streaming tv?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

streaming tv?

Postby azerigold » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:56 pm

I was wondering if there are any inexpensive, but good alternatives to satellite/cable. I know there are things like Roku and Rabbit tv, etc. But what is the best and most affordable one?
We get about 2-3 local channels lol

We decided to get rid of dish network, they kept increasing the bill so much we decided it wasn't worth having, especially since hubby and the kids watch Netflix more than they were watching satellite.

We watch it through our Wii on the tv, and kids have their tablets. Planning to get Hulu again soon for some of the tv shows we like.

So is it better to just stick with Netflix/hulu, or ?

Please keep in mind we are not big tv watchers, but do enjoy some of the fall tv shows.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Re: streaming tv?

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:12 pm

i just saw something for a chrome streamer thing??? it looked pretty cool and only $30!
looks like a little flash drive that you plug into your HDMI port and it works just like a roku or any other streaming device.

can't remember which ad it was though.... :?

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:50 pm

bestbuy has chrome cast for $5 off on black friday. But chromecast basicly just streams things from your other devices like a computer or smartphone to the tv. If you are willing to pull up what you want on a computer or mobile device first that chromecast might work for you but I would count on it doing all that you may want it to.

one thing you can check out as for getting content on your PC or android mobile device is to download XBMC and read up on how to install 1Channel on it to stream movies as well as tv shows (even a few live tv channels).
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

PokeMeg
Black Friday Pro

Postby PokeMeg » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Hulu I believe has the new shows updated weekly. So if you want to keep current on shows that would be a better idea.

We only stream shows--but we do get basic cable channels because we have cable internet. I'm not really sure how it works but we don't pay for it, we just plugged in cable line to the tv. I don't question it...hah!

I miss cable sometimes, but we enjoy Netflix & Amazon Prime shows via xbox.
"Every flight begins with a fall", the crow said. "Look down."

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks everyone! I think we may just stick with getting Hulu on top of having Netflix.
I think if we can get a better antenna, we can probably pick up more of the local channels, so maybe look into that instead? I want us to be able to use the wii for the front room tv, I don't want anything going through my computer ;)

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:01 pm

azerigold wrote:Thanks everyone! I think we may just stick with getting Hulu on top of having Netflix.
I think if we can get a better antenna, we can probably pick up more of the local channels, so maybe look into that instead? I want us to be able to use the wii for the front room tv, I don't want anything going through my computer ;)

there are some antennas on monoprice that claim you can get more channels with them. maybe something to look into. i tried one when i was without cable once. it didn't work for me but i didn't not have a clear shot from my house to the sky. my friend also tried it and it didn't work for them either. and it was a very easy return process.

bogart
Black Friday Pro

Postby bogart » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:31 am

I cut the cord about 3 years ago, and I would recommend a Roku to anyone in a heartbeat. I think Walmart will have the basic Roku for $39.99, which has been good enough for me.

I'm tempted to try Google's ChomeCast-- $35, but I think it's a bit too new...I think I'll wait for the next version.

Vols44
Black Friday Pro

Postby Vols44 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:54 am

I cut the cord two months ago and will offer my .02.

Bought a Roku 3 and hardwired it from my router. HD programming takes up 3mb and standard def 1.5. Like the remote with an earjack feature not available on previous models. The Apple TV and Chromecast weren't as attractive. The additional channels on the Roku give a viewer hundreds of options. I'll PM a site to those interested (no subscription cost).

Hulu might be better than Hulu Plus. Ads, weekly versus monthly waits for new shows and the content will vary. I recommend trying a week's free trial to see if it's worth 7.99 per month.

The type of OTA HD antenna will depending on your geographical location. Go to antennaweb.org (non profit, zero ads or spam) and see where your situated. A 360 (omnidirectional) device will give you worry-free reception. A cost basis rule of thumb is one dollar for every mile away you want to receive a signal. A website that feeds companies that sell their products can be found via a simple search for "HD ota antenna top 10 reviews".

Ask away on cord cutting options while I still have the research in my short term memory.

MzTaylor
Black Friday Newbie

Postby MzTaylor » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:11 pm

TV station websites like ABC and CBS will allow you to watch eposides of their current season's shows online through a computer. However, I can not get it to work on our PS3 due to the flash player. Are you able to watch current episodes that are on the TV station's websites through the Roku???

Return to “Off Topic”