Target: 40M card accounts may be breached

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Re: Target: 40M card accounts may be breached

Postby jeanerz13 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 pm

I didn't shop at target during the time frame. In fact, I don't think I've shopped there since my bank card was replaced after the Schnucks hacking incident. I usually only shop at Target on Black Friday.

Today I got an email from Target about information being stolen...I'm trying to figure out how THEY (Target) got my email. I don't have a Red Card, I've never purchased from them online, and I don't remember ever signing up with them for anything in store... Hmmm...

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:18 pm

jeanerz13 wrote:I didn't shop at target during the time frame. In fact, I don't think I've shopped there since my bank card was replaced after the Schnucks hacking incident. I usually only shop at Target on Black Friday.

Today I got an email from Target about information being stolen...I'm trying to figure out how THEY (Target) got my email. I don't have a Red Card, I've never purchased from them online, and I don't remember ever signing up with them for anything in store... Hmmm...

that is most likely a spam/phishing email attempt. I have received about 25 of them in an account I dont even use anymore. you need to delete that one and any future ones regarding this.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 am

Kento87 wrote:
jeanerz13 wrote:I didn't shop at target during the time frame. In fact, I don't think I've shopped there since my bank card was replaced after the Schnucks hacking incident. I usually only shop at Target on Black Friday.

that is most likely a spam/phishing email attempt. I have received about 25 of them in an account I dont even use anymore. you need to delete that one and any future ones regarding this.

Kinda figured. That's what the "Hmmm" was about.

cinemike16
Black Friday Pro

Postby cinemike16 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Kento87 wrote:

Add me to the list of recipients of phishing attempts referring the Target breach. I don't even shop at Target, I think the last time I stepped foot in a store was 10 years ago and it was always cash transactions. Automatic click of the spam button on Gmail + delete (which is done simultaneously) takes care of that crap :P

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:21 pm

always hover over any links in emails to see where they go before you click!! you can usually tell the difference between legit and non-legit URLs.

usually if it's a spam email all of the URLs will go to the same place, even ones like email addresses.

jeanerz13
Black Friday Pro

Postby jeanerz13 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:07 am

bfaddict wrote:always hover over any links in emails to see where they go before you click!! you can usually tell the difference between legit and non-legit URLs.

usually if it's a spam email all of the URLs will go to the same place, even ones like email addresses.

Problem is on my mobile email the select button (so I can choose to delete) is right next to the click to open the email. So I fat finger it sometimes when I mean to delete without reading. Ah well. Probably means I should get another email app but whatever.

Return to “Off Topic”