Feedback on Pet Lost/Found site.

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: ikey2, teknoge3k, Tony, cematra173, Huy, killasnake

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Feedback on Pet Lost/Found site.

Postby MikesTooLz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:58 am

a few weeks back I was at a town hall meeting where they were discussing the need for a lost/found pet website. They said they had been asking the local city to come up with a site for instant posting of lost/found pets and it had been over 5 years without any seeing anything. I decided to go ahead and make one for the local county where I live, do far the people who have seen it have said they really like it.

If you have a minute, check it out and give me some feedback. What part of the site do you like best and do you have any suggestions of ideas for things that should be added or changed.

http://www.MiamiDadeLostPets.com
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> Follow me on Twitter <-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)
(¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.-> βĹĂČĶ ŦŔĨĎĂŶ<-.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯)

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Re: Feedback on Pet Lost/Found site.

Postby lwmjr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 am

I think its perfect. Looks like you put a lot of hard work into this.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:05 pm

lwmjr wrote:I think its perfect. Looks like you put a lot of hard work into this.

Thanks, yeah I got it up and running within 2 days and have been tweaking it and adding/changing it little by little for the last few weeks. Now we focusing on getting the word out about the site to all the locals, the mayor of my city is going to be sending out a notice to all of the residents. Another city near by has already place a link to it on the official city website.

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:28 pm

That's AWESOME Mike! Great job!

We have a few different local facebook pages that people post lost/found pets on here where I live. I've seen numerous people reunited with their pets on through those pages!

BeachGirlShops
Black Friday Pro

Postby BeachGirlShops » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Looks good. What a great idea too. We have FB and Craigslist around here. Nothing this nice.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:18 pm

such a great idea!! our local shelter has one on facebook and it has helped so many people find their pets.

MikesTooLz
Black Friday Pro

Postby MikesTooLz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Yeah I have the site connected to a facebook and twitter page as well. Reports automaticly get sent out to the social networks.

Kaelha
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kaelha » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:36 pm

MikesTooLz wrote:Yeah I have the site connected to a facebook and twitter page as well. Reports automaticly get sent out to the social networks.

That's great. Nice job on the site.

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm

awesome job!!!!

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Just a few thoughts:

- The site might be easier to scan if you were to use color to differentiate between "lost" and "found", perhaps some subtle color shading in the background of each type of entry.
- A thumbnail gallery of photos might be visually appealing and make it easier for someone to find a pet by just glancing at a page full of photos. I'm thinking of a mosaic/collage of thumbnail photos, sort of like the FBI's Most Wanted list. One for lost and another for found.
- The dates seem to be missing on some views. For example, search for "bulldog". The resulting page has entries with times but no dates.
- A way to view just lost pets and just found pets. A page containing just lost pets.
- Perhaps improved navigation on the main page. The main buttons would be "report lost", "view lost", "report found", "view found". Then smaller, lesser buttons would be for alerts, links, etc.
- Consider removing adoption stuff from the site. It's a nice thought, but it's outside the scope/mission of the web site and dilutes its effectiveness. Better to focus on and excel at one thing.
- Option to view a text list of lost pets? Just text?
- A map with pushpin labels indicating lost and found pets? Google Maps?
- Some way to indicate age of posts, other than just listing the date. Perhaps labels like "3 days ago", "4 weeks ago", etc. Or perhaps some use of color/brightness.
- A way to obfuscate email addresses and other contact information? Perhaps behind a CAPTCHA. Perhaps an anonymous email relay like Craigslist.
- If the site has the endorsement/blessing of your county or other governmental agencies, put that information and logos somewhere on the front page to make the site look more official and legitimate.

lwmjr
Evil, demented & twisted

Postby lwmjr » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Just curious, if your having any luck with your site.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

Return to “Off Topic”