Telephone Scam

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, hiker, lwmjr, ikey2

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Telephone Scam

Postby lwmjr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:52 am

Got a call from "windows support" from a barely English speaking person. Telling me my computer is infected with virus's and mal ware, my windows is sending out corrupt data, and has alerted them to illegal activity on my computer, and they are going to have to shut it down, unless I use their technical support,

I simply replied, that I am using an MAC computer.

the line went dead.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Telephone Scam

Postby teknoge3k » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:01 am

Sadly this is a popular scam and it works on the older people. I just fixed a computer last week where the person had used that service (and they paid the fee). Needless to say they were out $XXX and had a virus.
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:03 am

I head about the FBI scams, Didn't know they were actually making phone calls.
Just here to have fun, keep the bad guys out, and give the stray dogs a place to stay

ikey2
Forum Moderator

Postby ikey2 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:05 am

lwmjr wrote:I head about the FBI scams, Didn't know they were actually making phone calls.

FBI one is real easy fix. the one that is major issue right now is CryptoLocker if you get it hit hope you have backups or screwed as of right now.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:08 pm

teknoge3k wrote:Sadly this is a popular scam and it works on the older people. I just fixed a computer last week where the person had used that service (and they paid the fee). Needless to say they were out $XXX and had a virus.

I usually try to keep them on the phone as long as possible. Had one going for almost 2 hours last night. It was great.

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:02 pm

iKitsune wrote:
teknoge3k wrote:Sadly this is a popular scam and it works on the older people. I just fixed a computer last week where the person had used that service (and they paid the fee). Needless to say they were out $XXX and had a virus.

I usually try to keep them on the phone as long as possible. Had one going for almost 2 hours last night. It was great.

that's as good as setting an appt to let the siding salesman come to the house to make a sales pitch & finally letting them know that you built your own house...of course after you let them talk for an hour or so.

Also good when folks call - give the phone to a 2 year old..........

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:14 pm

this is why i don't answer my phone to unknown numbers....

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:37 pm

iKitsune wrote:

:lol:

I can think of better things to do with my time.

bfshoppermom
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfshoppermom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:48 pm

My uncle is a riot on these type of calls. My favorite:

He pretends to be very hard of hearing crotchety old man asking Huh? and What was that, again? After a few minutes of this he finally starts asking if they sell caskets and funeral plots. He insists her really needs to get the cheapest casket they can find for him and get a burial plot at a decent deal. If they stick on the line that long his punchline is "the old lady died last week and she is really stinking up the house. I've got to do something about it soon so if you aren't a good enough salesman to get me what I need then stop calling my house."

iKitsune
Black Friday Pro

Postby iKitsune » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:55 pm

lwmjr wrote:
iKitsune wrote:

I can think of better things to do with my time.

I was playing Halo at the same time. I'm working on a script in Asterisk PBX to automatically keep them going, though. After you answer and it's a scam call, say I have to "get my wife", and then dump them into this queue. I got a friend who does a really good "valley girl" voice to record the prompts for me. (and yes, I get these 2-3x a week to my various DIDs.)

It starts out "Hello?", and then waits for the caller to say something. Then selects a message that says one of "Oh, really?", "tell me more", or "Oh jeez, that sounds serious!" It then gives them some more time to talk, before playing either the sound of a child screaming in the background, a smoke alarm going off, glass breaking, or a loud crash, then says "Can you hang on just a second? I really need to check on this." or "Uh-oh, I'll be right back, if that's OK with you." It then plays a random duration of ambient house sounds, like the phone was set down. After that duration, it says either "OK, sorry about that, where were we?", or "Thanks for waiting, things are kinda crazy right now." After it lets the caller talk some more, it says "Oh... My computer takes forever to start, give me just a second" or "Hang on, I have to get the keys from my husband. He's kind of a control freak and likes to keep it turned off." It then plays another random duration ambient noise loop, followed by a Windows XP startup sound in the background, then says "OK, I'm at the desktop." After letting them talk more, it says either "I don't see that on my screen" or "Can you explain that again? I don't see that." It loops over a set of similar messages for about 15 minutes, and then does the smoke alarm / crying child / glass break again, and then goes back to the "OK, I'm at the desktop" loop.

It kept one of them talking for 4 hours 19 minutes last night, but most of them hang up after the first "disaster".

tinytim35
Black Friday Pro

Postby tinytim35 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:06 pm

I bow down to the Master iKitsune!!!

I'm not worthy...............

nippythedog
Black Friday Pro

Postby nippythedog » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:41 pm

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:37 pm

We got this call a few months ago. I figured it was a scam and hung up.

LOL, ikitsune!

lwmjr
Forum Moderator

Postby lwmjr » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:57 pm

Too bad you couldn't charge them for the call :lol:

Paladen
Black Friday Pro

Postby Paladen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:33 pm

@iKitsune

I expect to see you turn this into a program that can be run on a computer (for those that still have 56K modems) / smartphone and pitching it on Shark Tank in the near future. You'd make millions! :)

Return to “Off Topic”