous when I actually write it all down but it is so much fun! I do miss napping on Thanksgiving day so I could get up extra early for the true BF sales.

I know there are 2 new Walmarts there on 17, but it seemed the one on Dick Pond Rd was always super super busy. Is that still the case? Is that Walmart still a madhouse? Especially being across from from a Target now.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:54 am

teknoge3k wrote:
BeachGirlShops wrote:Since Black Friday is now Thanksgiving day, things have changed a little bit. We have always been flexible with it but now we just eat around 2 so we can fit everything in. As for shopping, it is usually me and my husband. We try to plan and prioritize what we want the most and head to one of our local Walmart stores about an hour or so before the sales start and get in line. We usually divide and conquer. I usually hit the video games section and he tackles the electronics or housewares depending on what we are in the market for. We have a plan to meet back at a certain spot in the middle and combine carts. The last few years, it has been surprisingly organized and the checkouts have been fast. With the new staggered times, it makes it easier to get what you want and not miss out. If the times are like last year, we will head home for leftovers, and then head back out around 10 or 11 for some other stores. If Home Depot has something good, we will probably go back there when they open, usually at 5am which means sleeping in something we can get up and go in. It is usually fast so we are back home for breakfast with the family by the time the sun is up. We usually all head back out to Walmart/Target and a few other stores around 8am on Friday to get anything else we want or may have missed. Its not unusual for us to hit at least 3 Walmart stores. It sounds so ridiculous when I actually write it all down but it is so much fun! I do miss napping on Thanksgiving day so I could get up extra early for the true BF sales.

I know there are 2 new Walmarts there on 17, but it seemed the one on Dick Pond Rd was always super super busy. Is that still the case? Is that Walmart still a madhouse? Especially being across from from a Target now.

That whole area is a giant CF! Now there is a Kohl's, Lowes, Target, and Walmart all in that general area. That particular Walmart is always busy and I usually only hit that one for after holiday sales. The new one they built on 17 that just opened this Summer is a marketplace so it won't help with any BF sales. We really are loaded up on Walmart stores. We have at least 7. Surprisingly, that new Target is never really busy!

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Short version: 7 years of 1st in line tailgating lol.

Long version: search the forums for us or our social media. Lol. Tradition is something wrapped up in family and friends time. We view Thanksgiving and Black Friday as one holiday. We actually haven't been "Black Friday Shoppers" in a while. We just love tailgating and figure it gives all of us an excuse to have a ton of fun on a sidewalk and get a community involved in something positive since many view BF as borderline pagan. Lol
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:41 am

New circumstances call for new traditions!

I usually go out very early Friday morning by myself. The past few years, we just load up as a family and go as early as we can, knowing we may miss some deals. We've done a lot of online shopping. Well, this year may be different and I am not sure how it's going to happen. I may go out alone very early and then go back for the rest of the crew. My mom recently moved in with us. She is nearly 80 and had been living near Seattle by herself. She has been having health and financial issues. No other family member had the room to bring her in and my closest sibling is already caring for her in-laws and a grandson while managing the accounts of the family business. My niece checked in on her frequently, but is working full time a few towns away. My other siblings are spread out across the states. As a team, we finally convinced my mom to move in with us in Minnesota. My siblings helped with the move, financially and with all the packing, but it was still a big expense. She has a lot of stuff she didn't want to part with and we felt letting her keep it would help with the move. So a big truck was needed! A week before we were scheduled to come get her, she had a very bad fall. Her face ended up looking like she'd lost a boxing match and she pulled muscles in her hip/leg. It scared us all and only reinforced our thoughts that she shouldn't be alone. It did help us get seated first in many restaurants on our trip back though :lol:

So basically, I have no idea how we're going to do BF this year. My mom likes to shop, but she is fragile and slow. BF crowds are no place for someone like this. She refuses to use a wheelchair (grr...stubborn old dear!) so tentatively, we may take her out shopping on BF afternoon when the crowds have thinned. If there is a doorbuster she wants, I can brave the crowds early and try to get it for her.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:54 pm

No real traditions...I used to always go alone but now oldest is a teen and goes with. I did way more online last year than ever before so big item was taken care of that way and she and I weren't under any "real pressure" to find it in store.

MMarinucci21
Black Friday Pro

Postby MMarinucci21 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Every year it changes. But, we always eat dinner at 2pm, early I know but my father always works on Thanksgiving and that is the time he gets home. It really depends what stores have what we are looking for. Last year, my husband and I broke tradition and went BF shopping in Florida, at an outlet mall. We've never done that before. We usually stick to Walmart, Target and Kohls. But, it was awesome. We got more than we thought, no huge crowds and still went to Walmart and Target and got everything we wanted. I have to say is was by far the best BF experience ever. I'm trying to get excited this year, but with stores opening on Thanksgiving day earlier, that takes the fun out of getting up at 2am on BF to start shopping. Looks like I won't be getting any sleep this year!

Return to “Off Topic”