Ridiculous or not?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, hiker, lwmjr, ikey2

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Ridiculous or not?

Postby azerigold » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Some users might remember I've had lousy luck with my SUV for a while.

Anyway, over a month ago it started running rough, I mean REALLY rough, if you idled at all it was vibrating, spitting, sputtering, just awful.
Didn't drive it unless I absolutely had too.
Hubby changed cap, plugs and wires and it seemed to run worse -> you could tell it felt 'bogged down' -- no pick up and go, and you really had to put your foot down on the gas, when usually it's easy going.
Now, only 1 plug my husband couldn't get out.

Took it to a shop Mon eve last week. I called 1x on Tues, Wed, and Fri, and each day was told they'd try to look at it that day.
On Wed I gave them my cell # and told them to call it <had given hubby's # because my cell was damaged/had to get it replaced>. He said he had it and would call.
Fri evening he was supposed to call, nothing.

Mon I call and he said he tried to call on Fri. Uh, obviously he didn't call ME, so he didn't even write down the #!
He said he was sure it was the distributor cap and that he'd like to order a new one & plugs <name brand type stuff>. I told him I really didn't think it was the distributor cap. I felt it was something else, and hinted I'd like him to start somewhere else, and he was stuck on wanting to change that cap.
So...

We picked it up that afternoon.
He charged us $150 and told me I should drive it on the highway/interstate and push it see if that works out the issue after having all that stuff changed.
It was running bad, and inner instinct told me the only place it was going was home!

Took it to another shop yesterday evening, they looked at this morning, called by 10am and said they found the problem.
INJECTORS and REGULATOR GAGE.
He asked if I had been driving it much, I told him no, I was trying not to drive it because I was afraid it would make it worse.
He said good, because it was BAD, he said the injectors are pulling too much fuel on the drivers side bank, all 3 plugs on that side are already fried. He said he'd known of cases this bad where it can cause a fire!!!

I am so mad about the other mechanic and him charging us so much and he didn't do anything! He changed '1' plug and said it took an hour to get it out. I'm sorry but I just don't believe that. Then the diagnosis.
He had it a week, and his diagnosis was just a guess! I could have taken it anywhere to get the codes for free.
In fact, I did take it to Auto Zone weeks ago and they told me the codes and that it was misfiring on all cylinders on one side, but I couldn't remember every detail he'd told me.

I called the mechanic told him what the other shop found out, and told him I'd like a refund of at least 1/2 of the $$, and he said he earned his $$, etc. I am still thinking.... HOW? By guessing? I told him he had it for 7 days, and the other shop had it for less than a day/only worked on it for an hour or so. He said he had other cars not just mine to work on, etc.
That he didn't spend all that time working on our vehicle.
Still how did it take the other shop so little time to find the problem? ya know?

I left reviews on sites like yahoo, google, and yellow pages. I also filed a complaint with BBB.

Am I being unreasonable, or should I be as mad as I am? I really feel like we've been ripped off!

On top of that, his bad advice! Telling me to get it out on the interstate and floor it! The thing is running on 3 cylinders and has no power and struggles! It seems to be going through gas really badly too. But could have caused someone to get hurt!

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Re: Ridiculous or not?

Postby BFriGirl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:37 pm

Mechanics suck! IMHO we got ripped off this last week as well. You aren't being ridiculous. Or if you are then I was being crazy with how I reacted in our situation. If they do that then you should file a complaint at the very least. Hopefully you aren't stuck with a $169 groupon you don't feel safe using at least.
BF nut in training!

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:11 pm

not ridiculous at all! glad you tried to get some money back. not surprised he didn't budge.
i know $150 isn't chump change but i'm glad that's all he got out of you. probably could have been way worse with a thief like him.

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Postby teknoge3k » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:33 pm

Hopefully the BBB complaint will get you somewhere. Companies don't like a bad BBB rating. You can also file a complaint with the DMV.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

Ran_Eric09
Black Friday Pro

Postby Ran_Eric09 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:48 pm

Wow, how crazy! Stories like these always make me so thankful I am married to a mechanic!

noahark21
Black Friday Pro

Postby noahark21 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:36 pm

I don't think you're being ridiculous at all. IMHO he didn't EARN it at all!!!

BFriGirl
Black Friday Pro

Postby BFriGirl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:41 pm

azerigold wrote:We picked it up that afternoon.
He charged us $150 and told me I should drive it on the highway/interstate and push it see if that works out the issue after having all that stuff changed.
It was running bad, and inner instinct told me the only place it was going was home!

I missed that part the first time. Sorry you got screwed out of that much too especially right before the holidays. I hope you found a good mechanic the second time. There are good ones out there they are just few and far between.
BF nut in training!

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:22 pm

Tell him you would be glad to take him to small claims court. His crappy advice could have cost the lives of your kids if you had followed it. Chris truck did have similar problem and it was the cause of the fire July 4 last year.
Steff
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 pm

You have every right to be angry. We are really fortunate to have found a small local shop with a great reputation.

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks Everyone! Whew, I was fuming mad earlier and so mad about it last night, I kept thinking he ripped us off. Takes a lot to make me feel that way.
I will contact the DMV, I did file a complaint with BBB asking for at least 1/2 of the $$ back.
I keep thinking I am so thankful I trust my instinct! That little voice inside my head that has really been a blessing lol
I knew it wasn't right, and wasn't safe. I even begged my husband to drive it to the shop in the next town over because I was afraid to drive it!

Good news is, the 2nd mechanic that we took it too that diagnosed it, also had it fixed by 4:30pm and was ready to go! But we have to wait until after my husband gets off work tomorrow to pick it up.

Sadly, it's a huge bill, right about $600 :( But with needing new plugs, etc. it was average price w/other shops.

On top of this, it does have a leak that is getting the passenger side floorboard wet. We had bypassed the heater core in the spring thinking it was that, but it's definitely not the heater. We hooked it back up the other day, and works great, WHEW.

We were told a drain is probably clogged up and draining into the floorboard, so I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they'd charge to take care of that.

Hopefully after that, all it needs is new tires.
It's nothing fancy of a vehicle, it cleans up nice inside, but I use it for hauling hay occasionally from the farmer down the rd. <I can fit six bales at a time inside lol>, sometimes goats, then the kids, and anything else that comes along. So it's kind of our little mini 'farm' vehicle.
Problems really started when we started pulling a trailer last summer. I really think now, we should have given it a full tune up before we started using the trailer.
Planning to possibly sell the trailer and get one that is a little bit lighter weight for next year -- my kids show goats in 4-H.
I want a truck, but I don't want a monthly payment, we just have too much else going on.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 pm

$600 for injectors etc, not bad at all Chris' was 2600$.
steffsbags@ymail.com

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:21 pm

Happy to hear, its working out for you, It looked like quite the fiasco.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Wow Steff that is crazy! :( So sorry, that is a lot of $$.
So far nothing on this vehicle seems to be a cheap fix. After paying this we will have had about $1500 in it just this year! New head gaskets in March, new hub on the drivers side in April, and then the cap, button, plugs, and wires. Now the injector/regulator and more plugs.
I wanted to get 'new tires' all the way around, as I had a nasty blow out in July and it caused some fender damage behind the rear drivers side tire :( But, I will probably have to settle with some good used tires for a while. There is a good shop that we can get them from.

I am wondering though, meant to ask the mechanic... does an evap sensor have anything to do with the injectors? The check engine light has been on for years for that sensor but I was told by mechanics to ignore it.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:26 pm

evap sensor shouldn't have anything to do with injectors we avg about 6K a year in work on his truck, but we can write off a good portion of it because its the work truck...
steffsbags@ymail.com

azerigold
Black Friday Pro

Postby azerigold » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:30 pm

That's good that you can write it off, otherwise I could see that being a major pain!
We want to get rid of the SUV, but at the same time, we've put so much work into it... We've had it 7 years. Had 86,000 miles when we bought it, and now just over 117,000. So I don't drive a whole lot. If we could get it running good, and be able to put the trailer behind it then I'd be just happy with it. I'm going to get the mechanics thoughts on it and go from there.
I'd love to get one of those lightweight low profile goat/sheep trailers to put behind it, but they are hard to find used and can be expensive. My budget wouldn't stretch that far. The trailer we use is a 6x8 livestock trailer, it's steel so it's a bit heavy, but even with the goats it shouldn't weigh more than 2000lbs.

Return to “Off Topic”