Earlier next year?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: teknoge3k, hiker, lwmjr, ikey2

El Zorro
Black Friday Pro

Earlier next year?

Postby El Zorro » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:32 am

I heard on some news report that retailers may start Black Friday....or black thanksgiving or whatever you want to call it earlier next year. I myself didn't like the 8pm start....but could manage that in my head because I knew we'd be done by 5 or 6 and could head out in time. But if they were to do in store earlier next year....yeah no thanks. If they made ALL items available online at sale prices then I'd be willing to spend money while not losing out on family time. Thoughts?

teknoge3k
Forum Moderator

Re: Earlier next year?

Postby teknoge3k » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:22 am

I know everyone has their own opinion but to me, the earlier the better!
That moment you realize that Bruce Jenner is Kanye Wests' mother in-law

facebook.com/teknoge3k
twitter.com/teknoge3k

BF364
Black Friday Pro

Postby BF364 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:32 am

Personally it doesn't matter to me because I don't have much in the way of family geographically close to me (a father with Alzheimers is pretty much it, the extended family is too lazy to come here and it's too hard on Dad to go elsewhere). But I also do the most shopping for gifts (holiday or otherwise) the other 364 days of the year. I suspect I'm in the minority here though...once people are eating Thanksgiving dinner say Thursday at 10am (or heaven forbid on some other day) they will complain even louder.

One of the news anchors on CNN this AM did one hell of a rant on Black Friday and other economic issues that concern us of late but I suspect it was more for show than what she really believes.

noahark21
Black Friday Pro

Postby noahark21 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:37 pm

I hope they do NOT make the time any earlier than 8:00 because I barely had the time to cook, eat, do the dishes, look at the sales papers(hard copies), and get ready to go shopping!

barbd00
Black Friday Pro

Postby barbd00 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:22 pm

I didn't like the 10pm start times and the 8pm ones made me pretty angry. I went shopping, but it didn't interfere with my plans. If they do them even earlier, I'll not join in. Not online or in stores.

I did however like the staggered start times, so I hope stores take notice of that. I was able to hit all the major stores and doorbust most of them with the staggered start times.

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:10 pm

My thinking is they got enough of a bad rap for opening earlier this year that they won't push it any sooner. Who knows though. No matter the time I'll be there if there is something I really must have and thankfully my family will work around my craziness.

ikey2
Forum Moderator

Postby ikey2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:39 pm

teknoge3k wrote:I know everyone has their own opinion but to me, the earlier the better!

Same here. We usaally eat about noon to 1 pm so that gives us time to hang out and most people gone at 3pm.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

ikey2
Forum Moderator

Postby ikey2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:40 pm

crazymomofthree wrote:My thinking is they got enough of a bad rap for opening earlier this year that they won't push it any sooner. Who knows though. No matter the time I'll be there if there is something I really must have and thankfully my family will work around my craziness.

Don't think they get much of a bad rep due to the amount of sales and amount of more people out now in the last 3 years. Again as been said before in other threads not everyone is going to be happy, cuz it works for some and not for others.
“Every time a cash register rings, a food court employee gets his Buffalo Wings.”
Hester, Pat

One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas day. Don't clean it up too quickly!

Andy Rooney

El Zorro
Black Friday Pro

Postby El Zorro » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:01 pm

They can get all the bad press in the world, but as long as they made money it won't matter to the higher ups unfortunately

packers
Black Friday Pro

Postby packers » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:07 pm

I don't really care, but it annoys me that they call it "Black Friday" on Wednesday night or Thursday. Call it a Thanksgiving sale or "pre" BF sale. But to call it anything with Friday in the name not on a Friday drives me crazy. Am I the only one???

I think the way they release the ads now has made it less fun. I miss the days when ads were leaked by someone taking a picture and uploading it. It was way more fun to think we knew something others didn't. I will go whenever because I got some great prices on clothes and shoes yesterday that I needed.

john.daggett
Black Friday Pro

Should be renamed

Postby john.daggett » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Should be renamed to Turkeyless Thursday. If you jump in line now you will save yourself 200$ by not buying a turkey

VerbalI11-23
Black Friday Pro

Postby VerbalI11-23 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:42 pm

might as well call it black thursday.

cddd
Black Friday Pro

Postby cddd » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:16 pm

I just don't like it. It's messed up my whole tradition that I've had for years. I want my BF back....emphasis on the FRIDAY!

I say that, but I will probably be back out there again next year....so long as it doesn't start any earlier than 8:00 though.

mrs.bigevv
Black Friday Pro

Postby mrs.bigevv » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:23 pm

packers wrote:I don't really care, but it annoys me that they call it "Black Friday" on Wednesday night or Thursday. Call it a Thanksgiving sale or "pre" BF sale. But to call it anything with Friday in the name not on a Friday drives me crazy. Am I the only one???

I think the way they release the ads now has made it less fun. I miss the days when ads were leaked by someone taking a picture and uploading it. It was way more fun to think we knew something others didn't. I will go whenever because I got some great prices on clothes and shoes yesterday that I needed.

Agree 100%!!!! Although the 8 pm I thought was perfect... out and home by midnight for the second round. First round was that morning, while bigevv and youngest daughter stood at K-Mart. Nearly a fight there with his daughter, two women tried to cut in line and no one was having it.

bfaddict
Black Friday Pro

Postby bfaddict » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:25 pm

maybe they'll all follow JC Penny's lead and open LATER.
the past few years JCP has opened at 4 am, and if the mall opened at midnight then they opened to.

this year, they opened at 6 am and did not open with the mall. that was kind of disappointing as i knew i wouldn't be out shopping at 6.

Return to “Off Topic”