Dollar stores

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, ikey2, Tony, cematra173, killasnake, Huy

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Dollar stores

Postby Shopper X » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Does anyone else like shopping at dollar stores? I'm talking about real dollar stores like Dollar Tree and 99 Cents Only Stores where every item is priced at $1.00 or less. The technical term is "single price point retailers". (I'm not talking about "fake" dollar stores that just deceptively happen to have the word "dollar" in their name like Family Dollar and Dollar General.)

There are some things that I will always buy at the dollar store, like hand sanitizer gel, kitchen utensils, and other household items. However, there are some things that I will never buy at the dollar store, like food made in China, pharmaceuticals of unknown provenance, and tissues (which I can get for less at the supermarket). I think that my best purchases have been: 8-inch chefs knives, CAT-5 network cables, and bottles of hot sauce like Tapatio and Louisiana Gold. My local Dollar Tree even now sells refrigerated and frozen food, though one of the items was "imitation cream cheese".

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Re: Dollar stores

Postby lwmjr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:24 pm

Awesome orange, and the other awesome spray cleaners, wire brushes, stuff like that
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Haha, imitation cream cheese LOL

I do like those stores. I go occasionally and always find neat things or things we need. There isn't one real close by, although I do think they have a little bitty one that just opened in town that I'd like to check out. Especially with the holidays coming up, I'm always looking for things the kids can put together for teacher gifts, family gifts, etc.

I like buying aluminum pans from the dollar stores when I have to do a lot of cooking, etc.

I really need to shop them more often, and again check out the new store in town. Otherwise all we have here are some small novelty type stores, Kroger, Kmart, Dollar General, Family Dollar and a five and dime shop.

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:32 pm

I do. I bought my nieces bday present there and at the thrift store. For under $15 I got her an old navy purse and filled it with sunglasses, a hairbrush with ponytail holders, nail polish and file and nail gems and a yo-yo and glow sticks. I don't get to go to the dollar tree often because it isn't very close but I love to see what I can find there. One year each person in my family took $4 and bought one present for each other person to put in our stockings. That was fun. Toys seem to be very prominent in the one where we are.
BF nut in training!

harleygirl6363
Black Friday Pro

Postby harleygirl6363 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 pm

I most definetly shop at dollar stores. Statistically speaking its the best place to buy gift wrap stuff!! I also buy my coffee mugs there they are super heavy duty and big I love them. Storage containers and a few other things, never food, never drugs just my own personal opinion.

LarandaW
Black Friday Pro

Postby LarandaW » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:12 am

Love Dollar Tree. I get party supplies there, Foil Pans, some Holiday decorations ---Christmas Tins I use to fill with candy/cookies when visitors stop by, LOVE their Christmas Gift Bags & some of the wrapping paper, stocking stuffers etc. :)

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:32 am

Just christmas/birthday gift wrap, saran wrap, and storage containers.

cmac1337
Black Friday Pro

Postby cmac1337 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:58 am

I may or may not be an Assistant Manager at a Dollar Tree here in Alabama.

A lot of the stuff is a fairly good bargin. Going along with the majority of people's comments here...I'd stay away from the bulk of the food products (and for the stores that have frozen product, always check it) because it's either stuff that is processed to high heaven or is an imitation product. The party supplies and cleaning supplies are all good deals (comparitively speaking) and are about the same quality you'd find elsewhere for the most part. Seasonal stuff (especially for people with office jobs or places where they want to do a small seasonal thing without spending a fortune) sells a lot and some of the Christmas that comes in is actually kinda cool.

All that to say this, Dollar Trees are hit and miss. Depending on how big the ones are in your area, find out when their truck day is and come back the day after or sometime around there. If any good food product (like on occasion a truck might receive huge boxes of cereal that is a new push or promo buy...or for example this week the truck received v8 fusions at 2/$1.00) comes in it will sell quickly so snag it while you can. Employees will always get 1st dibs ;)

Anyway, hope this at least provides another viewpoint or "insider's perspective"
We Call Ourselves the "Black Friday Tailgaters (BF Tailgaters)"

1st in Line at Best Buy Store #1446 in Fultondale, AL for 7 straight years.

Follow/Like Us On Our Social Pages!

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

Vine

teknoge3k
Forum geek

Postby teknoge3k » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:39 am

We buy Sunday newspapers at the dollar store since they're cheaper. That's about it.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:53 am

I do pans, cleanings, plastic containers, and gift bag/balloons/general party stuff from the dollar tree.

cleanings lol its early not enough coffee yet cleaners

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:08 am

We have Dollar Tree stores around here. Sometimes you can luck on some good things. Last year they had Glade holiday scented candles and honored mfg coupons making them .25 each. I like some of the cleaning supplies but I really like their party stuff including the mylar balloons. They have a pretty good greeting card section too. I think they carry their brand for 2/$1 and now American Greetings for $1 which is a lot cheaper than most places.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:30 am

Wrapping paper and some holiday decorations and window clings. We feed a lot of birds in the winter and they tend to fly into our windows. Those vinyl window clings have saved a lot of little birdie lives!

Sometimes they have nice crochet thread.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:32 am

teknoge3k wrote:We buy Sunday newspapers at the dollar store since they're cheaper. That's about it.

:lol:
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

guitarist19862005
Black Friday Pro

Postby guitarist19862005 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:40 am

Sometimes we get better deals at the bigger box stores than the dollar stores. YMMV.

candycanegirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby candycanegirl » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:07 am

I usually get gift bags & a few other things. Our Dollar Tree is ok...it's not very big & I wish we had a better one. Our Family Dollar is pretty good, even though it's a fake dollar store.

Return to “Off Topic”