Need ideas for making Santa seem real on Xmas Night?

Anything non-Black Friday/non-deal related

Moderators: Tony, Huy, cematra173, killasnake

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Need ideas for making Santa seem real on Xmas Night?

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Backstory- My daughter (4) asked me if vampires were real I said no they are like spongebob just on tv (stupid mommy).....she thinks about it a second and says "so is santa real" (well crap) I say he is real as long as you believe (what my lame parents told me) so I tell her dad what happened and he says oh no you lie to that baby she is only 4 and that was lame. so I go tell her that mommy was wrong vampires are real they live in transylvania (they had just seen that movie) santa lives at north pole and she says oh no mommy you were wrong! (great the mom the myth the legend destroyed in 3 seconds) BUT she has a bit of an acquiring mind asking alot of questions still so what do i do to make santa seem more real?

get one to come to the house?
elf on the shelf? (remember this child thinks they are creepy lol)
baby powder foot prints xmas morning?
reindeer poo in the yard? (grasping at straws I know)
any help???

lil_Jean
Black Friday Pro

Re: Need ideas for making Santa seem real on Xmas Night?

Postby lil_Jean » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Santa came and dropped off a puppy last year. They called him out on being a fake Santa and he had to say he was a helper. :lol:

3 & 5 at the time.
The BFAds Oath: On my honour I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to bfads, and to the members of its forum to cause lots of trouble, keeping its admin on their toes, and to the live by its Mischievous Law.

Shopper X
Suspected Line Jumper

Postby Shopper X » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:56 pm

I think that your daughter already knew before she asked you. She seems pretty smart-- smart enough to lay a trap for you. I also think what you originally told her was fine and was the right way to handle it.

However, to answer the question, I think the way to convince her that Santa is real is to convince her that you believe that Santa is real. Maybe ask her for advice deciding what type of cookies to make for Santa. Act real concerned that the cookies you had planned to make might not be the right ones, that Santa might prefer a different type of cookie. Or, maybe tell her, "Sorry I can't play with you tonight. I need to spend a few hours making my list for Santa." (And, then let her see you busy with catalogs strewn about, working hard to put together your list.)

I think that your daughter is way too smart to fall for any of the other usual tricks.

GinaBeana87
Black Friday Pro

Postby GinaBeana87 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:57 pm

Could Santa leave her a letter where the cookies and milk were? My parents always did that and we used to think it was so cool! Be sure to change your handwriting a bit though because kids are way smarter than we give them credit for!

LarandaW
Black Friday Pro

Postby LarandaW » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:10 pm

I always get some jingle bells and rattle them around midnight to add to the effect of Santa's Sleigh....or you could drop one like it fell off (Polar Express reference) The above ideas are nice too......but how do you make reindeer poo?? Giggling :lol:
I have a wild inquisitive -OMG the holidays are coming run wild -4 year old here so I understand you on that. I hope you can continue the magic.

If it makes you feel any better I hear there are crazies that do drink blood and call themselves vampires so it's not really a lie :D

crazymomofthree
Black Friday Pro

Postby crazymomofthree » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:12 pm

That's what I do is pretend I still believe and do and say little things to them to make them believe. It has worked for us, so far my oldest two believed up til they were 12 even though they heard he wasn't real I played it good. Santa also leaves cookie crumbs for them to clean up and a little something (letter, candy, small gifts) beside the plate for them. He also covers the tree in candy canes. One year we did leave footprints since we were getting lots of questions that year. My kids would really freak if I told them vampires were real, but have never seemed to be scared of Santa which is a good thing cause I feared him for many years as a child.

luv2cdolfinz
Black Friday Pro

Postby luv2cdolfinz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:15 pm

www.portablenorthpole.com <- 5 year old my niece loved this one!

http://www.icaughtsanta.com

hiker
Official Zipper

Postby hiker » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Two years ago, I had arranged for "Santa" to drop by the house... One of my neighbors and his dad climbed on our roof and made "reigndeer" sounds, and then I had one of my friends dress as Santa and he opened the front door and came in... The look on my kids faces were priceless.. They were 3 and 6 at the time. The entire time my son (the older one) had his mouth open. Now I hear about talks at school where kids say Santa isnt real, and my son argues the contrary.

I did have to keep my kids up rather late though for Santa to show up... think he came around 11pm or so...

(Also, my kids visited North Pole, AK, where Santa and his wife live (an older couple that pretend almost all year round), so my kids really believe now...)

iamkristen
Black Friday Pro

Postby iamkristen » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:28 pm

My parents had some kind of electronic bell one year. I'll never forget it. I definitely thought it was real!!

lil_Jean
Black Friday Pro

Postby lil_Jean » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Its kinda long but you can see Santa dropping off Snowball! If you have Santa stop by RECORD IT!

We were making goofy "videos" on the webcam when he decided to stop by "wink wink"

https://www.facebook.com/v/10150424598376741
The BFAds Oath: On my honour I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to bfads, and to the members of its forum to cause lots of trouble, keeping its admin on their toes, and to the live by its Mischievous Law.

steffj89
Black Friday Pro

Postby steffj89 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 pm

if you have a veggie peeler...leave a few whole carrots out when they go to bed and leave some shredded carrots outside your front door etc....where the reindeer might be....
www.myinitials-inc.com/steffsbags/
steffsbags@ymail.com
Because there's only one You!!

tandlmomma
Black Friday Pro

Postby tandlmomma » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:15 pm

LarandaW wrote:I always get some jingle bells and rattle them around midnight to add to the effect of Santa's Sleigh....

That's what I was going to suggest. Maybe having your husband or someone go outside around 7 or 8pm on Christmas Eve and rattle some jingle bells. And then ask her if she heard that noise. Then follow it up with "He must be at the neighbor's house"

Kento87
Black Friday Pro

Postby Kento87 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:21 pm

LarandaW wrote:.but how do you make reindeer poo?? Giggling :lol:

Chocolate covered raisins!

carmenslackey
Black Friday Pro

Postby carmenslackey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Norad tracks santa is a good website to check out. Even though my son is too old for Santa, we still watch it every year on Christmas Eve.

I've also done some of the things mentioned here. We've bought the 'From Santa' cards at Hallmark, and since I can write in calligraphy, that was pretty convincing for him. Also, we left reindeer food in the backyard for Santa's reindeer and when he woke up Christmas morning, it was magically gone (read as: I let the dog outside after he went to bed lol). My dad also has a friend that looks and sounds just like Santa, real beard and all, who walked up to him "randomly" at the grocery store to ask if he was being a good boy that year. The look on his face was priceless. :wink:

Overall though, no matter the age, kids will believe whatever they want to believe. I agree that under 5 is too young not to believe, however, it's not unheard of. My nieces both stopped believing in Santa when they were around 6 and 7 years old. My son however, I dragged it out with him as long as I could without him being picked on at school. I told him 2 years ago, at Easter, to lessen the blow.

Best of luck to you! :)

mechimpaired
Black Friday Pro

Postby mechimpaired » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:50 pm

I appreciate everyone's input I did start talking about what I wanted from Santa and so did my husband to our daughter. Then she started asking different questions(less skeptical more magical) about Santa like what his favorite milk is lol. I told her a story about how I saw santa when I was little and he told me his was strawberry ha ha(more indepth since I was trying to sell it lol). We are still gonna make it shine this year. Some foot prints, bells, reindeer food, and reindeer poo (Chocolate covered peanuts or brownies mushed together). The female elf and the movie are coming the weekend of Thanksgiving. Looking into Jean's idea as well.

My son was interested in what Santa looked like and of course we needed a fireplace..then he said noooo we don't need a fireplace Santa would burn his butt lol My kids.

Return to “Off Topic”